• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Will Bo Pelini be coaching at NU next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:

1) How come each year BP fails, we say "next year will be his defining season." after defining a previous season as his defining season (lol...defining).

2) I mentioned in another thread, but when Frankie was let go, DONU's national image wasn't completely awful. It is now. When Frank was fired, everyone scratched their heads. If we fire bo, even after he goes, say 8-5 or 9-4, everyone will understand and no heads will be scratched.

I agree with your #2. If Bo is let go it won't be because of his overall record and some ambiguous reasoning about "gravitating toward mediocrity." It will be the blowouts, the inexplicable losses, the lack of fundamentals, the tape, the sideline stuff, the treatment of the media, the hiring of only inexperienced staff, the player-personnel decisions, and probably some other stuff I'm leaving out-- without the records or championships to mitigate those things.

The only difference is we have NEVER had this young of a def.

Thing is, we had a senior filled Defense last year, Pelini recruits and a pretty veteran, mostly Juniors, Offense last year. What happened? Two huge blow outs, and, as GFOA puts it, an insane amount of luck in games we were 'supposed' to win to get out of those alive. I personally hoped getting out of that stretch alive meant our team had grit, but I think we were luckier than I originally thought considering how nothing has improved.

Yes, I too am tired of the "next year will be the breakthrough" talk. I've been saying that since 2009, but I'm not doing it anymore. Bo has the rest of this season to convince me he belongs here (not that I have much say in it).

Harms_Way and PaperIsDead are right. Firing Bo after an 8-4 season will not be frowned upon because of all the other things (blowouts, inexplicable losses, the tape, the easiest schedule we've maybe ever had, etc.).

And I don't understand the excuse that Bo's defense is too young this year. Isn't that Bo's fault? Why hasn't he been recruiting over the years? If there were holes, why didn't he get juco players to fill them? I know there's naturally some turnaround and every few years we may have a young defense, but this is ridiculous. And if this is a season for turnaround, why wasn't our veteran defense last year really strong? For a defensive guru, shouldn't the veteran defense of 2012 have been amazing?

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

1. Nebraska's national image isn't awful. I live in California and work on the east coast. Our image is average, much like Michigan, UCLA, Texas and countless others. This perception that everyone thinks we are terrible is just wrong.

2. I don't consider the last 5 seasons with Bo as failing seasons. Wildly successful? No. Failures? No. People need to check their calibrations.

3. I hope Bo is coaching here next season. I don't want to see another coaching change that's based on the hope that we'll maybe get someone better. When Callahan was fired, there was no doubt that after 2 losing seasons and reaching 9 wins once (finishing 9-5), there were at least a dozen better candidates available. That's not at all clear today.

I felt a lot of loyalty toward Solich, which influences what I thought of the decision to fire him (even objectively, it was utterly stupid to fire him at the end of '03). I personally feel little to no personal loyalty to Bo, although I think he's a good guy who has run an exceedingly clean/praise worthy program. Still, objectively, making a move on anything less than a sub .500 finish would be a poor decision, as it's more likely than not going to lead to equal or worse results.

Even if we do make a move, at some point, Husker fans need to consider whether we will always be as intolerant to less than TO like performances as we are now. Because there's maybe 2 or 3 coaches in football who haven't had, during their careers, games/seasons that make Nebraska fans scream. If we make coaching decision as though we are going to find someone who will never be upset or blown out, we are going to be constantly disappointed.

1. Nebraska's national image isn't awful. I live in California and work on the east coast. Our image is average, much like Michigan, UCLA, Texas and countless others. This perception that everyone thinks we are terrible is just wrong.

2. I don't consider the last 5 seasons with Bo as failing seasons. Wildly successful? No. Failures? No. People need to check their calibrations.

3. I hope Bo is coaching here next season. I don't want to see another coaching change that's based on the hope that we'll maybe get someone better. When Callahan was fired, there was no doubt that after 2 losing seasons and reaching 9 wins once (finishing 9-5), there were at least a dozen better candidates available. That's not at all clear today.

I felt a lot of loyalty toward Solich, which influences what I thought of the decision to fire him (even objectively, it was utterly stupid to fire him at the end of '03). I personally feel little to no personal loyalty to Bo, although I think he's a good guy who has run an exceedingly clean/praise worthy program. Still, objectively, making a move on anything less than a sub .500 finish would be a poor decision, as it's more likely than not going to lead to equal or worse results.

