• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Ecuador Pre and Game Thread

BziV57KCYAA_LG3.jpg:large

Neither LD or Klinsman has come out of this looking good, but I do agree one is a player and the other coach in well defined roles and neither are bigger than the national team....

I met LD a couple of times....and he is all about himself....and I've talked about that before on here....but with that being said, he is one of the most brutally honest guys that has ever worn a USMNT shirt....sometimes that is good and sometimes not so good....

Most ex-players usually do not do well as an analysis or color person.....FWIW I like Lalas a lot.....he tells it like it is....both pro and con....like it or not....

I surely hope he take the class road and ends his brilliant career the way it should be...

And that is what people will remember about him because of his attitude. One of, maybe currently the, greatest US men's player of all time... but what will we remember about him? Me-first attitude. Quit soccer because he wasn't sure if his heart was in it. And didn't get to the 4th WC because of those first two reasons along with not getting along with the coach.

And fwiw, I like Lalas and Twellman. Both could back off their 'in my day' rants, as that makes it too much about them sometimes, but overall I appreciate what they both bring to ESPN.

Well said.....for the most part.....

And that is what people will remember about him because of his attitude. One of, maybe currently the, greatest US men's player of all time... but what will we remember about him? Me-first attitude. Quit soccer because he wasn't sure if his heart was in it. And didn't get to the 4th WC because of those first two reasons along with not getting along with the coach.

And fwiw, I like Lalas and Twellman. Both could back off their 'in my day' rants, as that makes it too much about them sometimes, but overall I appreciate what they both bring to ESPN.

I guess its all in how you see it.......I would have taken Donovan any day over Wondo or Davis and I have been consistent in that from when the 23 man roster was announced....and I think Landon could have made a big difference after Jozy went down....and most folk in retrospect agree with that and many already did when it was announced.....the only striker who performed well (and he is not a true striker) was Dempsey.....but its water under the bridge.....time to move on....can't change it now....it was a mistake....like it or not.....however, him admitting it or not admitting it doesn't matter much now....

The problem with Donovan and Klinsmann is we have two monumental egos and neither is willing to give an inch....and that pretty much sums it up.....neither should be bigger than the national team as a whole....although at times I think they both have crossed that line....

Anyway today should be about celebrating the career of our greatest player to this point....should be fun....:)

Some interesting reading. Of course he says he made the right decision.......

Jürgen Klinsmann on his decision

Last edited:
Like I said earlier one of the most brutally honest athletes we have ever had regardless of how you feel about him....

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl · Few top athletes are willing to be at a podium & talk about their depression & career regrets with the honesty Landon Donovan is right now.

Last edited:
Jeff Carlisle @JeffreyCarlisle · Donovan giving Gulati all the credit for making tonight's game happen, and making sure LD's family could be there. <s>#</s>LegenD

No one is above the USMNT...regardless of how he feels he should have been there....disrespectful in my opinion....

Andrew Das@AndrewDasNYT · Garber here in Bristol for Donovan press conference with Gulatii. Klinsmann, obviously, is not.

Last edited:
Gulati and Donovan are very close....have been so for 16 years since both hit the scene in US Soccer....agree wise decision....

Kyle McCarthy @kylejmccarthy · Gulati rather wisely passes on the chance to share his reaction after Donovan's omission from World Cup roster. <s>#</s>USMNT

No one is above the USMNT...regardless of how he feels he should have been there....disrespectful in my opinion....

Andrew Das@AndrewDasNYT · Garber here in Bristol for Donovan press conference with Gulatii. Klinsmann, obviously, is not.

Again, JK seems to not want to answer questions about LD.......and yes, this was disrespectful. However, this is in line with how JK has dealt with stars getting long in the tooth......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back