• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

Money. He is gonna make tons more. That alone means things. He can retire earlier. Give his kids more. Nebraska gave me what I needed to succeed and I moved on too. It ain't no thing. No different than the brain drain. But it's on the state to make it more attractive. And that gets political.
no question there is a money element to this. But integrity has to matter at some point. I think its something he will regret when he's had a chance to understand the ramifications of what he just did.

Yesterday I was leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt. After reflecting on it for a day, I say the University should shun him, un-retire his number, remove his name from the stadium, and paint his jersey black to symbolize turning our backs to him just like he did to the University. I'm sure the governor talked to him, and today the Governor blamed the Regents, and I'm convinced that is where the blame belongs, but instead of tuck-tail and running, Trev should have pulled up his big boy pants, and used his substantial leverage to work to fix what was wrong.
Don't drink and post.

Not to be cliche, but people don't quit good jobs, they quit bad bosses. A lack of definitive structure above someone will give them pause constantly. We don't know what all went on, but we can definitely see the outward actions/comments of the BoR.

I don't blame him. I don't like it, but I am fairly sure that in the end I will understand his actions. How many time do you ask for help? How many times do you run into a brick wall? These are speculation on my part, but I don't see him as a cut and run at first issue kind of guy.

This has been the problem at NU for over 20 years. The administration and leadership is the main problem. That house needs cleaned out.

Who do they report to? Anyone?

The Regents are the leadership; they hire and fire the upper administrators. The Regents report to the people of Nebraska through elections. So we're the ones ultimately to blame (well, those who live in Nebraska anyway).

Last edited:
Yesterday I was leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt. After reflecting on it for a day, I say the University should shun him, un-retire his number, remove his name from the stadium, and paint his jersey black to symbolize turning our backs to him just like he did to the University. I'm sure the governor talked to him, and today the Governor blamed the Regents, and I'm convinced that is where the blame belongs, but instead of tuck-tail and running, Trev should have pulled up his big boy pants, and used his substantial leverage to work to fix what was wrong.

I have to agree.

I was at the game Trev dislocated his elbow, playing Oklahoma in Lincoln on a miserable cold day. Really cold at the top of the south end zone.....lol. I remember how they told him he couldn't wear a hard cast for the game against FSU in the Orange Bowl and what he said , "well take the damn thing off then".

I was in awe of how tough he was. I am much older than he is, but still held him to this day in that superman status...lol.

Then comes the Orange Bowl where he becomes a one man wrecking crew and dismantles the super star Charlie Ward. I was proud to use Trev Alberts name synonymous with the ideals of The University of Nebraska football. No one was tougher, as relentless or better defined the blue collar Nebraska way.

Then Wednesday arrived.

If his turning tail and running was because of a battle with the regents, I will have to dramatically readjust my thinking of his toughness. Again I want to say ( if ? ) that was the case he has become NOT that guy I saw that day in Lincoln the end of 1992.

Sad day.

Just want to first of all thank Trev Alberts for the time he spent here, I enjoyed watching his vison unfold at the University of Nebraska, I will miss what could have been, and remember fondly of what once was.

So Trev, in the short time since you finally came home, you fixed most of the windows and doors, hired some excellent craftsman for the detail work around the house, created a plan to enhance the property, seemingly all without hardly any neighborly help, and mostly unfortunate, without the head of the household that initiated your prodigal journey in the first place. And then you felt the need to walk away, unexpectedly and So I ask myself, are things better now then when you arrived?...check...did the future actually look realistically brighter?....ditto...I know how Alberts bleeds, never questioned that then or now. To me, (and all of this is this one average joe's opinion), is that he made a choice. For him obviously the right one for his reasons. For us, not ours to make or question why he decided he had to leave.

He never struck me as being disingenuous at anytime he was at Nebraska. He always struck me as honest and straightforward, what you saw, well... was what you got. He seemed determined and driven to not only see where the failures were in the athletic department, the University and the state in regard to the athletic program, but to make hard decisions on what it would take to repair them, and push relentlessly to make it happen. I think as in most cases pushing can lead to more pushing and the last thing pushed is the door that leads out of out of town, regardless of who makes the last push.
So I say God Bless TA, God Bless his amazing family, and may God help Texas A$M if they are ever misfortunate enough to be on the same field as Nebraska. GO BIG RED ! !

Pillen is correct in his assessment. UNL BOR should have a short list of candidates in their possession at all times so we don’t have over 200 days without a President! This reflects poorly on the State and University!!!

Money. He is gonna make tons more. That alone means things. He can retire earlier. Give his kids more. Nebraska gave me what I needed to succeed and I moved on too. It ain't no thing. No different than the brain drain. But it's on the state to make it more attractive. And that gets political.
Dude, this guy is already loaded. NFL contract, ESPN job, AD, twice, how much money does one person need. Also, in this particular case, Trev let down an entire state for his own selfish self, after telling all of us he had his dream job. He deserves all the backlash he’s getting.

The Regents need to start talking. If you are a Regent, and have tried to improve the situation, you need to come out and say; Things are messed up, and these are the Regents causing the problems. Short of that, recall and replace every last one of them.
It’s needed done for decades…..

I totally agree. He may have had legitimate concerns about the university administration, but by quitting he let down the state and betrayed the fanbase. He chose himself over us. I see no reason to give him any sympathy whatsoever. I hope he realizes that he was once a Husker legend (on and off the field) and has completely destroyed that legacy. Good riddance.

Not to be cliche, but people don't quit good jobs, they quit bad bosses. A lack of definitive structure above someone will give them pause constantly. We don't know what all went on, but we can definitely see the outward actions/comments of the BoR.

I don't blame him. I don't like it, but I am fairly sure that in the end I will understand his actions. How many time do you ask for help? How many times do you run into a brick wall? These are speculation on my part, but I don't see him as a cut and run at first issue kind of guy.
I think two things can be true here. One, lack of leadership from the BoR. Bad bosses = exodus nearly every single time. Two, he's a climber (someone said it earlier, not sure who). He was always going to be looking for the next best thing.

If he had a great relationship with the Admiral, I'm not sure the bad boss angle is as effective here because it hasn't been "that" long. I'm guessing he knows who they are targeting and doesn't get along with them either.

When you go from one job to another, you are either running from current job or running to the future job, or maybe it’s both. The decision is easy only if it’s both. Half the posts here say it’s the money — Trev running to the job. Half the posts say it’s toxic here at the leadership level, that Trev was running from this job. If it’s both, his decision was easy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back