• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Ecuador Pre and Game Thread

Pet peeve its not 'the' MLS....its MLS...just like its not 'the' MLB but it is 'the' NFL and 'the' NBA....

Per FIFA rules if the national team calls up players from any team or any league they cannot refuse to release them (unless they can show a documented medical reason) or they fact sanctions and a heavy fine....if Klinsman chooses to work with MLS, as it appears he has here, than that it is a conscious decision on his part....because bottom line he does not have to....

As for Klinsman he is fair game....just like Pelini is....and if some don't like oh well....

Pet peeve of mine...it's Klinsmann, not Klinsman.

KlinsmanN would be a complete fool to not want a healthy relationship with MLS :))). He absolutely should not call up any players involved in a playoff race for a friendly against Ecuador. Of course, that is unless the MLS team is completely for it. It does not matter if it's Landon's tribute game.

Last edited:

Ah.....;)

Could not agree more.....and past coaches have done the same thing.....and not just with MLS.....it only makes sense.....point is this is a decision mutually agreed upon....

And I don't disagree with MLS playing through sanctioned international game dates....I have long been a critic of that.....on this very forum.....

See that was easy....we agree on MLS....;)

Pet peeve of mine...it's Kinsmann, not Klinsman.

KilinsmanN would be a complete fool to not want a healthy relationship with MLS :))). He absolutely should not call up any players involved in a playoff race for a friendly against Ecuador. Of course, that is unless the MLS team is completely for it. It does not matter if it's Landon's tribute game.

Last edited:
It will me interesting to see Wondo in there. His mistake in the WC was extremely costly! For his sake, I hope he can make a play and get ready to ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
I sure hope not....already messy enough.....

Simon Evans‏<s>@</s>sgevans I don't expect Donovan to rip Klinsmann at his farewell game. Surely he saves that for his book?

I sure hope not....already messy enough.....

Simon Evans‏<s>@</s>sgevans I don't expect Donovan to rip Klinsmann at his farewell game. Surely he saves that for his book?

Would not be surprised in the least if he does though. While I appreciate everything LD has done on the pitch and for the recognition he helped bring US/MLS Soccer, he is all about himself and proven that time and again. Honestly I'm of the opinion that we should celebrate his accomplishments, but then I hope his input is limited, especially re: USMNT. Some people think Twellman or Lalas are unbearable, I can't imagine how bad LD would be in those roles. His 'special insight' during the WC on ESPN was an absolute joke. There are times when I can jump on Klinsmann just like the next guy, but a lot of times I wonder if part of his beef here is no one player will be bigger than the coach/team.

Hopefully LD does something LDish in his last match, rides off into the sunset on a high note, then he goes and finds something that makes him happy.

Neither LD or Klinsman has come out of this looking good, but I do agree one is a player and the other coach in well defined roles and neither are bigger than the national team....

I met LD a couple of times....and he is all about himself....and I've talked about that before on here....but with that being said, he is one of the most brutally honest guys that has ever worn a USMNT shirt....sometimes that is good and sometimes not so good....

Most ex-players usually do not do well as an analysis or color person.....FWIW I like Lalas a lot.....he tells it like it is....both pro and con....like it or not....

I surely hope he take the class road and ends his brilliant career the way it should be...

Would not be surprised in the least if he does though. While I appreciate everything LD has done on the pitch and for the recognition he helped bring US/MLS Soccer, he is all about himself and proven that time and again. Honestly I'm of the opinion that we should celebrate his accomplishments, but then I hope his input is limited, especially re: USMNT. Some people think Twellman or Lalas are unbearable, I can't imagine how bad LD would be in those roles. His 'special insight' during the WC on ESPN was an absolute joke. There are times when I can jump on Klinsmann just like the next guy, but a lot of times I wonder if part of his beef here is no one player will be bigger than the coach/team.

Hopefully LD does something LDish in his last match, rides off into the sunset on a high note, then he goes and finds something that makes him happy.

Last edited:

Brian Sciaretta @BrianSciaretta · Landon playing with a chip on his shoulder is fun to watch. It's going to be a fun 30 minutes on Friday <s>#</s>USMNT

Just shut up....between him and Donovan what a mess....

Ives Galarcep @SoccerByIves · Klinsmann was asked if he had any second thoughts about leaving Donovan off World Cup roster. His answer began with a clear “No” <s>#</s>USMNT

Grant Wahl @GrantWahl · Klinsmann: Guzan will play 90 vs ECU, Rimando 90 vs HON.

Brian Straus @BrianStraus · Klinsmann: "I’m looking at Landon always that I wish in a certain way, he could have done a bit more here and a bit more there."

Not sure what we proved in Brazil?....other than Donovan would have scored the goal that Wondo missed....I have absolutely no doubt....but that's water under the bridge....time to move on.....

Brian Straus‏<s>@</s>BrianStraus JK: "In that moment in May the picture for us was very clear. We were 100% behind the decision we made...we proved that point in Brazil."

I've seen Donovan shank similar shots at the goal. It happens. Wondo's strength has always been putting the ball into the net, just like the moment that was presented to him in the WC. It's what he does. His limitations are elsewhere on the field.

He just completely screwed the pooch.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back