• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weatherman's Fightin' Phillies Thread

I am glad for Hunter to get out of Houston as he is a very good player....go from the worst to the best is a great day for him.

no doubt about it. sad for houston fans who have entered a continual cycle of rebuilding (wonder how much longer ed wade will last there?). nice part about pence is that he's still a young guy and the phillies will have him for at least a couple more years that remain on his contract. beltran (who the giants got), on the other hand, could go down to injury and retire at just about any point.

pence's numbers should increase significantly with more talent around him now (and in a more hitter-friendly ballpark).

Last edited:

I seriously thought the Phillies would have some trouble, and maybe bad luck, this year. Quite the opposite, the pitching is pretty much living up to prognostications, and one guy after another comes through offensively. If the game is close aftere the 7th, seems like the Phillies are 9-1 favorites to win that game.

I seriously thought the Phillies would have some trouble, and maybe bad luck, this year. Quite the opposite, the pitching is pretty much living up to prognostications, and one guy after another comes through offensively. If the game is close aftere the 7th, seems like the Phillies are 9-1 favorites to win that game.

their bats have really improved as of late... big key is utley playing like the utley of old (after being on the DL for most of the first half of the season). pence has been a solid addition. howard is hot now -- as he tends to be in the late-season. ibanez has carried the team on many occasions. and not to be overlooked is their fantastic bullpen, which is why they'll either comeback late or hold onto a lead late in the game. i'll admit also -- they are better than i thought they'd be!

i enjoy watching the phillies on the road almost as much as at home... the fans travel extremely well. if you saw any of the highlights from colorado, they packed a few thousand fans in there -- and especially behind the visitors dugout. truly amazing!

Last edited:
9 straight wins... 3 straight over the giants. san fran had better get their act together -- or they might miss out on the playoffs entirely.

The Phillies are red-hot HWM, I thought the Giants would slow them down but it didn't happen.

phillies lead 1-0 after 3 in san fran today... looking for a 4-game sweep (i'm already pleased if they simply win 3 out of 4 -- but a sweep would be sweet!). the giants have scored a grand total of 3 runs in 30 innings so far in this series against philly -- yes, less than 1 run per 9-inning game. and heck, that's even with the giants being able to avoid halladay this series. pretty freakin' amazing!

Last edited:

phillies lead 1-0 after 3 in san fran today... looking for a 4-game sweep (i'm already pleased if they simply win 3 out of 4 -- but a sweep would be sweet!). the giants have scored a grand total of 3 runs in 30 innings so far in this series against philly -- yes, less than 1 run per 9-inning game. and heck, that's even with the giants being able to avoid halladay this series. pretty freakin' amazing!

uh oh... i think i woke up the giants' bats. :Biggrin:

streak ended... oh well, it had to eventually. :)

let's go beat up on the dodgers tomorrow with roy halladay on the mound!

The Phils have all the tools they need to win it all. It will be fun to watch. I'm impressed with how they put together such a great team.

The Phils have all the tools they need to win it all. It will be fun to watch. I'm impressed with how they put together such a great team.

:) pretty darn amazing!

just won their 12th game in 13 tries (including 9 of 10 on the road). now 37 games over .500. typically, it's the pitching that gets them the wins -- today, it was the bats. down 5-0 after 1 to the dodgers -- then 6-0 after 3... the phillies came back to win 9-8 and sweep LA.

Last edited:
wanna know how to win ball games? have pitchers that throw strikes and avoid walks.

halladay, lee, and hamels are #1, #3, and #5 in the majors in strikeout to walk ratio. the three combined: 490 Ks to 87 BBs.

wanna know how to win ball games? have pitchers that throw strikes and avoid walks.

halladay, lee, and hamels are #1, #3, and #5 in the majors in strikeout to walk ratio. the three combined: 490 Ks to 87 BBs.

Now that's a very impressive stat - k's to bb's. Having 3 of the top 5 in that category on the same team bodes very well for the Phillies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back