• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weatherman's Fightin' Phillies Thread

Phillies move to 10-4 with the win over the Marlins today. Florida is 2 games back. The Braves fell to 7-9. Philadelphia starts a series with the Brew Crew tomorrow in Philly.

the phillies and rockies are tied for the best record in MLB now... both at 14-6. the phillies beat the padres again tonight -- 10 consecutive wins in san diego's petco park. nice! :Biggrin:

Phillies now stand alone with the best record in baseball! 15-6.

I do, however, think they have benefited by a relatively easy April schedule. The hitting did cool off quite a bit (wish Utley would come back). But their bullpen is every bit as good as their starting rotation so far.

this just in: ryan franklin is a disaster! (sorry, merle.)
Your personal grandizement thread is amusing HWM. I await with anticipation bad days for your team, and they will come, make no mistake! As to RF, I have never been a big fan of his, I think he was lucky last year, not that it did his team any good! I am cautiously optimistic re McClellan and Westbrook, maybe the loss of Wainright won't be as fatal as thought. Sorry to break into your Phillie adulation thread, but it seems like it needs something.

Your personal grandizement thread is amusing HWM. I await with anticipation bad days for your team, and they will come, make no mistake! As to RF, I have never been a big fan of his, I think he was lucky last year, not that it did his team any good! I am cautiously optimistic re McClellan and Westbrook, maybe the loss of Wainright won't be as fatal as thought. Sorry to break into your Phillie adulation thread, but it seems like it needs something.

all baseball talk is welcome in "my" thread, Merle! :Biggrin:

you're probably right... Philadelphia is not going to be able to keep up their great run of the past 4-5 season forever... and it may very well be that this season is a last hurrah. in order for the phillies to obtain their top 3 starting pitchers, they traded away a lot of young talent. kyle drabeck (with toronto now) is one of them...part of the halladay deal. drabeck is already very impressive. and philly's bats are not getting younger... the time is ticking on the infield, especially... and utley may never be what he once was even when he does return.

Time marches on, inexorably! Drabeck did an excellent job last night in beating the Rangers.

19 innings last night... longest of the season... but the phillies pulled it out and won 5-4!

i actually stayed up until the end... 1:40AM, i believe... or somewhere along those lines. and now, the phillies play a day game today with the reds... talk about a quick turnaround... they were calling it a "night-day" doubleheader. much easier for the phillies to find the adrenaline to play today than the poor reds.

did anyone see the highlights how it ended? insane 19th inning.... the phillies ran out of bullpen pitchers... so they put their utility middle infielder (wilson valdez) in to pitch! and he wasn't facing the bottom of the lineup... instead, votto, bruce, and rolen... heart of the order. and guess what? three straight outs! the fans were going crazy! first positional player to record a win as a pitcher since 2000... very cool! oh... and they even moved their catcher (carlos ruiz) to 3rd base (something he also hadn't done before). loved it!

you play that long and win -- and it becomes much bigger than just another game. you play that long and lose, and it's extremely painful.

Last edited:
Your team has been playing some good baseball HWM. I can't say the same about the White Sox as they have been near the bottom of the AL Central most of the season so far.

Your team has been playing some good baseball HWM. I can't say the same about the White Sox as they have been near the bottom of the AL Central most of the season so far.

i can always count on the pitching, mj... but the run support has definitely been lacking for much of the season, sadly. 3-straight losses now, i believe... probably the most all season. utley needs to find his groove -- hasn't yet since he joined the team a week or so ago.

Cliff Lee was absolutely masterful against the Red Sox tonight... a 2-hit shutout! That extends Lee's streak to 32 consecutive scoreless innings pitched... and three consecutive complete game shutouts!

I've seen the Quad Cities Riverbandits play a couple of times this year. The Cardinals have some studs in the system. Carlos Martinez occasionally hits 100 MPH on the gun. Shelby Miller is now tearing it up in AA. Matt Adams keeps moving up in the system and keeps hitting above .300. There is reason for optomism in the Cardinals.

The Phillies just traded for Hunter Pence... tremendous move!

Big day here in Philadelphia... the Eagles also signed the top free agent... Nnamdi Asomugha!

:)

The Phillies just traded for Hunter Pence... tremendous move!

Big day here in Philadelphia... the Eagles also signed the top free agent... Nnamdi Asomugha!

:)

I am glad for Hunter to get out of Houston as he is a very good player....go from the worst to the best is a great day for him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back