• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Won't take the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they commit to it. Is it any different than us keying in on a passing QB like Gabbert, Foles, Jones, Locker, Cousins, etc.? But to do that, you give (and get) opportunities in other areas. We won 9 games this year and should have won today's bowl, NW, and Michigan also, except for dumb mistakes. Wisconsin most effectively shut down Martinez, forcing him to throw and then disguising coverages (helped out by Beck's poor playcalling). :2cents:

Also, you don't have to say either "he's no good" or "we need to stop Martinez." When asked how to defend Nebraska, they all say they need to stop Martinez. When asked how we would defend SC, for example, we didn't single out their QB.

It must be relatively easy to stop Martinez, because there are a number of QBs that defenses focus on that still have a lot of success.

I don't know the answer, but I'm thinking he didn't have NU talent and facilities around him at the time...

I was responding to how RG3 beat teams with other things than his feet not with talent around him and facilities. RG3 got better as he went along, thats my point and so will Matrinez (he will be not RG3 but you never know)

Martinez was hassled every time he dropped back to pass once NU was playing from behind. Since he can't avoid the rush, we shouldn't drop him back like that and let him get rushed. This seems pretty clear.

TM was more effective earlier in the game, hitting big passes downfield, with the significant exception of the INT at the end of the first half, a pass that never should have been called or thrown.

First year in a new system, inexperienced OL, sophomore QB, no game-breakers at receiver, tons of super costly breakdowns in the secondary including today, no defensive coordinator for this game. Most of all, a good opponent. Lots of other areas to place the blame besides Taylor Martinez.

The program cannot take the next step until

1. A QB develops - Say what you want. I'm sure he is a good kid. I'll support him as long as he is under center. But........no matter the outcome of this game TM does not have the skills to be the QB of an elite team. Again, remind me what he does well besides run fast in the wide open field?? At times, he runs the option well. At times, he makes a decent pass. But, look at the BCS teams? What do most of them have in common? Good QB play. We haven't had a good QB since Ganz. Until this staff finds and develops someone, we are looking at a team that is 15 to 25 at best.

2. The discipline problems are dealt with - You cannot consistently be successful consistently losing the turnover and penalty battle. To this point, I am very concerned. Bo and co have not demonstrated any ability to deal with the routine mental breakdowns of this team. Mistake after mistake after mistake is often the norm rather than the exception.

Frustrating to watch today. Self inflicted wounds.

In reading through the postings, this quote (and subsequent comments) pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game and the season. I'm still in Pelini's court -- he's stabilized the patient, but we're far from out of the woods. TM, after two seasons at the helm, is still incredibly inconsistent. Today's loss was certainly not on him alone -- mental lapses across the board doomed the Huskers -- but, as I watch him, I just don't get that sense that he'll make something out of nothing. When the game is on the line, it's a toss up as to what will happen. You just hold your breath and hope for the best.

As I've said, I'm still in Pelini's court and think he can (I hope he can) grow as a coach. But I simply cannot understand NEVER letting a back up QB play, even when the game is out of reach. Is Carnes really that bad? Also, as we've all said, the lack of discipline on the field is unconscionable. For a team to commit so many unforced errors is just hard to believe. The second half was characterized by one breakdown after another.

I am so tired of saying that "the other team didn't win the game, we lost it". Sang that tune again today. But I'm afraid it's to song we're all going to be singing until Chi-Town Cubes issues are addressed.

I'm no expert. I'm going by what opposing coaches say. Without exception, they say they need to stop Martinez. Is it possible that the reason he doesn't bust off as many long runs is because they are defending it? And as for what that opens up, I'd say the rest of our offense had been pretty successful: Rex, passing, option.

We saw him twice today take two balls nearly in for touchdowns. Like I said, I'm no expert, but when the coaches, teammates, and opposing coaches all say he's a huge weapon, what inside information do you have to refute all these people? If you have some info let me know.

Well...yes...the guy for NU that has the ball on every play must be accounted for. For Nebraska that means you don't let Martinez get loose. Don't give him wide open lanes to run through. That's pretty damn basic defense though. And you say it opens up stuff. What stuff? Passing? Yeah, ALL defenses pick their poison to an extent. With NU you don't let TM run and beg him to throw.

My inside info it watching the guy play for 2 years. What I see is he has few strengths that allow for him to regularly hurt defenses of decent teams. I see poor vision, lack of pocket presence, poor quickness, bad decision making and mostly ineffective passing.

Well...yes...the guy for NU that has the ball on every play must be accounted for. For Nebraska that means you don't let Martinez get loose. Don't give him wide open lanes to run through. That's pretty damn basic defense though. And you say it opens up stuff. What stuff? Passing? Yeah, ALL defenses pick their poison to an extent. With NU you don't let TM run and beg him to throw.

My inside info it watching the guy play for 2 years. What I see is he has few strengths that allow for him to regularly hurt defenses of decent teams. I see poor vision, lack of pocket presence, poor quickness, bad decision making and mostly ineffective passing.

I won't take credit for this (and I can't remember who said it) but Tayor Martinez can best be described as the best high school QB in America.

I do agree with you, though, one strength that seems to have developed is his abililty to better read the D's. Unfortunately, lack of execution remains a huge issue. Maybe he should be on the sidelines reading D's for another QB. At this point, I don't know what the answer is.

I have said all along he is the least mobile running QB I've ever seen.

how about stick him right along the sideline as a wide reciever every play and all he does is sprint down the sideline. at least it would take a couple dbs out of every play while they are trying to run him down. all you have to do is actually throw it to him every now and again to keep the d honest. what do you think? :thumbsup:

I do wonder why the coaching staff doesn't see this as well.

If it's me, I go out and get a Zac Taylor-type from the JUCOs to distribute the ball and let the backs and receivers do the running and the make-'em-miss stuff....

If you can't stretch the field in today's college game, you're destined for at best 3rd place conference finishes and brief visits to the top 20....

Last edited:

So, in a nutshell, you believe you are a better judge of Martinez ability than Bo Pelini (and opposing coaches who gameplan against Martinez)? This is what you're saying, right? Martinez doesn't pass the infamous "eye test?"

So, in a nutshell, you believe you are a better judge of Martinez ability than Bo Pelini (and opposing coaches who gameplan against Martinez)? This is what you're saying, right? Martinez doesn't pass the infamous "eye test?"

I can only assume that Bo knows Martinez isn't very good...and has nobody to replace him with...which, of course, is their own fault.

That, or they are simply enamored with what they think he COULD be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back