• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

Now... I don't know Diaco's defense as well as I knew Pelini's at the end of his tenure, and we are only 2 games in here, but i'm going to show just some little things that could get cleaned up and make all the difference in the world for us. This was the first possession of the game. Let's save that I don't like us being in a 3-4, but if you are going to do it, if everyone is sound you can stop the heck out of the run.

Let's start with the bad... With the 3-4 on the field, our ILBs should know that Newby will be able to force everything back inside to them. Weber on this first play, has a pulling guard that he should go his with his left (inside) shoulder leaving his outside arm free, turning the play back in to Young who is pursuing backside. If he would do this, Young makes the tackle for about no gain since no one is blocking him.

Since Weber doesn't hit with the correct shoulder, Freeman runs wild. But Taggart notices we are in a 3-4 and just got 30 or so yards, so what does he do? He doesn't reinvent the wheel, flips the formation and runs virtually the exact same play to the other side. Weber learns from his mistake this last time, and hits the pulling guard with his inside shoulder leaving his outside free, and now Freeman has nowhere to run. Young is sitting right there unblocked to make the tackle.

2nd and 9 instead of 1st and 10 after the same play. Something really small that we could clean up and look a whole lot better. But it's things that you have to learn while the bullets are flying unfortunately.

Great illustration. They always say that football is a game of inches. How true it is! I'm sure there are many correctable mistakes from this game, let's hope the list gets smaller going forward.

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.

Thanks ***, really appreciate your thoughts. I've been looking forward to your breakdown since Saturday.

This is good news. :Banana:

I'm actually more discouraged with the offense than the defense. We needed to do much better offensively if we wanted to win that game. We put our defense in some awful spots.

This is bad news. :Bananalazy:

Last edited:

I'm actually more discouraged with the offense than the defense. We needed to do much better offensively if we wanted to win that game. We put our defense in some awful spots.

I agree. I realize that Tanner didn't have his best day, however what frustrated me the most was that it didn't seem like we ever had open receivers. And when they did make catches they had no running room at all. Other than the corner blitz breakdown, I only seen OU have a couple of breakdowns in coverages and leave open receivers. Also disappointed in the talk about the screen game. Oregon had everyone of those that NU tried defended easily.

I agree. I realize that Tanner didn't have his best day, however what frustrated me the most was that it didn't seem like we ever had open receivers. And when they did make catches they had no running room at all. Other than the corner blitz breakdown, I only seen OU have a couple of breakdowns in coverages and leave open receivers. Also disappointed in the talk about the screen game. Oregon had everyone of those that NU tried defended easily.
i dont know....seemed like Lee missed a few open guys.

Agree. I can't reallly understand why we can't seem to get a pass to our RB's, why Lindsey seems incapable of getting anything but a heavily covered pass in the flat and why our fly sweeps are ineffective. I do believe it is all a work in progress though, as long as the team improves each game we'll have a good season.

This is where I was after I finally watched the 2nd half. I couldn't bear to watch what I assumed was impending doom to rival Lubbock based on the 1st half real time.

Credit the offense for putting points on the board. But lots of things there to worry about. Missed throws, missed check-downs and underneath throws (throwing to double covered WRs instead) . . . and our WRs need to find the area on the OTHER side of the first down marker when they break off their routes. That could have been costly. The offense was also bailed out by a personal foul (maybe a little ticky-tack??) down deep late in the game that kept a TD drive going.

I went into watching the replay of the 2nd half expecting to see the offense look like it was running well--but there were some touch and go moments where they were nearly dead in the water and got a little lucky.

Lots of work to be done on both sides of the ball. Hopefully things improve.

Last edited:
This is where I was after I finally watched the 2nd half. I couldn't bear to watch what I assumed was impending doom to rival Lubbock based on the 1st half real time.

Credit the offense for putting points on the board. But lots of things there to worry about. Missed throws, missed check-downs and underneath throws (throwing to double covered WRs instead) . . . and our WRs need to find the area on the OTHER side of the first down marker when they break off their routes. That could have been costly. The offense was also bailed out by a personal foul (maybe a little ticky-tack??) down deep late in the game that kept a TD drive going.

I went into watching the replay of the 2nd half expecting to see the offense look like it was running well--but there were some touch and go moments where they were nearly dead in the water and got a little lucky.

Lots of work to be done on both sides of the ball. Hopefully things improve.

On one Lindsay would have had the first down but bobbled the ball. Lee threw that one a little early and it was on top of Lindsay the instant he turned around. That he even caught it was a hell of a play. The other one I recall was on 4th and 10....I think it was morgan who had 1st down yardage then gave it away before gaining it back and then some...he almost gave me a heart attack on that one.

On one Lindsay would have had the first down but bobbled the ball. Lee threw that one a little early and it was on top of Lindsay the instant he turned around. That he even caught it was a hell of a play. The other one I recall was on 4th and 10....I think it was morgan who had 1st down yardage then gave it away before gaining it back and then some...he almost gave me a heart attack on that one.

LOL . . . me too. And I wasn't even watching it when it happened. I'm sitting there watching the DVR of the game knowing we lost and I'm sitting there yelling "GET UPFIELD!!!!!!!" at the tv.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back