Even if we do make a move, at some point, Husker fans need to consider whether we will always be as intolerant to less than TO like performances as we are now. Because there's maybe 2 or 3 coaches in football who haven't had, during their careers, games/seasons that make Nebraska fans scream. If we make coaching decision as though we are going to find someone who will never be upset or blown out, we are going to be constantly disappointed.

Very well said.

Intolerant of less than TO performances is a BS argument. Husker fans want solid play from their team. They want teams that are fundamentally sound. They want teams that take the field and look like they belong there with any opponent that they face. We don't expect to win every game and be in the BCS every season but we do expect to be in the same class as any other team in the nation. There is no doubt that we are nowhere near the level of the elite teams which is fine, but we arent even on par to the 2nd level teams like UCLA. We get beaten up front where we have always had pride about our team and worst of all, we show absolutely no ability to adjust to what is being thrown at us.

There will always be games we lose, but we shouldn't never look clueless/helpless while doing so.

Things Shawn Eichorst might say to Bo Pelini:

10-2........"Good job, Bo. See you in Indianapolis!"
9-3.........."What things do you need for the bowl game, Bo?"
8-4..........."I know its a crappy bowl, but your team needs the practice, Bo."
7-5..........."You're kidding!. The 'Poulan Weed-eater Bowl'? You're seat is officially hot, Bo"
6-6..........."It's time to discuss you're severance package, Bo. No, you don't get to keep the SUV."
5-7..........."Better slip out of town quietly, that mob looks pretty angry, Bo."

Pretty much my thinking.

Win all 5 remaining games: Bo does somersaults and whistles Yankee doodle dandee.
Win 4: The above but does not whistle.
Win 3: Stays but commits to major staff changes
Win 2: Heads for the exit

Wow. I can probably find 10 high school coaches just here in the metroplex that could coach NU to a 7-5 record with their schedule this year. How many years are the true fans going to keep saying "if things don't get better next year" before they realize it's never going to happen?

I doubt you can find 10 Dallas-area high school coaches that would win even two games. If that were true, those coaches wouldn't be coaching high school football. Winning football games at the FBS level is not as easy as people seem to think it is. The absolutely great coaches (like Osborne) make it look easy, but that's what makes them great. If winning 7, 8, 9, 10 games were as easy as you (and some others) seem to think, a lot more coaches would be able to do it. But they're not. Because it's hard. It requires a crapload of work, day in and day out. It requires managing 100+ players, plus assistant coaches, plus the media, plus support staff, etc. And none of those things I just mention involve actually coaching the game of football. That's an entirely separate beast to conquer. Thousands have coached college football at the highest level. Many have been successful, but only a handful have really stood out over the 60 years.

Why would you want to keep Bo with a 7-5 record? Last time I checked 7 wins is not progress over 9 wins. And the 5 wins we have right now aren't impressive at all. Our opponents have a combined record of 13-25. The only team we've beat with a winning record is S Dakota St. And they're not even FBS! Had we played Wisky and Ohio St instead of Illinois and Purdue, we might be sitting here at 3-4. Bo's lucky the schedule is easy (supposed to be anyway) or 2013 would be his last at Nebraska.

Again, it's not easy. This schedule is not as difficult as last year's, but winning football games takes a lot of work. I'd probably keep Bo at 7-5 because I'm not someone that thinks the way forward necessarily involves burning something to the ground and starting over from scratch.

Listen very carefully to what I'm going to say here. Even the very best coaches in the history of football (and I'm not saying Bo is at that level, so don't try to twist this) have had down seasons. Saying that 7 wins is not progress over 9 wins is overly simplistic. Let's take Bobby Bowden, for example. You think he's a pretty good coach, right? Won a lot of football games, right? He came to FSU and went 5-6 in his first season. Then he kicked it up a notch, going 10-2, 8-3, 11-1, and 10-2 in his next four seasons. He had things rolling in Tallahassee, playing in consecutive Orange Bowls in 1979 and 1980. But then something happened, and for the next six seasons he won 9 games only twice. During that stretch, he never matched the success he had in his first few seasons. Are records like 6-5, 7-5, or 7-4-1 "progress" over the 11-1 team he had in 1979?

I'm sure you'll tell me that Florida State wasn't very good prior to his arrival. That's true, to a certain extent. The three seasons prior to his arrival, they were terrible. But before that, Florida State was actually a decent team. In a time when teams were playing only 10 regular season games plus an occasional bowl game, FSU was winning 6, 7, 8 games per year. They weren't great, but they weren't the worst team in the country.

