• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tired of some of the staff and media bashing the husker fan base as negatively unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

What about dogfights against a 5-6 Central Florida team in year 25? Trailing at halftime, up one score in the 4th quarter...

What about going into overtime against a 7-5 Missouri team in year 25?

How about a dogfight against 6-4-1 Baylor year 18 in which we led only 6-0 with 22 seconds left in the 4th quarter?

Or a dogfight against 4-7 Iowa State in year 20? Actually lost that one, almost by double digits.

We wouldn't be having these discussions if people would recognize that winning football games is not a birthright.

Thanks for bringing up those, I think.. A friend , an OU fan, told me that he got on plane years ago and TO was siting next to him. They started talking NU-OU games and he noticed that TO was bringing up NU losses and he was bringing up OU losses. It is human nature, I guess, if you win all but one, you'll only remember the loss

In response to the OP. This is not an NFL franchise. These are not pros.

Negativity toward any coach or player is negativity toward the program.

Period!

We have a very loud section of the fan base that blasts negativity all the tiandme.
And you dont think alabama, texas, okla, n dame, usc, ohio st wouldnt have that same sectiin if they faced what weve had laat yr or two? My point was we r not any rougher than the rest like bo wants people to thin. he wants to portray that the crirics he faces isnt due to him, its due to a uniquely, unruly fan base. Thats bs all big time schools have it. Its cuz he acts like a 2 yr old with temper tantrums and cuz were not where we should be.
The nfl is not the same but it is relevant to the point. U wanna coach big time college or nfl, toughen up

And you dont think alabama, texas, okla, n dame, usc, ohio st wouldnt have that same sectiin if they faced what weve had laat yr or two? My point was we r not any rougher than the rest like bo wants people to thin. he wants to portray that the crirics he faces isnt due to him, its due to a uniquely, unruly fan base. Thats bs all big time schools have it. Its cuz he acts like a 2 yr old with temper tantrums and cuz were not where we should be.
The nfl is not the same but it is relevant to the point. U wanna coach big time college or nfl, toughen up

If we expect our program to be unique (winning at the highest levels every season), and if we expect our coach to be unique (saintly sideline demeanor), then we should expect the fanbase to be unique (no pitchforks). As fans, we can't have it both ways. We can't say, "It's Nebraska, we expect better from our team/coaches," and then turn around and use bad fan behavior from other teams to justify our own behavior.

If we expect our program to be unique (winning at the highest levels every season), and if we expect our coach to be unique (saintly sideline demeanor), then we should expect the fanbase to be unique (no pitchforks). As fans, we can't have it both ways. We can't say, "It's Nebraska, we expect better from our team/coaches," and then turn around and use bad fan behavior from other teams to justify our own behavior.
Our coach is the only one displaying buffoonery, we can say or act anyway we want because we don't make millions and are fans. If I was being paid millions by the University as it's representative than I would act as such.......when you're a fan, you're a fan

Well we do not have #1 or #2 in your example right now, so why would anyone expect to have #3?

Well we do not have #1 or #2 in your example right now, so why would anyone expect to have #3?

Yet it works both ways. We don't have #3, so why do we think we should have #1 or #2?

Is the University of Nebraska football team unique or not? Are the fans unique or not?

Our coach is the only one displaying buffoonery, we can say or act anyway we want because we don't make millions and are fans. If I was being paid millions by the University as it's representative than I would act as such.......when you're a fan, you're a fan

Ummm...

Ok.

In response to the OP. This is not an NFL franchise. These are not pros.

Negativity toward any coach or player is negativity toward the program.

Period!

We have a very loud section of the fan base that blasts negativity all the time.

I maintain that there is a difference between being critical and being negative. I also hold the coach to a different standard than I hold a player.

I can be critical of a coach and I can have concerns about a player and it not be negativity toward the program. I can also praise the same coach and player or other coaches or players. The bolded statement above represents an irrational leap in logic.

Last edited:
I maintain that there is a difference between being critical and being negative. I also hold the coach to a different standard than I hold a player.

I can be critical of a coach and I can have concerns about a player and it not be negativity toward the program. I can also praise the same coach and player or other coaches or players. The bolded statement above represents an irrational leap in logic.

I generally agree. Criticism is acceptable, and even necessary at times. The question is, when does criticism cross the line into simply being negative? At what point is it no longer helpful? I suppose that varies based on the individual doing the criticism and the person being criticized.

Yet it works both ways. We don't have #3, so why do we think we should have #1 or #2?

Is the University of Nebraska football team unique or not? Are the fans unique or not?

The fans of NU are unique, they can realize what bad football looks like without being prompted by the media or other outside influences. Many a national writer and announcer has made mention of how knowledgeable the NU fan base is. The NU program right now is not winning at the highest level and it's coach has a poor sideline demeanor. To suggest that how NU fans act controls either one of those things is intellectually dishonest. And the fact that the head coach of NU football is more concerned with the latter than the former speaks volumes on what o expect going forward.

The fans of NU are unique, they can realize what bad football looks like without being prompted by the media or other outside influences. Many a national writer and announcer has made mention of how knowledgeable the NU fan base is. The NU program right now is not winning at the highest level and it's coach has a poor sideline demeanor. To suggest that how NU fans act controls either one of those things is intellectually dishonest. And the fact that the head coach of NU football is more concerned with the latter than the former speaks volumes on what o expect going forward.

I hate to break it to you, but they say that about a lot of fan bases. We just hear it over and over and over again, because we watch and read everything related to NU. Watch or read articles about programs that have tremendous followings (like NU) and you'll likely hear and read the same thing. It's a nice compliment, but it's not unique to just NU.

I didn't suggest that fan behavior controls anything; where did you get that? The suggestion was that Nebraska fans aren't any rougher than any other fan base. If we're the same as other fan bases, then 8-4, 9-4, 10-4 records would be welcome, because those are good records at most schools. We wouldn't be complaining that our coach yells at people and says bad words, because most coaches do that.

We have some pretty high demands. We expect our team to win more games than every other team, and we expect our coach to behave differently than other coaches, and we expect to be treated like royalty by those we just finished badmouthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back