• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

Agree. I can't reallly understand why we can't seem to get a pass to our RB's, why Lindsey seems incapable of getting anything but a heavily covered pass in the flat and why our fly sweeps are ineffective. I do believe it is all a work in progress though, as long as the team improves each game we'll have a good season.
This is where I was after I finally watched the 2nd half. I couldn't bear to watch what I assumed was impending doom to rival Lubbock based on the 1st half real time.

Credit the offense for putting points on the board. But lots of things there to worry about. Missed throws, missed check-downs and underneath throws (throwing to double covered WRs instead) . . . and our WRs need to find the area on the OTHER side of the first down marker when they break off their routes. That could have been costly. The offense was also bailed out by a personal foul (maybe a little ticky-tack??) down deep late in the game that kept a TD drive going.

I went into watching the replay of the 2nd half expecting to see the offense look like it was running well--but there were some touch and go moments where they were nearly dead in the water and got a little lucky.

Lots of work to be done on both sides of the ball. Hopefully things improve.

Pretty much nailed it for me... Against Oregon you have to win one on one matchups defensively, and with who they have been able to recruit at their skill positions for WR, RB, and TE compared to who we had in the defensive backfield, we just aren't there yet. Then once they got us in bad alignments or in a bad call, they went fast and there was not much for us to do. I'll credit them there and their guys just winning some battles against us. There is still some stuff i'm frustrated with like rushing 3 and giving the Oregon QB all day, but generally there's some things we can work on that won't take long or the ball just bounces the other way and we are fine.

I think offensively a lot can be chalked up to the timing still not quite being there for Lee and his receivers yet. The INT before half that led to a touchdown, next INT whether it was Morgan running an extra yard or two, or not being on the same page where the hole in the coverage was, that doesn't happen if they have a year working together. The ball he threw to Lindsey that he bobbled because it was a hair early, again, you just have to work those kinks out. Our one back situation is interesting too, I think Bryant has been extremely good. But he gets tired and overworked, is Wilbon and Ozigbo really not capable? That could bite us come November. I get Wilbon looked bad in pass pro, but they can do some other things with him. And some of it Lee just flat out missed guys, but again, he hasn't played in awhile.

But quite honestly we needed our offense to be better while our defense got up to speed... an INT first play from our offense letting them take it to the 20, the Lindsey bobble to not extend a drive in the 2nd quarter, then the Lee INT the very next series before half taking it from 35-14 to 42-14. You just can't do that, and with a new defensive scheme on the road, we had to be better first half if we wanted any shot at winning that game. There's things we can improve upon from the Oregon game that won't take much to improve on.

Last edited:

Cut the int's to 2 and that is quite possibly a different outcome. not to say all was otherwise fine but if you told me nu was going to turn it over 4 times i would have bet the farm on oregon.

Cut the int's to 2 and that is quite possibly a different outcome. not to say all was otherwise fine but if you told me nu was going to turn it over 4 times i would have bet the farm on oregon.
I agree. Turnovers are consistently the best predictor of W/L. Say what you want about completion percent, but an incomplete pass and a punt could have made a huge difference. If nothing else it slows the momentum.

Agree. We have a ways to go and i'm not saying everything is rosey, but outside looking in you see 42-14 and get pretty down. After rewatching, there were so many times we could have helped ourselves out by doing nothing. What I mean is, throwing an incompletion instead of an INT, that sort of thing. We have a lot to work on but I was actually more upset with the Arkansas State gameplan defensively than Oregon.

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.

Losing Jones after moving Kalu was pretty rough, still a little disappointing considering the talent on the field and available at CB. But, still young and new to starting in a new system so (hopefully) more confidence and improvements to come weekly.

2 key plays in the 1st half for me.

1) the first pick by OU. Morgan needs to make that catch, sets a tone and moves the sticks rather than starting the snowball

2) the 3rd and long deflection reception they had late 2nd quarter...think it was 28-14 at the time. That ball falls incomplete, they punt...we may have scored, we may have not..but going into the half down 28-14, hell, even 35-14...feels loads better than 42-14

I agree, we seem to be ok against the run

I hope you are right. I'm not sure I've seen enough run defense to make a fair assessment. And if I'm a defensive coordinator I think I might throw the ball at Nebraska--because we are clearly have trouble stopping the pass.

Great post, as usual ***. I always appreciate seeing your breakdowns on the details. When you mentioned getting in bad alignments, it reminded me of one play in particular that stuck out to me, and not understanding enough on the 3-4 to get it. This was the big play to Charles Nelson on a post route with 2:10 left in the 1st. They had two wide to the right, with Gifford and Barry on them tight, with Lee playing deep to that side. When the split end goes on a fly route and Nelson runs the post, they just fly by the LBs and that left Lee on an island with two receivers to cover. How is that possibly supposed to work? Was Williams late to come from the middle? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one if you can find the time to look at it. I'd embed the play like you do,,,, if I had a clue how to do it.

2 key plays in the 1st half for me.

1) the first pick by OU. Morgan needs to make that catch, sets a tone and moves the sticks rather than starting the snowball

2) the 3rd and long deflection reception they had late 2nd quarter...think it was 28-14 at the time. That ball falls incomplete, they punt...we may have scored, we may have not..but going into the half down 28-14, hell, even 35-14...feels loads better than 42-14

For me the key play in the 1st half was movement by Pierson-El when we made the 4th down on the QB sneak. Continue that drive and score, we're down one score and get the ball to open the 2nd half. Score again and it's tied. Instead we're down 21 at half.

For me the key play in the 1st half was movement by Pierson-El when we made the 4th down on the QB sneak. Continue that drive and score, we're down one score and get the ball to open the 2nd half. Score again and it's tied. Instead we're down 21 at half.

Good call

I'm actually more discouraged with the offense than the defense. We needed to do much better offensively if we wanted to win that game. We put our defense in some awful spots.
Sadly, that's been the Huskers theme for a while now. Let's hope we clear that up soon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back