• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to speculate on who the new coach might be

NUtronic

Unencumbered by the thought process
15 Year Member
Some possible candidates ...

Dave Bliss
Clem Haskins
Jim Harrick
Kelvin Sampson
Bobby Knight
Pat Knight
Larry Eustachy
Danny Nee
Isaiah Thomas
Barry Collier
Jerry Tarkanian
Billy Tubbs

Some possible candidates ...

Dave Bliss
Clem Haskins
Jim Harrick
Kelvin Sampson
Bobby Knight
Pat Knight
Larry Eustachy
Danny Nee
Isaiah Thomas
Barry Collier
Jerry Tarkanian
Billy Tubbs
On a serious thought....

I'll give three I'd like to get an interview, but I'm not sure they'd leave their current position.

Shaka Smart Head Coach VCU

Greg McDermott Head Coach Creighton

Frank Martin Head Coach Kansas State

Neither would come cheap, but with the new Arena needing the seats to be filled, I think it's a must.

Last edited:
Smart is someone they certainly must at least try to talk to. My concern with him is connections in the Big 10 area. Maybe that can be overcome with the right assistants.

McDertmott obviously isn't going anywhere because of his son. He flopped at ISU but I don't think that's a death sentence for him in the furture. One of the few guys who will straight up say he messed up. I read where he said that one thing he regretted was creating a bad culture. Someday. But not now.

Martin. No chance for a lot of reasons.

On a serious thought....

I'll give three I'd like to get an interview, but I'm not sure they'd leave their current position.

Shaka Smart Head Coach VCU

Greg McDermott Head Coach Creighton

Frank Martin Head Coach Kansas State

Neither would come cheap, but with the new Arena needing the seats to be filled, I think it's a must.

Illinois is rumored to be after Smart. I don't care for Martin but he can coach.

Illinois is rumored to be after Smart. I don't care for Martin but he can coach.

Smart is going to have better options than NU. And Illinois won't be outspent v. NU.

NU's not likely to get the hottest of the hot names. Marshall and Smart come to mind in that regard.

That said. Gregg Marshall is another call that needs to be made. I'd hate to see it because he's a conspiracy theory having, ref blaming, cry baby, butt-clown. But he can coach.

Last edited:
I understand your post is not meant to be serious but Eustachy is worth a look.
Possibly. What he did at ISU was impressive -- showing he can overcome the recruiting disadvantages inherent to the Midwest. And I understand he's overcome his drinking problems (an even bigger success).

But in this age of digital photos posted online, where even a momentary, uncharacteristic lapse can cruelly dog you forever ... those pictures of him with the coeds and Natty Light at the college party will always be part of his personal baggage.

I think he might be happier remaining where he is, enjoying some success at a lower level and not having to deal with embarrassing publicity about his past -- sure to happen if he steps up to a high-profile coaching job.​

Last edited:
Possibly. What he did at ISU was impressive -- showing he can overcome the recruiting disadvantages inherent to the Midwest. And I understand he's overcome his drinking problems (an even bigger success).

But in this age of digital photos posted online, where even a momentary, uncharacteristic lapse can cruelly dog you forever ... those pictures of him with the coeds and Natty Light at the college party will always be part of his personal baggage.

I think he might be happier remaining where he is, enjoying some success at a lower level and not having to deal with embarrassing publicity about his past -- sure to happen if he steps up to a high-profile coaching job.

Not to be a smart alek but that's why NU makes sense for him. It's not a high profile job. There would be one very quick story on ESPN about it and that would be it. Never to be heard from again until he turned NU around. Then he'd be a feel good story.

I'm guessing Bo would chip in to pay some of Frank Martin's salary, as Martin makes Bo look like T.O. on the sideline.

Not to be a smart alek but that's why NU makes sense for him. It's not a high profile job. There would be one very quick story on ESPN about it and that would be it. Never to be heard from again until he turned NU around. Then he'd be a feel good story.

Every year, Eustachy would have to go to Iowa City, and the Hawkeyes would be merciless.

And while NU is no Kansas (or even Texas Tech), their membership in a power conference makes this a relatively high profile job.

Every year, Eustachy would have to go to Iowa City, and the Hawkeyes would be merciless.

And while NU is no Kansas (or even Texas Tech), their membership in a power conference makes this a relatively high profile job.

Someone will hire the guy. And he'll take crap from students wherever he goes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back