By the logic used by many of the people here, Bobby Bowden should have been fired. He took another coach's recruits and fielded some good teams, but by the time he had a team full of nothing but his own recruits, he fell off big time. After going 39-8 over a four year stretch, he went 6-5 and couldn't reach double digit wins for the next SIX seasons. Talk about gravitating towards mediocrity.

What Nebraska fans need to understand is we are not entitled to national championships, conference championships, division championships, bowl games, or even a single win. We are entitled to NOTHING. Just like every other team out there, we have to earn our wins. The fact that Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney won a crapload of games has very little bearing on what we are doing in 2013. This is not to say that expectations should be lowered. No one should be HAPPY with 7-5 at Nebraska, just based on the simple fact that we ARE one of the big spenders, one of the heavyweights in the game. It just means that we need to be realistic and understand that just because there is a short term slip, it doesn't necessarily mean there are long term problems.

When a guy wins over 70% of his games throughout his first 5 seasons (especially after taking over for a complete train wreck), you'd think he could suffer through a 7 or 8 win season.

It happened to Bobby Bowden (as explained in this post).
It happened to Urban Meyer at Florida (8-5).
It appears to be happening to Chris Petersen this year (5-3).
It happened to Gary Patterson several times (6-6, 5-6, 8-5, 7-6, currently 3-5)
It happened to Nick Saban (8-4, 8-5, 9-3 in 5 of his seasons at LSU, and that doesn't include his poor record at MSU)

Pretty much any coach that you can find has had a disappointing season in which they only won 5, 6, or 7 games (or worse). Barry Switzer had three straight years where he won fewer than 9 games. Joe Paterno had a number of years like that as well. Bo Schembechler. Woody Hayes. Even Bud Wilkinson.

In fact, the only one in the past 50 years that DIDN'T ever have a season like that is Tom Osborne.

It's unrealistic, and unfair, to hold any coach to that standard.

Wow. I can probably find 10 high school coaches just here in the metroplex that could coach NU to a 7-5 record with their schedule this year. How many years are the true fans going to keep saying "if things don't get better next year" before they realize it's never going to happen?

I don't think there are even 2 or 3. Maybe 2 or 3 in history.

If we fire a coach that has 8 wins or more then we deserve all the ridicule that comes our way (Frank Solich). I personally would love to see what he can do with this young Def of ALL his players next year if he survives this year. It would definitely be a defining season on him staying or going. I know your all going to say this is all his players but look how young they are. Could be interesting. GBR

8 wins against this schedule is a joke. Complete failure. Utter meltdown.

The team performance is regressing. NU is not competitive with good teams...and is now losing to mediocre teams. NU will likely be an also-ran in one of the weaker division of a conference that's running about 5th best in the country. The team looks physically weak (just getting blown off the line against Minny). Disorganized. Confused. Conflicted. The HC has made several questionable "cronie" hires and hasn't exhibited a willingness to do anything BUT hire cronies for the most part. He's lost a large portion of the fan base...many of whom are simply watching games to see what happens but otherwise resigned to the fact that things are getting worse, not better. Complete mismanagement of the Martinez situation...bordering on incompetence.

The schedule coming up would not be all that daunting for a good football team. NW sucks. Period. Michigan is supremely beatable. Iowa...sorry...ain't buyin that one. PSU isn't very good. MSU...I suppose I have to give them some credit but 3 years ago that team doesn't score a point on NU. Coming into this season not many reasonable people considered 9-3 anywhere near "successful". 8-4 is crap. 7-5 is just unspeakable.

The team performance is regressing. NU is not competitive with good teams...and is now losing to mediocre teams. NU will likely be an also-ran in one of the weaker division of a conference that's running about 5th best in the country. The team looks physically weak (just getting blown off the line against Minny). Disorganized. Confused. Conflicted. The HC has made several questionable "cronie" hires and hasn't exhibited a willingness to do anything BUT hire cronies for the most part. He's lost a large portion of the fan base...many of whom are simply watching games to see what happens but otherwise resigned to the fact that things are getting worse, not better. Complete mismanagement of the Martinez situation...bordering on incompetence.

The schedule coming up would not be all that daunting for a good football team. NW sucks. Period. Michigan is supremely beatable. Iowa...sorry...ain't buyin that one. PSU isn't very good. MSU...I suppose I have to give them some credit but 3 years ago that team doesn't score a point on NU. Coming into this season not many reasonable people considered 9-3 anywhere near "successful". 8-4 is crap. 7-5 is just unspeakable.

But you have to admit, our field goal kicker has been good so far.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back