• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Will Bo Pelini be coaching at NU next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd still like to see examples of the year 5 and year 6 dip in successful coaches' careers. I'd never heard of that before.

I'd still like to see examples of the year 5 and year 6 dip in successful coaches' careers. I'd never heard of that before.

Bob Devaney (documented)
Bobby Bowden (WVU - 23-8 in first three seasons; 10-12 in yr4 and yr5)(FSU - 44-14 in first five seasons; 6-5 in yr 6 ... followed by some a smattering of down years and significant drop toward the end)
Jo Pa (37-7 first 4 years; 7-3 in year 5... followed by a smattering of poor seasons)

to name a few.

Any modern examples? You're talking about the 1970s and all these coaches are retired now. The game has changed a lot since then.

Also, Osborne beat Oklahoma for the first time in year 6. That doesn't seem like a down year at all to me.

This from a coach that just finished a game with Alaba..oh wait Minnesota....

calm and collected.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F-JBkJqjtmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't conveniently leave anything out. The point is, there may be a dip as transition year players cycle through.

Personally, I think we've been hurt most not by a lack of talent but by a lack of continuity in the assistant ranks. We need to get that squared away.

And the solution probably isn't to blow the whole thing up and start over from scratch.

This from a coach that just finished a game with Alaba..oh wait Minnesota....

calm and collected.

Did you hear something other than calm and collected there?

Or is that your complaint?

Hard to keep track of all the various complaints, as they change from week to week to fit the agenda.

I'm not sure how anyone can watch this past Saturday's game and come away thinking, yeah but the next guy could be even worse. I feel pretty confident that there are coaches out there who can leverage NU's financial resources and dedicated fan base into losing efforts against Minnesota. NU was out-schemed, out-coached, and out-played. It was amateur hour across the board. When the game was still in doubt, one camera shot of the Nebraska bench told the story - the team was totally rudderless.

Fear that the next guy could be worse is born of the Frank Solich situation. It was one decision by one very egomaniacal and misguided AD. It can't inform the program forever. Barring some kind of miracle home stretch, I think it's time for a change.

Much truth here.

I didn't conveniently leave anything out. The point is, there may be a dip as transition year players cycle through.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I just haven't seen any examples of it since the 1980s. And even before then, I've only seen Bowden and Devaney, who were both establishing their programs at a time when their schools hadn't been winning at all.

Personally, I think we've been hurt most not by a lack of talent but by a lack of continuity in the assistant ranks. We need to get that squared away.

So then... we need to give this whole coaching staff more time? Every head coach has to deal with staff turnover. And didn't the whole staff come back this year? I don't believe we lost any assistant coaches in the off-season. This isn't their first year or anything.

Bob Devaney (documented)
Bobby Bowden (WVU - 23-8 in first three seasons; 10-12 in yr4 and yr5)(FSU - 44-14 in first five seasons; 6-5 in yr 6 ... followed by some a smattering of down years and significant drop toward the end)
Jo Pa (37-7 first 4 years; 7-3 in year 5... followed by a smattering of poor seasons)

to name a few.

This is simply confirmation bias. There isn't even close to enough data and way too many variables to isolate "transitional recruiting" as the cause of a coach struggling 6 years after taking a job. This is just another excuse for Bo.

This is simply confirmation bias. There isn't even close to enough data and way too many variables to isolate "transitional recruiting" as the cause of a coach struggling 6 years after taking a job. This is just another excuse for Bo.

Well, (a) let's see how the season plays out, and (b) I bet we could list on a single hand (maybe no hands) the number of teams that fired a coach with a 66% or better winning % and actually improved their position.

Can you think of one?

Did you hear something other than calm and collected there?

Or is that your complaint?

Hard to keep track of all the various complaints, as they change from week to week to fit the agenda.

I don't have an agenda

I have also said I could care less how BO acts. It's what is transferred onto the field.

What I heard was a coach that has no clue to what is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back