• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to speculate on who the new coach might be

I don't know much about bball, but I would think that NU has just about everything in place to be successful. New practice facility, a soon to be complete arena, now all we need is the right coach to put it all together. Maybe the Huskers open up the purse strings a little.

I don't think there'll be a better opportunity to lure a quality coach to Nebraska for a long, long time.

I agree....but...

When a guy is going to have his pick of jobs and has no emotional connection to any of them he's going to take route that he feels is going to lead to success for him.

If Illinois is really going to be a player for Smart it's going to be very difficult for NU. They will be willing to spend more. They have the facilities. They have the basketball history. Easier recruiting. Etc. It would take a sales job of epic proportions to get a guy to pass that up for NU. Maybe tom can do it.

I'm not saying NU can't get a good coach. I'm saying they aren't going to get one of the "rock stars".

Marshall would be an intriguing choice... Howland isn't getting the axe... If we're willing to give Pelini money to Smart, then maybe, but very doubtful. Groce has a good background in the B1G region but Bils your same comment re: Miles would hold for him as well as he's had high profile assistant jobs but Ohio is his only head coaching experience.

Personally when I saw Doc had been fired, the first name that came to mind was Tim Miles. I know Tim from when I was going to school at NDSU as I was close with the 'Fab Four' who he recruited. Two years after he left, those guys were seniors and took NDSU to the big dance in their first eligible year and played KU in the first round in Minne where they only lost by 10. Also while he was there, those young guys (FR and SO years) upset Marquette and Wisky on the road when both were ranked in the top 15. Every year his teams have improved at CSU and they are currently on the bubble for the tournament. TM has always run a clean program with an emphasis on academics. Personally I think its worth a call from TO as he could do much worse.

I think IDEALLY if you're going to hire a guy that has only head coached at the MM level he'd at least have big time assistant experience. Miles, as far as I know, has never been involved in a big time league. NU doesn't need a guy who's feeling his way around for a couple years.

And to those dismissing Alford or Davis...just because things don't work out for a guy at one place doesn't mean they won't get better as coaches....maybe even learn some lessons from their first go-round.

AAU recruiting......its really the only way your going to be successful in college basketball today. Its what is NOT talked about,
all the big schools do it almost EVERY season. Has T.O. told our coach's to stay away from the aau hiring practices?? Not
sure? do know we are going to have to keep up the jones, we will have to do what all the other big boys are doing and
bow down to tha AAU player/coach package deals.

AAU recruiting......its really the only way your going to be successful in college basketball today. Its what is NOT talked about,
all the big schools do it almost EVERY season. Has T.O. told our coach's to stay away from the aau hiring practices?? Not
sure? do know we are going to have to keep up the jones, we will have to do what all the other big boys are doing and
bow down to tha AAU player/coach package deals.

NU recruits AAUs. The question is do they work that curcuit as hard as they need to? Obviously no. And you don't have to cheat to make it work.

I've also heard it speculated that the adidas contract doesn't do NU bball any favors....with so many of the AAU coaches being "nike guys"? When you think about it it sorta makes sense. I guess someone could do a study and find that it doesn't matter. Just thought that it was an interesting angle I hadn't thought of before.

Smart: No chance.

Marshall: Speculation is that South Carolina might be his destination if he leaves WSU. Coached at Winthrop and Coll. of Charleston.

Howland: Talking heads have come out somewhat in defense of him after the big hub-up at UCLA but he's stained for now. Might not even get axed at UCLA

Groce is intriguing. OSU asst. before Ohio gig.

Miles...entire coaching career in puny schools and DII.

I really can't figure out how Howland could have been so successful at Pitt -- and failed so miserably at UCLA. But it does sound like he allowed the inmates run the asylum in Westwood -- and that is a serious black mark against Ben Howland (I doubt NU goes after him).

I do like the idea of Groce being pursued.

JP - 300K per year
Beck - 365K per year
Kaczenski - 195K per year
Brown and Barney - 240K per year
Els - 220K per year
Fisher - 180K per year
Garrison - 160K per year
Raymond - 200K per year
Bo to 2.875M per year

so that's about 1.8M for the assistants and totals about 4.7M for the football staff coaches

this according to Sip on 20 Jan 12.

