• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The One That Got Away

Larry Station stands out to me. He would have been a stud on those 80s defenses, with Knox and otherwise.

Another wildcard is football player Scott Frost, right out of high school. If he’s in the program his whole career and full-tilt in 1996, do the Huskers run the table four-straight years? Redshirt, get Newcombe to take a beat, and contend in 1998? The what if game is interesting.

It is my understanding that Heisman QB Lamar Jackson had it down to Nebraska and Louisville.

100%

I followed that recruitment pretty closely and I was convinced we had 'em. LJ would probably be on our Mt. Rushmore if he would have played for the Huskers. Big time recruiting loss.

I missed this completely - what made him choose Louisville over NU?
I heard it was the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum.

giant-baseball-bat-in-downtown-louisville-kentucky-gregory-ballos.jpg

I'll throw another one out there: RB Jamal Lewis.

He was down to us and Tennessee but I believe it was Peyton who talked him into choosing the Vols. He was a Junior in 1999. If we had a RB who could hold onto the ball and be a difference maker in 99 (NU had Buckhalter, Alexander and, for a little while, D Evans that year) then Nebraska beats Texas in the regular season and likely wins the National Title over FSU.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I could have sworn that Sayers mentioned in his autobiography that the demographics of the two schools played a part in his decision to attend KU

At any rate, though I'd love to claim him as one of our own, I don't really consider him as "one that got away" being that he turned us down when we were still in the 'Dark Ages' of Husker football before Devaney had come to resurrect the program

I read this as well. Might have been in 24th and Glory. Devaney was much better at relating to African-American athletes and started making hay in Omaha shortly after he came to Lincoln.

I read this as well. Might have been in 24th and Glory. Devaney was much better at relating to African-American athletes and started making hay in Omaha shortly after he came to Lincoln.
I still remember when Sayers made the KU decision final, new Husker coach Devaney said "That man may pursue a degree at any university he likes, but when they come to play the Huskers in Lincoln, he better strap his helmet on real tight." Interestingly, he played against the Huskers three times, failing to win any of those games, and only scoring one TD, albeit a 99-yard run. In 1962 he ran for 107 on 15 carries, had the big run in 1963, and in 1964 he only had 27 yards on 11 carries.

Sucks that we missed out on Sanders, but not knowing, at the time, what each would go on to do - I believe that Dr. Tom made the right call

You can't turn down the son of the greatest Husker player of all time for some unknown commodity from Wichita
If he hadnt blown his knee out he would have been all big 8. He was a stud but back then you just couldnt overcome knee injuries like you can now

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back