• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weatherman's Fightin' Phillies Thread

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
Hi HW! :wave:

So, let's see...

My Phillies got off to a good start this season... swept the 'stros. Sure, not a very good Houston team.... but I'll take it. Only 4 teams are 3-0.

The starting pitching was solid -- as expected. Halladay, Lee, and Oswalt all pitched well. What was most encouraging was the hitting. Philly played a lot of small ball, which they will need to do this season. With Utley injured, and Werth now with Washington, the big bats are much fewer than they used to be (when homeruns oftentimes carried the team in the past). Ryan Howard has been on fire so far! Ben Francisco is proving to be a worthy replacement for Jayson Werth.

Next up: the hated Mets.

Hmmmmmm. We shall see! You do realize that many of us root for the Phillies' demise!

Ya think?

23 Strike outs, and one walk. The walk? Intentional.

Lookin sharp!

that is pretty darn amazing. that's definitely how to win ball games... no free passes for the opposition.

amazingly, the crowd today in philadelphia was their 2nd largest regular season attendance in team history (or maybe it was for citizen bank ballpark, which has still been around for 8-9 years now)... that's incredible for the fact that the weather wasn't perfect (in the 50s... breezy... mix of clouds and sun) and the opponent was houston. but it goes to show how frenzied this fan base is. last season they lead the majors with 103% capacity... and it appears they are trying to eclipse that this season. it's a tough ticket because it's truly a great stadium with an extremely passionate group of fans who absolutely love this team.

that is pretty darn amazing. that's definitely how to win ball games... no free passes for the opposition.

amazingly, the crowd today in philadelphia was their 2nd largest regular season attendance in team history (or maybe it was for citizen bank ballpark, which has still been around for 8-9 years now)... that's incredible for the fact that the weather wasn't perfect (in the 50s... breezy... mix of clouds and sun) and the opponent was houston. but it goes to show how frenzied this fan base is. last season they lead the majors with 103% capacity... and it appears they are trying to eclipse that this season. it's a tough ticket because it's truly a great stadium with an extremely passionate group of fans who absolutely love this team.

But who are also aready to boo them, ostracize them, and even castrate them if they don't perform to pleasing levels!

UMmmm, to some extent, but not quite as severe!

there is some difference... most nebraska fans -- if they get disgruntled (in sports other than football), will just stop attending (basketball, baseball). philly fans will continue to attend with the very purpose of letting the team know they are quite unhappy -- and i respect the heck out of that! i've never known a player, coach, GM, owner to be violently attacked by a displeased philly sports fan -- but they definitely will let their feelings known. it's called 100% passion. most husker fans (again, outside of football) will just fade away and not really care if the basketball or baseball team fairs poorly.

cliff lee, for example, wanted to return to philly even though the offers were a bit bigger in both texas and with the yankees -- because he said he loved playing in this city more than any other. it's truly the greatest major sports city in the country. they will love you or they will hate you -- but they will always care -- that's being a sports fan to me.

i am sure i used to always have negative opinions about philadelphia sports fans -- until i've spent a good chunk of my life living here. if you let the media drive you to opinions instead of actually living it, you will never be able to understand.

Last edited:

not a Philly fan, but the ballpark is the best I have ever been to

and i seem to remember you attended on a bad weather day... so probably didn't get the best of days to judge it. but it really is perfect for watching baseball... not a bad seat...and tremendous food.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back