• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

Which begs the question. Did he run or was he pushed out
If the Regents pushed him out, shame on them. I think Trev was done with the BS and lack of leadership, and he’s probably going to make more money.

Trev will be gone is less than three years IMO.

You said "100% academics", which is an inaccurate description. Most have served on boards, but the majority have careers outside of teaching and academic research. [NU_Alum: The distinction is important. These aren't a bunch of "ivory tower" dwellers. Most of the regents are people that have been successful in the private sector and then volunteered to serve on various non-profit and government advisory boards. Unlike in some states, the residents of Nebraska actually get a vote for their regents.]

If the glove does not fit?

Seriously. They haven't operated like a group that cares about anything but academics. If the residents of Nebraska put this group together, than @weaver75 is correct and shame on them.

Now that Trev has spoken to the OWH, and the BOR is covering their behind, it is becoming clearer what has happened. See the OWH articles this evening. The failure of the board to name a President, particularly one who will be supportive of the athletic department and the AD, is to blame. I believe the board has been deadlocked over two individuals. One has not been supportive of the athletic department at UNL, to say the least. The name will come out.

Think he is gone after this coming year. Nothing other than jus a feeling
HCMR is under a 72 million dollar contract. Unless he goes 10-2 suitors will not be knocking down doors to buy him out. When the TAM AD left for tOSU recruits were not running to the exits. Emotions are raw and everyone is flumoxed. Things will settle. If we start winning no will care about TAs departure. He made an emotional decision which shows alot of immaturity for a 53 year old man who was all in 6 months ago. We will be fine.

Likely won't last more than 3 years at A&M either.
The saving grace for him at A&M is that he didn't hire this football coach. If football ends up stinking (which is often one of the biggest driving factors in hiring/firing ADs, given the amount of money it generates), he has the out of saying "that wasn't my guy". He'll get the opportunity to hire someone and see out that hire before his job would be under threat.

Only way I see him lasting 3 years or less at A&M is if he decides to take another job- which is a definite possibility.

HCMR is under a 72 million dollar contract. Unless he goes 10-2 suitors will not be knocking down doors to buy him out. When the TAM AD left for tOSU recruits were not running to the exits. Emotions are raw and everyone is flumoxed. Things will settle. If we start winning no will care about TAs departure. He made an emotional decision which shows alot of immaturity for a 53 year old man who was all in 6 months ago. We will be fine.

I agree with your take on all of this.
I'd just like to add that in defense of TA's decision, I would personally prefer to work for competent leadership.
I've worked under poor leadership, and my emotions and common sense had me running for the exits, despite my pay and loyalty.
There are obvious needs for change with Nebraska's BoR.
Too many good people have left for this not to be true.

In reality, you don't know why he made the decision he did, so it is very premature to say it was emotionally immature.

The saving grace for him at A&M is that he didn't hire this football coach. If football ends up stinking (which is often one of the biggest driving factors in hiring/firing ADs, given the amount of money it generates), he has the out of saying "that wasn't my guy". He'll get the opportunity to hire someone and see out that hire before his job would be under threat.

Only way I see him lasting 3 years or less at A&M is if he decides to take another job- which is a definite possibility.
They got a good coach. IMPO better than HCMR. It will take him more time but remember Trev wanted to fire Hoiberg. Trev's history is a disaster.

I have a feeling that when the dust settles this will end up being tons of partial truths (at least) of many of the reasons people have thrown out there rather than one big reason he left. None of the reasons have to be mutually exclusive.

The BOR is an elected body. This is just a guess, but from this distance it appears they have been captured (and elected) by those who don't believe in the programs that TA, MR and others do. Why that is so seems to me to be that the people who elected them feel differently about athletic matters than most of us on this board. But they got elected. They probably are not unhappy about any of this.

It's hard to blame the BOR since the people chose them, and it's hard to blame TA because it would be impossible to work as an AD under them.

Sad.

I have a feeling that when the dust settles this will end up being tons of partial truths (at least) of many of the reasons people have thrown out there rather than one big reason he left. None of the reasons have to be mutually exclusive.
It looks like the interim president is all about "bringing in high ACT scores" and not "5 star athletes". He wants to funnel the money to academics, not sports. Big reason to get a real president in now.

One of the main responsibilities of the Nebraska BoR is to hire a President of the University.
Because of their personalities, pride and politics, they have failed.
This has impacted the entire University of Nebraska, it's fanbase and eroded any confidence that TA had for them moving forward.
I personally believe TA's move was best for him as he pointed out "leadership" as a major factor.
Therefore, this became a " not my monkeys, not my circus" show and Trev left.
We can feel betrayed but I hold the BoR responsibility for this stalemate.

In reality, you don't know why he made the decision he did, so it is very premature to say it was emotionally immature.
I hear ya but how are you all NU in November and gone in March. I read the OWH article and he was vacillating up to the day he decided to leave. Timing weird as coches were not around. This is not the Nebraskan way. We are loyal to a fault.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back