• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Won't take the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree that Taylor is imperfect. In fact, I personally would like to see what our other options look like. But I generally trust that our coaches want to win and know better than I do who to play. What I don't like is people trying to pin every problem our team has on Martinez. I don't understand why people hate him so much.

Agree there are other problems. But I think the limitations on O with Taylor in there is why this O bogs down all too often. That puts added pressure on everyone. There are many other problems though, including lack of discipline and turnovers (especially red zone to's). A more dynamic guy in there may be able to keep everyone else focused.

It's funny that opposing coaches respect Martinez more than Husker fans. Carolina had a couple guys spying Martinez. Put someone in there who is less of a threat, and the rest of the offense doesn't go like it did today. It's funny, but it's more sad than funny.

Wrong. There are few QBs who are LESS of a threat than Taylor Martinez. You, and others, need to forget about what you saw in the games like UT-Chattanooga and what you will see against Arkansas State next year. The kid simply is not a threat with his feet. He had one carry for 36 yards and 15 for 1. he cannot scramble. He cannot get tough yards. he has no presence in the pocket. he has very little quickness (do you know the difference between quickness and straight-line speed?). He's a wildly mediocre passer.

Tell me what he brings to the offense? Give me a great runner or a very good passer...not someone who isn't good at either.

You won't find out before 2014.

That wouldn't surprise me.

As a result of Carnes getting next to zero playing time this season, that's made it even more unlikely for him to unseat Martinez next season. We don't have an experienced QB other than Martinez -- and Bo simply has a love affair with the kid. Bo would have to say "I was wrong," and begin to make the move toward Carnes in the offseason... and I simply cannot fathom him doing that (maybe I'm wrong).

I believe that 37 yards has sack numbers subtracted. So, I don't know, maybe you want to blame the sacks on Martinez, but I think he was in bad positions due in part to penalties. Of course he's not going to fare well on 3rd and 15 against one of the better pass rushing teams in the country.

Don't take my word for it, the announcers mentioned several times how the defense was primarily trying to stop Martinez. That's respect from the South Carolina defense and coaches- people who know football.

The next sack he avoids will be the first.

true. he is the "least tough" quarterback i've ever personally seen at nebraska ... any pressure -- behind the line or in the open field -- and he's going down

It's almost as if when he is scrambling or running the ball he looks for a defender to run into so he can get tackled. He is not a tough QB and, more importantly, he is not a leader. The rest of the O does not follow him.

Wrong. There are few QBs who are LESS of a threat than Taylor Martinez. You, and others, need to forget about what you saw in the games like UT-Chattanooga and what you will see against Arkansas State next year. The kid simply is not a threat with his feet. He had one carry for 36 yards and 15 for 1. he cannot scramble. He cannot get tough yards. he has no presence in the pocket. he has very little quickness (do you know the difference between quickness and straight-line speed?). He's a wildly mediocre passer.

Tell me what he brings to the offense? Give me a great runner or a very good passer...not someone who isn't good at either.

I do agree with you, though, one strength that seems to have developed is his abililty to better read the D's. Unfortunately, lack of execution remains a huge issue. Maybe he should be on the sidelines reading D's for another QB. At this point, I don't know what the answer is.

I have said all along he is the least mobile running QB I've ever seen.

That wouldn't surprise me.

As a result of Carnes getting next to zero playing time this season, that's made it even more unlikely for him to unseat Martinez next season. We don't have an experienced QB other than Martinez -- and Bo simply has a love affair with the kid. Bo would have to say "I was wrong," and begin to make the move toward Carnes in the offseason... and I simply cannot fathom him doing that (maybe I'm wrong).

Wouldn't surprise me to see carnes leave. Tommie Frazier was on the radio a month ago or so and said he wouldn't really blame him.

We have to face it two more years of this as I don't see Pelini changing.

How about changing Pelini. It appears that when NU has a big game, our team does not show up. Look at Wisconsin. Look at Michigan. Look at Northwesterrn (Northwestern, really?). Look at the two Big XII championship games or Texas A&M. The examples are too numerous to talk about. That is coaching, and evidently our coaching sucks.

true. he is the "least tough" quarterback i've ever personally seen at nebraska ... any pressure -- behind the line or in the open field -- and he's going down

Russel Wilson just made a play in the Rose Bowl that I don't ever expect TM to make. The play and the pocket broke down...he scrambled and kept his eyes downfield....found Ball and make a big play. Instantly I told my GF..."that's simply a play TM cannot make."

Wouldn't surprise me to see carnes leave. Tommie Frazier was on the radio a month ago or so and said he wouldn't really blame him.

i wouldn't want to be a backup QB on this team either. heck, if i was a high school recruit at that position, i'd go elsewhere.... might as well say to such a recruit, "feel free to sign with us, but you're going to have to wait another two years before we even consider you."

Last edited:

How about changing Pelini. It appears that when NU has a big game, our team does not show up. Look at Wisconsin. Look at Michigan. Look at Northwesterrn (Northwestern, really?). Look at the two Big XII championship games or Texas A&M. The examples are too numerous to talk about. That is coaching, and evidently our coaching sucks.

You don't fire 9 win coaches......er again.

Bo will either start to right the listing ship or at some point we are looking at another .500-esque season and changes can be considered. This team is not that far from the latter I'm afraid. Talent gaps plus poor QB play plus poor discipline is a frightening combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back