Thanks for the info. So assuming NU spends near 2 million dollars per year to lure a coach in, they'll be spending just as much on just HC salaries as they do the entire football staff. That doesn't include the 4 or 5 assistants that a new coach will bring in. That's a pretty big commitment to basketball.

He already flamed out at Iowa, so I'm not sure he's a good fit. Good coach, just better suited for high mid-majors, IMO.

Maybe. maybe not. I'd take Alford over Weber. Alford was only in his mid-30s when hired at Iowa -- really, still cutting his coaching teeth. And he wasn't a total failure. He did have three NCAA Tournament appearances with Iowa in his 8 seasons -- and was 25-9, 2nd in the Big Ten in his next to last. Finished in the upper-half of the Big Ten three of his last four seasons. Iowa hasn't sniffed the Dance since Alford departed (5 seasons -- though they do appear to be on the upswing now). 7th place finish in the conference this season was their highest post-Alford. He's now 47 and is likely a much better coach than he was coming into Iowa City. I don't know -- it's always a bit of a guessing game, but I don't think he's ever shown to be a total flame out.

I don't know much about bball, but I would think that NU has just about everything in place to be successful. New practice facility, a soon to be complete arena, now all we need is the right coach to put it all together. Maybe the Huskers open up the purse strings a little.

I don't think there'll be a better opportunity to lure a quality coach to Nebraska for a long, long time.

Yes, probably a better opportunity than when NU hired Collier and Sadler. Definitely more to offer facility-wise. Unfortunately, Doc did leave the team itself in shambles -- as bad as I've seen -- even Nee left plenty more talent when his era eroded. Collier inherited Belcher and Ffriend. Doc inherited Maric. The next coach inherits nothing even close -- but that does offer low expectations in the short-term and a chance to build.

I mentioned Tim Miles a month ago. I think his starting backcourt this year are nebraska kids. He knows how to scratch and claw to find obscure talent, but just doesnt have the resources at CSU to recruit nationally. What he's done with his limited talent/roster is amazing. Giving the B1G Stage, with NUs facilities and fan base, this young coach would be remarkable!

I mentioned Tim Miles a month ago. I think his starting backcourt this year are nebraska kids. He knows how to scratch and claw to find obscure talent, but just doesnt have the resources at CSU to recruit nationally. What he's done with his limited talent/roster is amazing. Giving the B1G Stage, with NUs facilities and fan base, this young coach would be remarkable!

Good Choice - I've watched/attended several Rams games and that motion offense is fun to watch. :cool:

TM is signed at CSU through 2016, $750K annually... not sure on buyout #.

Last edited:
Good Choice - I've watched/attended several Rams games and that motion offense is fun to watch. :cool:

TM is signed at CSU through 2016, $750K annually... not sure on buyout #.

You are correct on his contract. Regarding the buyout, that I don't know. The new CSU AD has been pretty aggressive on the football side of things, and I don't know if he gave Miles the current contract thru 2016, or if that was the last AD. Do you know which AD did the current contract for Miles ?

Love him or hate him...I don't think Barfy pulls stuff out of thin air. And he's mentioned Altman more than once.

An opinion from Oregon:

http://special.registerguard.com/we...tman-oregon-com-registerguard-sports.html.csp

So I asked Altman if he was interested.
“I haven’t even thought about it, I really haven’t,†he said. “I guess ‘no comment’ is the way to go on all of these things. I’ve only been here for two years. It’s a building process.â€

Clearly, family matters. Altman’s aging parents still live in Wilber; two of his sons live in Omaha. His wife’s family is in Nebraska, too. And people who have known him for a long time say Husker hoops was a building project he always wanted to undertake.

Oh yeah, Osborne. Altman has long admired the legendary former football coach, who visited the Oregon locker room last November after the Ducks beat the Huskers in Lincoln. Sure, he’d take his call.

Interesting... how did I miss Osborne visiting Altman and the Oregon locker room last season? That's basically unheard of in sports... typically something you wouldn't want to see your AD do... but it does go to show just how much he does value and admire Altman.

Interesting... how did I miss Osborne visiting Altman and the Oregon locker room last season? That's basically unheard of in sports... typically something you wouldn't want to see your AD do... but it does go to show just how much he does value and admire Altman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Osborne doesn't do this at every game he attends.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back