• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to speculate on who the new coach might be

Barfknecht mentions some names...and a potential salary for the "right" guy. $1.5-1.7M is possible for someone meeting the "right criteria". Good start.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120309/BIGRED/703099818/1001#next-coach-likely-to-receive-pay-boost

Don't be surprised if Osborne makes a strong run at Oregon coach Dana Altman. The Wilber, Neb., native and former Creighton coach is in his second year at Oregon.

The Nebraska job is one Altman has told friends long ago that he would someday like to have. Osborne and Altman became good friends when Osborne did consulting work at Creighton in the mid-2000s.

Love him or hate him...I don't think Barfy pulls stuff out of thin air. And he's mentioned Altman more than once.

Mentions Spinelli and a few others as well.

Last edited:
LJS' Brian Rosenthal mentioned these names:

* Keep an eye on these names: John Groce. Ben Howland. Gregg Marshall. Tim Miles. Shaka Smart.

He also added that Altman is not on NU's list, "not now, anyway."

* Keep an eye on these names: John Groce. Ben Howland. Gregg Marshall. Tim Miles. Shaka Smart.

Smart: No chance.

Marshall: Speculation is that South Carolina might be his destination if he leaves WSU. Coached at Winthrop and Coll. of Charleston.

Howland: Talking heads have come out somewhat in defense of him after the big hub-up at UCLA but he's stained for now. Might not even get axed at UCLA

Groce is intriguing. OSU asst. before Ohio gig.

Miles...entire coaching career in puny schools and DII.

I don't want Altman. While he would qualify as an improvement, I don't think he would excite the big money donors (nor the common fan) the way some of the other potential candidates might.

But my biggest reason against Altman?

In the last five years, Altman has pledged his loyalty to three different schools: Arkansas, Creighton, and Oregon.

Pick your reason (job-hopper, not sure what he wants, commit-o-phobe, whatever) but Nebraska needs somebody committed to building the program - not to running off to the next job opening.

I don't want Altman. While he would qualify as an improvement, I don't think he would excite the big money donors (nor the common fan) the way some of the other potential candidates might.

But my biggest reason against Altman?

In the last five years, Altman has pledged his loyalty to three different schools: Arkansas, Creighton, and Oregon.

Pick your reason (job-hopper, not sure what he wants, commit-o-phobe, whatever) but Nebraska needs somebody committed to building the program - not to running off to the next job opening.

I certainly get the "job hopping" thing but...

...we'll never know what happened with Arkansas. I've always thought his eyes were opened to something ugly in a hurry. Regardless...when he got back things were never the same. It was probably time to go when he did. Leaving for Nebraska would be a "coming home" thing. Supposedly he wanted the job a while back. Anyway, I don't think you'd have to worry about him leaving for "the next opening". He passed on a lot of opportunities while at CU. And Nebraska is home, afterall.

As for exciting donors. That can't be TO's top priority. Hiring the right guy is the key. "Build it and they will come" so to speak. NU is NOT going to get a "wow", Shaka Smart type hire. Altman may or may not be the choice.

But if TO thinks he's the right guy and he makes the choice to come...I wouldn't worry about "commitment" issues.

So it's gonna mean a minimum of $2M to get him...because I can assure you Illinois will pay it. And is there a buyout involved in getting him away from VCU? Sorry man...no chance. Could you imagine NU paying the bball coach nearly what the football coach is making?

BUT, If TO pulled it off it would be a massive coup on his part!

I don't know much about bball, but I would think that NU has just about everything in place to be successful. New practice facility, a soon to be complete arena, now all we need is the right coach to put it all together. Maybe the Huskers open up the purse strings a little.

I don't think there'll be a better opportunity to lure a quality coach to Nebraska for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Personally, I think that Steve Alford at New Mexico is a young and up-and-coming BB Coach. He has the Lobo's playing at a 26-6 rate this year and they seem to be getting better every year since he became the Head Coach. I don't know if he would be a "fit" here...but I think he's going to be around for a lot of years to come.

Well, NU is already opening up the purse strings a bit when it comes to Doc's buyout. Doc's got an overall 3 million dollar buyout, and it'll cost upwards of 2 million per season for a really good coach. That's 5 million in one season spent on just head coaches for NU basketball. Anyone know how that relates to what all the full-time football coaches make in one year?

Personally, I think that Steve Alford at New Mexico is a young and up-and-coming BB Coach. He has the Lobo's playing at a 26-6 rate this year and they seem to be getting better every year since he became the Head Coach. I don't know if he would be a "fit" here...but I think he's going to be around for a lot of years to come.

He already flamed out at Iowa, so I'm not sure he's a good fit. Good coach, just better suited for high mid-majors, IMO.

Robin Washut:
One name we're hearing as a potential candidate for the Nebraska job is UAB coach/former Indiana coach Mike Davis.

I'm hoping that is a bad rumor. Mike Davis couldn't make it work at Indiana, so I'm not sure how he could make it in Lincoln.

Well, NU is already opening up the purse strings a bit when it comes to Doc's buyout. Doc's got an overall 3 million dollar buyout, and it'll cost upwards of 2 million per season for a really good coach. That's 5 million in one season spent on just head coaches for NU basketball. Anyone know how that relates to what all the full-time football coaches make in one year?

JP - 300K per year
Beck - 365K per year
Kaczenski - 195K per year
Brown and Barney - 240K per year
Els - 220K per year
Fisher - 180K per year
Garrison - 160K per year
Raymond - 200K per year
Bo to 2.875M per year

so that's about 1.8M for the assistants and totals about 4.7M for the football staff coaches

this according to Sip on 20 Jan 12.

Smart: No chance.

Marshall: Speculation is that South Carolina might be his destination if he leaves WSU. Coached at Winthrop and Coll. of Charleston.

Howland: Talking heads have come out somewhat in defense of him after the big hub-up at UCLA but he's stained for now. Might not even get axed at UCLA

Groce is intriguing. OSU asst. before Ohio gig.

Miles...entire coaching career in puny schools and DII.

Marshall would be an intriguing choice... Howland isn't getting the axe... If we're willing to give Pelini money to Smart, then maybe, but very doubtful. Groce has a good background in the B1G region but Bils your same comment re: Miles would hold for him as well as he's had high profile assistant jobs but Ohio is his only head coaching experience.

Personally when I saw Doc had been fired, the first name that came to mind was Tim Miles. I know Tim from when I was going to school at NDSU as I was close with the 'Fab Four' who he recruited. Two years after he left, those guys were seniors and took NDSU to the big dance in their first eligible year and played KU in the first round in Minne where they only lost by 10. Also while he was there, those young guys (FR and SO years) upset Marquette and Wisky on the road when both were ranked in the top 15. Every year his teams have improved at CSU and they are currently on the bubble for the tournament. TM has always run a clean program with an emphasis on academics. Personally I think its worth a call from TO as he could do much worse.

Last edited:

JP - 300K per year
Beck - 365K per year
Kaczenski - 195K per year
Brown and Barney - 240K per year
Els - 220K per year
Fisher - 180K per year
Garrison - 160K per year
Raymond - 200K per year
Bo to 2.875M per year

so that's about 1.8M for the assistants and totals about 4.7M for the football staff coaches

this according to Sip on 20 Jan 12.

Doc, being fired, will now make 66K per MONTH.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back