• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Won't take the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that opposing coaches respect Martinez more than Husker fans. Carolina had a couple guys spying Martinez. Put someone in there who is less of a threat, and the rest of the offense doesn't go like it did today. It's funny, but it's more sad than funny.

you think teams respect RG3? I bet they do and yet he continues to beat people in many many ways other than with his feet..TM no

It's funny that opposing coaches respect Martinez more than Husker fans. Carolina had a couple guys spying Martinez. Put someone in there who is less of a threat, and the rest of the offense doesn't go like it did today. It's funny, but it's more sad than funny.

Less of a threat to do what? You are implying that there isn't any QB you could put into the offense that would make things better. We have reached the pinnacle of offensive excellence with Martinez?

:confused:

The offense produced 252 yards, ZERO points after the first quarter, something like 2 first downs in the 2nd half and were 3 for 12 on 3rd down.

ummmm......

Last edited:
Then if you know the other team is going to key on your mobile QB...can you adjust for that say maybe with the pass. Instead we run the option, that would work if you could hit a pass or have someone that could catch the ball

Martinez ran for only 38 yards (2.4/carry)....and Burkhead didn't get over 100. How was it that USC was so concerned and preoccupied with Martinez again...

you think teams respect RG3? I bet they do and yet he continues to beat people in many many ways other than with his feet..TM no

Oh, do we have a Heisman winner on the roster we're not playing because of Pelini's irrational devotion to Martinez? :)

My point is, some of Martinez ineffectiveness is due to defensive gameplanning against him, which necessarily opens up other offensive opportunities. Martinez didn't play bad today, and certainly didn't lose us the game. We have much bigger problems than him: team-wide discipline and lack of leadership.

We have a LOT of issues beyond the QB . . . but I do agree that I think we've seen what Martinez has at this point and I don't think he's the solution. But now I think the staff is stuck to some degree. Pelini has hitched his wagon to Martinez--he knows the offense and is good enough to win 8-9 games. Unless one of the younger guys comes on in the fall and plays lights out . . . I seriously doubt they get the chance to start. I can't see the coaches risking a "learning year" for someone to get the experience they need and have Tmart ride the bench.

But I think if there is anyone close to ready then they should put Martinez at receiver or backup and see what happens. I'm ready to see where that would go. A good runner with a better-than-average arm would be better. Look at USC's soph QB vs ours . . . I'd gladly give up raw speed and shaky passing (and sometimes gawd awful decision making) for good speed, good decision making and a legitimate passig threat.

Martinez ran for only 38 yards (2.4/carry)....and Burkhead didn't get over 100. How was it that USC was so concerned and preoccupied with Martinez again...

I believe that 37 yards has sack numbers subtracted. So, I don't know, maybe you want to blame the sacks on Martinez, but I think he was in bad positions due in part to penalties. Of course he's not going to fare well on 3rd and 15 against one of the better pass rushing teams in the country.

Don't take my word for it, the announcers mentioned several times how the defense was primarily trying to stop Martinez. That's respect from the South Carolina defense and coaches- people who know football.

I actually thought martinez (except for the one pick) played well enough today for us to win this game. The main thing he hasnt improved on yet is his pocket presence under a fierce rush. If the offense manages to stay out of obvious passing downs, he does well. When the team keeps putting him in that situation with dropped passes and penalties, it gets ugly.

I believe that 37 yards has sack numbers subtracted. So, I don't know, maybe you want to blame the sacks on Martinez, but I think he was in bad positions due in part to penalties. Of course he's not going to fare well on 3rd and 15 against one of the better pass rushing teams in the country.

Don't take my word for it, the announcers mentioned several times how the defense was primarily trying to stop Martinez. That's respect from the South Carolina defense and coaches- people who know football.

Fair points. How do his misreads in the zone read plays stack up? This is a full 2 year starter. That is UNACCEPTABLE! He reminds me a bit of Tony Romo. He looks good enough but will never lead his team to ANYTHING! The kid cannot pass the football. True enough that the occasions when his passes are catchable the receivers drop them. But he is not a D1 QB! If that is the best NU has then the coaching staff is not doing their job.

Oh, do we have a Heisman winner on the roster we're not playing because of Pelini's irrational devotion to Martinez? :)

My point is, some of Martinez ineffectiveness is due to defensive gameplanning against him, which necessarily opens up other offensive opportunities. Martinez didn't play bad today, and certainly didn't lose us the game. We have much bigger problems than him: team-wide discipline and lack of leadership.

Well, let's be honest. Bringing up a spy adds another defender to stop the run and therefore, only hurts Burkhead. Bringing up a spy would open up the passing game, not the running game. I didn't see TMart tearing up the defense slinging the ball around to open receivers because they "used up" one of their pass defenders with a spy.

Are you saying our coaches dont know football? If so then i would have to agree because it showed they didnt have a game plan to counter the attention TM would draw. Now if we had and TM was able to execute it then they would have to adjust leaving TM a little more open to what he does best...run. If they had a plan to draw the attention away from TM ...then it is on TMs shoulders to execute that which then can not be blamed on the coaches.

I actually thought martinez (except for the one pick) played well enough today for us to win this game. The main thing he hasnt improved on yet is his pocket presence under a fierce rush. If the offense manages to stay out of obvious passing downs, he does well. When the team keeps putting him in that situation with dropped passes and penalties, it gets ugly.
It's hard to know how much of our problems in those situations are Martinez and how much are Beck. We don't know what's being asked of Martinez in those situations.

Bo and co have not demonstrated any ability to deal with the routine mental breakdowns of this team. Mistake after mistake after mistake is often the norm rather than the exception.

Frustrating to watch today. Self inflicted wounds.

I hope I'm wrong, but, it may be that Bo IS the "mental breakdown" for this team. As bright and good as he is the team continues to reflect an undisciplined character.

He was getting zero protection toward the end. It was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back