• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to speculate on who the new coach might be

I obviously don't follow this to closely, but living out here in Boulder I can't help notice the success Tad Boyle is having with the Buffs. They are in the Pac 12 final tonight, his second year. Good NIT run last year, his first. Before that coached the University of Northern Colorado for 4 years and improved them greatly. Colorado native. Calls it his dream job, a destination job.

Sounds kind of like Altman. Hmm.

Maybe. maybe not. I'd take Alford over Weber. Alford was only in his mid-30s when hired at Iowa -- really, still cutting his coaching teeth. And he wasn't a total failure. He did have three NCAA Tournament appearances with Iowa in his 8 seasons -- and was 25-9, 2nd in the Big Ten in his next to last. Finished in the upper-half of the Big Ten three of his last four seasons. Iowa hasn't sniffed the Dance since Alford departed (5 seasons -- though they do appear to be on the upswing now). 7th place finish in the conference this season was their highest post-Alford. He's now 47 and is likely a much better coach than he was coming into Iowa City. I don't know -- it's always a bit of a guessing game, but I don't think he's ever shown to be a total flame out.

To be honest, NU could do a lot worse than Alford. "Flamed out" is probably not the right choice of words, but I remember Iowa fans running him out of town. (Probably relatively unwarranted given the postseason success he had there and lack of since.)

IMO, it's very surprising to see Mike Davis as an early rumored name. Robin Washut also mentioned Harvard's Tommy Amaker as a possible candidate. So far, he has mentioned Davis and Amaker, both former Big 10 coaches. I wonder if he is hearing rumors or is just throwing out his own ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised if Osborne doesn't do this at every game he attends.

I seriously doubt it. He did in this case because he's know altman fromn when TO was "consulting" with the Creighton athletic department.

Last edited:
To be honest, NU could do a lot worse than Alford. "Flamed out" is probably not the right choice of words, but I remember Iowa fans running him out of town. (Probably relatively unwarranted given the postseason success he had there and lack of since.)

IMO, it's very surprising to see Mike Davis as an early rumored name. Robin Washut also mentioned Harvard's Tommy Amaker as a possible candidate. So far, he has mentioned Davis and Amaker, both former Big 10 coaches. I wonder if he is hearing rumors or is just throwing out his own ideas.

I certainly recall Alford somehow alienating Iowa fans...but at the same time Iowa fans have an inflated opinion of what they are basketball-wise as well so him not bringing ENOUGH success to them probably shouldnt be a surprise. Their new coach will do well. It will be interesting to see if it's well enough after a few NCAAs but no final 4.

I can argue that this hire may be Osborne's second most important hire ever if not first.

ESPN's Dan Dakich tweeted some comments in regards to the Nebraska job earlier today:

- "Any thoughts on who Nebraska might pursue for their head coach opening?”..Shaka and Altman for starters

Only an hour later to post:

-
John Groce of Ohio will be a factor in the Nebraska job

Alford is worth considering in my opinion, Mike Davis is not. Living here in Indiana for 25+ years I've watched both, and Davis didn't handle the spotlight very well. Very nice guy, great recruiter.....but the fan intensity really messed him up. I doubt he misses the Big 10 too much.

The mention of steve alford, could be a good one, I believe he was at a div 2 school in missouri b4 going to Iowa, he had a few good teams in iowa, but it didnt pan out for him there. ----- I lived in cedar falls at the time, and went to some games and talked daily about Iowa BB will lots of guys. I think it was too big of a job, too early in his career, because he was competing against, bob knight, gene keady, tom izzo, i think steve fischer was still there, wisc was pretty good then too, Ill wasnt too bad, and neither was Minn, who went to a couple tournaments. I think the competition was just too much for a guy that young, but hey, he has 8+ years more experience now, winning experience too. He might be worth a look. Where ever he goes, he still draws attention, and exposure. I dont think the big 10 is as competitive as it was 10 years ago, (still too much for nebr), but he might work out.

The mention of steve alford, could be a good one, I believe he was at a div 2 school in missouri b4 going to Iowa, he had a few good teams in iowa, but it didnt pan out for him there. ----- I lived in cedar falls at the time, and went to some games and talked daily about Iowa BB will lots of guys. I think it was too big of a job, too early in his career, because he was competing against, bob knight, gene keady, tom izzo, i think steve fischer was still there, wisc was pretty good then too, Ill wasnt too bad, and neither was Minn, who went to a couple tournaments. I think the competition was just too much for a guy that young, but hey, he has 8+ years more experience now, winning experience too. He might be worth a look. Where ever he goes, he still draws attention, and exposure. I dont think the big 10 is as competitive as it was 10 years ago, (still too much for nebr), but he might work out.

Missouri State. D1. Took them to the sweet 16. sheesh

Although the guy is an arse on the sidelines and somewhat off the court....I think Rex Walters could be a good option, he is under the radar, young and doing good things at San Francsico, they run a full court trapping D and he likes active guards with solid forwards..... and with TO in the skybox I think he would clean up his image as it pertains to "disgruntled messages"

http://www.omaha.com/article/201203...necht-strong-endorsement-from-spinelli-s-boss

Count Mark Turgeon as someone who thinks spinelli is ready for the NU job.

It's hard not to believe what he says. But you have to remember that every candidate is going to have people like turgeon in their corner singing their praises. Hiring a head coach can't be easy if you don't already have a "that's my guy" guy in mind!

Hmmmm......just don't kow how I feel about Spinelli. Who did he recruit to NU that was so great? Now, he was still recruiting under Collier and kids may have been disinterested becasue of the style of play, but it just doesn't get me too excited. On the other hand, if he loves Nebraska that much it would be nice to have that energy. But on the other other hand, Sadler from all accounts loved Nebraska too, and that didn't work out well.

Last edited:
The recruiting game has changed quite a bit since he was here last. With the move to the Big 10 and the additions of a top tier practice facility and the new arena coming to the Haymarket in 2013, recruiting should be much easier. We aren't going to turn into Duke or Kansas, but we should be able to compete at a much different level than we have historically.

How about TJ Otzelberger the lead assistant and lead recruiter at Iowa State.

Otzelberger is a "kid" who has brought in the squad that helped Hoiberg turn things around at Iowa State. He (Otz) was there under McDermott but stayed through the transition.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back