• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Will Bo Pelini be coaching at NU next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The team performance is regressing. NU is not competitive with good teams...and is now losing to mediocre teams. NU will likely be an also-ran in one of the weaker division of a conference that's running about 5th best in the country. The team looks physically weak (just getting blown off the line against Minny). Disorganized. Confused. Conflicted. The HC has made several questionable "cronie" hires and hasn't exhibited a willingness to do anything BUT hire cronies for the most part. He's lost a large portion of the fan base...many of whom are simply watching games to see what happens but otherwise resigned to the fact that things are getting worse, not better. Complete mismanagement of the Martinez situation...bordering on incompetence.

The schedule coming up would not be all that daunting for a good football team. NW sucks. Period. Michigan is supremely beatable. Iowa...sorry...ain't buyin that one. PSU isn't very good. MSU...I suppose I have to give them some credit but 3 years ago that team doesn't score a point on NU. Coming into this season not many reasonable people considered 9-3 anywhere near "successful". 8-4 is crap. 7-5 is just unspeakable.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I do believe in the notion that a coach's 5th and 6th teams are his worst. This is usually due to the fact that coaches have their worst recruiting classes early on. There are obviously examples where this isn't the case, but I think it is for Bo. Bo's first 2-3 classes sucked, especially on D. Its almost like he thought he could coach up any Defensive player in the country enough to win titles.

On the offense, this entire playing Tmart thing has me puzzled. I was confused in 2010 when he wouldn't play Green vs. Oklahoma and was confused Saturday vs. Minnesota.

We should never make a change out of fear, or fail to make a change out of fear. If Bo goes 2-3 I am 100% behind giving him the hook. He will have made his own bed with his early recruiting misses, failure to hire a better staff, poor game management, and an undying loyalty to an average, injury-prone, mistake-driven QB. These actions need to have consequences, as should a 7-5 record against our weakest schedule in years.

How about we don't give him a big raise and a two or three year (or FIVE) extension until we win a darn championship? My championship sweatshirts are wearing thin. I'm actually a little embarrassed to wear the one I bought in 98. It doesn't have to be a NC, just bring home the B1G trophy.

I'm not sure how anyone can watch this past Saturday's game and come away thinking, yeah but the next guy could be even worse. I feel pretty confident that there are coaches out there who can leverage NU's financial resources and dedicated fan base into losing efforts against Minnesota. NU was out-schemed, out-coached, and out-played. It was amateur hour across the board. When the game was still in doubt, one camera shot of the Nebraska bench told the story - the team was totally rudderless.

Fear that the next guy could be worse is born of the Frank Solich situation. It was one decision by one very egomaniacal and misguided AD. It can't inform the program forever. Barring some kind of miracle home stretch, I think it's time for a change.

Last edited:

Even I wouldn't fight too much if we slip to 6-6 or 5-7.

8, 9, 10 wins, and I still don't see how you can him.

You could always do what they did the last time a 9 win coach was let go; simply say it’s time to start moving in another direction.

I think the deal is already done. Bo will be gone no matter what.

I tend to agree but Frost will not be the next head coach. I hope cooler heads prevail and see how the season plays out.

Any decision will need to be made far before any bowl game. Otherwise you're late to the coaching search party.

Like so many threads, this one seems to have ‘morphed;’ from a ‘Will’ Bo Pelini be coaching at NU next year, to a ‘Should/Shouldn’t’ question. They are quite different things for the reason if a coaching change is being contemplated, things need to be happening, Now! The end of the season is simply too late to start the ‘process’ and puts the University in an untenable position. No real revelations here, this is merely a process similar to the one suggested by N2FL in his article published elsewhere on HM.

The 'deal' may not be 'done' but I think a preliminary decision may have been reached; and the process started. Resumés are being reviewed (or should be), and discrete inquiries initiated.

As some have indicated, a decision needs to be made far in advance of any Bowl Game. The same goes for 'waiting to see how the season plays out' before making any decision – it is simply too late to begin the process. This is precisely what happened when the prior coach with a winning record was fired. We all remember the immense pressure put on the AD to come up with a new (hopefully high-profile) hire - Pronto, or else risk losing the recruiting class and maybe the 'Team' and 'Program.' None of us wants to see that scenario repeated! If the record deteriorates as the season progresses through the toughest part of the schedule, you are at least in a better position to effect a change.

In the event of a sweep, winning most or all of the games over the remainder of the season, I agree it would be almost impossible to fire the HC. In that case any discussions that might be underway with others would simply fade away, diminishing with each new team win.

Failing a satisfactory record and conclusion to the remaining portion of the schedule, another way I can see Bo returning for next season is if no viable HC candidate is found who wants to take over the reins; and be ready to step in and take over the program immediately after the Bowl Season. In either event, if Bo returns you begin discussing necessary staff changes, ‘forced’ or otherwise.

Do you think you're my Mother?

Here, this is is "required reading" for anyone participating in this thread too:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...miami-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2jEbdLr51

So someone else says Nebraska can do better than Pelini. What have we learned from all our "required reading", Mort?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back