• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The One That Got Away

Marshall Faulk would have been a great Husker. With the Rams, he did a little bit of everything: runs, receptions, ran a few routes, etc. He was just one of those special players who could make magic happen every time he touched the ball.

We've done fairly well with those "all-purpose" guys like Roger Craig and Bobby Newcombe.

I'm sure that their are guys I have/had no clue about, but the two that I think of are, Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk. Those were two RB's when I was a teenager that stood out that I wish we could have landed.

Carl crawford was a real loss at a time we coulda really used him.

While sanders is disputably the GOAT rb, he wouldnt have changed our record significantly, we had really good backs, when he played.

Any really good passing qb we missed in the last 20 yr woulda been a significant miss and might of changed the trajectory of the program.

Sayers was biggest miss

Barry Sanders because TO was chasing Terry Rodgers.

To me though some of the QB misses sting as well … Bubba Starling, Monte Harrison, Carl Crawford.

Terry Rodgers wasn't some average football player coming out of HS. He was a legit prep AA rated just as highly or higher than Sanders. He was playing really well and had the bad knee injury and that was that.

Terry Rodgers wasn't some average football player coming out of HS. He was a legit prep AA rated just as highly or higher than Sanders. He was playing really well and had the bad knee injury and that was that.
Then sign both players ... who cares if you have one scholarship slotted for RBs.
Its revisionist thinking as Sanders wasn't very touted having scholarship offers from Tulsa, Ok State, Iowa St and Wichita St but if you really think he's good (which TO did) why limit yourself?

Then sign both players ... who cares if you have one scholarship slotted for RBs.
Its revisionist thinking as Sanders wasn't very touted having scholarship offers from Tulsa, Ok State, Iowa St and Wichita St but if you really think he's good (which TO did) why limit yourself?

You would have to ask TO about that. As someone said earlier. Barry Sanders wasn't going to make Nebraska that much better or better at all. The situation at OSU was ideal for him. He was the workhorse. He never would have got the same number of carries at Nebraska.

Did you mention this to Tom? He sure could have used this thought process back then. :rolleyes:

Did you mention this to Tom? He sure could have used this thought process back then. :rolleyes:
Its a theoretical discussion ... I understand the arguments for and against Barry Sanders. There are arguments for and against virtually every player. We have the luxury of looking back and saying what-if.

The argument of taking Terry Rodgers over Barry Sanders is weak with history on our side. I can certainly question those choices now. The argument that there was only room for 1 running back in that class is weak in my opinion!

Your response is argumentative and condescending.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back