• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where *** was wrong

the offense as a whole sucks. i don't think you can show that he "wants to run a lot". if he wanted to, the running backs would have a lot more attempts at it.
now, i personally think what he wants to do is "get the ball in a playmakers hands", whatever that means (he's said that multiple times). that's a bit different from something as "simple" as "running the ball". it just so happens that right now, he thinks his playmakers are austin allen, wandale, and luke. nothing necessarily wrong with that either.

As a percentage, runners are getting the ball in their hands much more than receivers. So yeah, he wants and actually does run the ball a lot more. It's just not working.

His one proven back is hurt. He is working with freshmen backs and a terrible line. It can't be that hard to understand that you are limited with those kids. He's even spoke about R. Johnson not trusting himself and the fact that the younger guys struggle in other aspects of the game (i.e., pass blocking assignments, running with conviction, hitting the right holes, etc).

So no, he wouldn't necessarily have a back with 100 yards on the season. Is that a bad stat to possess? Hell yes. But the problem isn't about wanting to run or pass, because if you know Scott, running is as big a part of the game as passing, it's about trying to make chicken soup out of the massive, heaping pile of chick shite sitting in front of him. I'm critical of the guy in a lot of ways, but this new accusation about Scott is a joke .

If you don't think he likes to run, why did he run it 60% of the time at UCF in 2018 and 53% of the time in 2017?
one proven back? after 3 years? maybe spend a few more schoolies on the position. or perhaps put a kid in there to run the football and not pass block. take a few of those 25 schollies that are handed out every year to future transfers from the WR allotment..

60% and 53% means your willing to run the football not want to run the football. its been 3 years and I've seen little sign that scott will do what it takes to be a good running football team, unless of course QB draw on 3rd and long is your idea of 'wanting' to run the football. that is frosts offense in a nut shell, run when you can't pass. we can't keep WR in the fold so running the QB and putting a wr in the backfield and handing him the ball or tossing it to him is about as much of a commitment to run as another wr screen for -3 yards.

committing to the running game does not start on 3rd and long when everyone knows QB draw is coming, or the redone when double reverse or wide receiver screen is coming..... at that point you've already decided you don't much care about running the football. it starts in recruiting the right players, practices that yes, may be a "bloodbath", and figuring out how to move the ball on the ground when the numbers aren't in your favor.

ya, you might say scott wants to run the football, and mark mangino wants to loose a few pounds.... but what's ya gonna do about it? put down the cheeseburger (WR screen)

take all the QB runs on busted pass plays, all the (we can't complete a pass to our WR so lets hand it to him), all of the white flag waving QB draws on 3rd and long and your left with about 12 runs on the year ...that is not a commitment nor the desire to run.

I would say the issue is we have no deep threat, which allows the opposing D to stack the box.

HOWEVER, we didn’t have a deep threat last year either and our run game was far stronger than it was this year.

Hopefully the coaches figure it out... I don’t have a clue.

one proven back? after 3 years? maybe spend a few more schoolies on the position. or perhaps put a kid in there to run the football and not pass block. take a few of those 25 schollies that are handed out every year to future transfers from the WR allotment..

60% and 53% means your willing to run the football not want to run the football. its been 3 years and I've seen little sign that scott will do what it takes to be a good running football team, unless of course QB draw on 3rd and long is your idea of 'wanting' to run the football. that is frosts offense in a nut shell, run when you can't pass. we can't keep WR in the fold so running the QB and putting a wr in the backfield and handing him the ball or tossing it to him is about as much of a commitment to run as another wr screen for -3 yards.

committing to the running game does not start on 3rd and long when everyone knows QB draw is coming, or the redone when double reverse or wide receiver screen is coming..... at that point you've already decided you don't much care about running the football. it starts in recruiting the right players, practices that yes, may be a "bloodbath", and figuring out how to move the ball on the ground when the numbers aren't in your favor.

ya, you might say scott wants to run the football, and mark mangino wants to loose a few pounds.... but what's ya gonna do about it? put down the cheeseburger (WR screen)

take all the QB runs on busted pass plays, all the (we can't complete a pass to our WR so lets hand it to him), all of the white flag waving QB draws on 3rd and long and your left with about 12 runs on the year ...that is not a commitment nor the desire to run.
Thank you for the hilarity, delusion, and hysteria. Can you please coach my son's youth team? I'm sure you could find that secret sauce.

I would say the issue is we have no deep threat, which allows the opposing D to stack the box.

HOWEVER, we didn’t have a deep threat last year either and our run game was far stronger than it was this year.

Hopefully the coaches figure it out... I don’t have a clue.
We didn't run out four white dudes with no athletic ability either last year. Can't compare as we lost a million dudes again. That is a different argument all together.

By looking here, last year we finished third in the Big, not exactly known as a passing league with no defense, like the big twelve has become

Yep, we finished behind osu and wiscy, ahead of iowa, meatchicken etc etc.

Last edited:

Now stop. And think about that great point.

Do you want me to stop? Or do you want me to think? Make up your mind. My great point is that he had a great speedy running back. I'm sure MM also contributes to those yards. My perspective is he does not trust his RBs today as much. My perspective also is that he has not made a good faith effort to find out if they can get yards. I say get under center, maybe put in a FB, run block and lets see what happens. I prefer evidence it won't work vs play calling that infers it will not. All I got.

Serious question, do we have any fullbacks? Do we have walk-ons to simulate the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the world?
No. The one FB we had when Scott arrived (Les's kid) immediately transferred as he was told Scott's offense does not use a FB.

Im sure you could convert someone to play the role...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back