• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Won't take the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't fire 9 win coaches......er again.

Bo will either start to right the listing ship or at some point we are looking at another .500-esque season and changes can be considered. This team is not that far from the latter I'm afraid. Talent gaps plus poor QB play plus poor discipline is a frightening combo.

All these things prove my point. Poor coaching.

All these things prove my point. Poor coaching.

Yeah, but you don't fire a 9 win coach.

And if you read my post you will see that Bo is either going to right the ship or we are going to have another cruddy season before too long and he will be squarely on the hot seat.

Russel Wilson just made a play in the Rose Bowl that I don't ever expect TM to make. The play and the pocket broke down...he scrambled and kept his eyes downfield....found Ball and make a big play. Instantly I told my GF..."that's simply a play TM cannot make."

I saw that throw and thought the same thing. If he is playing for the Huskers I think it's possible we are an undefeated team even with the defensive lapses.

Yeah, but you don't fire a 9 win coach.

And if you read my post you will see that Bo is either going to right the ship or we are going to have another cruddy season before too long and he will be squarely on the hot seat.

I think we shouldn't fire him, BUT he needs to be put on a very hot seat. I can accept losses if the game is close and we are in it all the way. I cannot accept the string of inexplicable losses in which the team embarrasses itself and the fan base. We have had way to many of those lately. This is not what should be seen from the winning-est program in college football since 1970. It is time for Pelini to be held accountable to the history and tradition of what has been one of the great football powers for the last 40 years. In a world of 12 games per season, 9 and 3 is not good enough for this program. And now we are 9 and 4.

Russel Wilson just made a play in the Rose Bowl that I don't ever expect TM to make. The play and the pocket broke down...he scrambled and kept his eyes downfield....found Ball and make a big play. Instantly I told my GF..."that's simply a play TM cannot make."

Funny, I was watching that play as well and thought the same thing. I didn't say anything to my wife about it though as she is tired of my bitching today. :)

lol, Taylor is the least of our problems. Nebraska has to compete against an opponent and themselves every week. Penalties, dropped passes and turnovers is our Mantra. Bo's teams have been dreadful in these areas and today is pretty much who we are and what we do. Business as usual.

If Taylor is the least of our problems, then I fear the patient is terminal...:(

I think we shouldn't fire him, BUT he needs to be put on a very hot seat. I can accept losses if the game is close and we are in it all the way. I cannot accept the string of inexplicable losses in which the team embarrasses itself and the fan base. We have had way to many of those lately. This is not what should be seen from the winning-est program in college football since 1970. It is time for Pelini to be held accountable to the history and tradition of what has been one of the great football powers for the last 40 years. In a world of 12 games per season, 9 and 3 is not good enough for this program. And now we are 9 and 4.

What you can accept has little to no bearing (actually the latter) on what Tom Osborne should do.

Who you gonna hire?

Turd Furguson? That's about who we get if we start hot seating 9 win coaches.

Lots of programs with tradition and power have struggled of late. Look at Florida, Florida State, Miami, ND, Michigan (until this year), Texas the last two years, so on and so forth. The margin for error for winning in college football is much narrower and we are going to have 9 win seasons. In fact, overall they should be viewed as a success. Nobody is saying that this is the pinnacle, least of all me, but I'm not blind to the realities of college football circa 2012 and not the least the realities of trying to rebuild a power located in a sparsely populated rural state far from recruiting hotbeds.

Again, I am as concerned about the direction of the program as the next guy, certainly after watching another season reeking of drive killing penalties, mental lapses, and shoddy QB play.

I don't know if Bo is the answer, certainly I am less confident than I was at this time last year. But, time will tell if I am right or if I am wrong. While it may be frustrating for some of the fan base to be patient enough for the Bo Pelini era to fully define itself, that is what has to happen. I hope Bo figures it out.

GBR!

Wrong. There are few QBs who are LESS of a threat than Taylor Martinez. You, and others, need to forget about what you saw in the games like UT-Chattanooga and what you will see against Arkansas State next year. The kid simply is not a threat with his feet. He had one carry for 36 yards and 15 for 1. he cannot scramble. He cannot get tough yards. he has no presence in the pocket. he has very little quickness (do you know the difference between quickness and straight-line speed?). He's a wildly mediocre passer.

Tell me what he brings to the offense? Give me a great runner or a very good passer...not someone who isn't good at either.

I'm no expert. I'm going by what opposing coaches say. Without exception, they say they need to stop Martinez. Is it possible that the reason he doesn't bust off as many long runs is because they are defending it? And as for what that opens up, I'd say the rest of our offense had been pretty successful: Rex, passing, option.

We saw him twice today take two balls nearly in for touchdowns. Like I said, I'm no expert, but when the coaches, teammates, and opposing coaches all say he's a huge weapon, what inside information do you have to refute all these people? If you have some info let me know.

I'm no expert. I'm going by what opposing coaches say. Without exception, they say they need to stop Martinez. Is it possible that the reason he doesn't bust off as many long runs is because they are defending it? And as for what that opens up, I'd say the rest of our offense had been pretty successful: Rex, passing, option.

We saw him twice today take two balls nearly in for touchdowns. Like I said, I'm no expert, but when the coaches, teammates, and opposing coaches all say he's a huge weapon, what inside information do you have to refute all these people? If you have some info let me know.

The next time I hear a coach say that the opponent's QB is no good will be the first time. Of course they're going to say those types of things. Here's the big question, though... why are so many teams successful at stopping Martinez?

Bo is not the problem. It is QB play. We are mired in mediocrity until we have a play maker.

The next time I hear a coach say that the opponent's QB is no good will be the first time. Of course they're going to say those types of things. Here's the big question, though... why are so many teams successful at stopping Martinez?

Because they commit to it. Is it any different than us keying in on a passing QB like Gabbert, Foles, Jones, Locker, Cousins, etc.? But to do that, you give (and get) opportunities in other areas. We won 9 games this year and should have won today's bowl, NW, and Michigan also, except for dumb mistakes. Wisconsin most effectively shut down Martinez, forcing him to throw and then disguising coverages (helped out by Beck's poor playcalling). :2cents:

Also, you don't have to say either "he's no good" or "we need to stop Martinez." When asked how to defend Nebraska, they all say they need to stop Martinez. When asked how we would defend SC, for example, we didn't single out their QB.

Last edited:

Spot on. No different than the praise Doc receives from opposing coaches. Shut down Taylor running, apparently not that difficult to do, and NU becomes extremely one-dimensional (Burkhead). He can't carry the full load though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back