• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

Not basing anything on that. As I’ve maintained, I would have liked to have seen more of him to determine more. I mean, my Lord, Scott Frost was a trash QB after Arizona State, remember? Folks wanted to throw him to the curb, remember? He sucks is what many said. People can’t get better? Smothers played in a very tough situation, his first game. It wasn’t Southwestern Tech he was playing. He played a real team, with a tough defense. Played fairly well for his first real action. Definitely made some mistakes, but who the hell doesn’t? The athlete in him gives him a solid chance. He’s a fast, athletic kid, that has/had potential. I wish him well.
Hey it’s honorable that you see potential in him. It would be nice if everyone could feel that way about all our players. The point however is you are taking a strong stance that is contrary to several head coaches and staffs that would indicate he is a deserving quarterback over other quarterbacks in the system. Many posters find that to be a slam against past and current quarterbacks.

2 staffs? The first staff never gave him a chance because Frost was married to Martinez. The second staff hasn’t even seen him yet because he is injured. Again, I’m his limited time on the field, he did some good things. Imagine if he ever could have just played? Is he the only guy that doesn’t get better with playing time? Nah, not buying that nonsense.
He could not throw the ball downfield consistently enough to play. Against Iowa last year in the second half, they stacked the box and dared him to throw deep, when he finally did, it was a pick with no one near but the safety

The way I look at it; if we were going to lose starters because they weren't happy, it would have happened as soon as the spring game was over, or before. The ones we are losing now are leaving after they have the one on one with the coaches. My guess is they didn't hear what they wanted to hear. We're probably not going to take a big hit as it relates to potential starters, but is does affect depth.
Bingo

Hey it’s honorable that you see potential in him. It would be nice if everyone could feel that way about all our players. The point however is you are taking a strong stance that is contrary to several head coaches and staffs that would indicate he is a deserving quarterback over other quarterbacks in the system. Many posters find that to be a slam against past and current quarterbacks.
One staff. Frost wasn’t going to play him with Martinez here. You know as much. Then, when he left, he then hires a WCO OC, and brings in a passer to run it. He wasn’t playing in that either. Not a fit for that. Mickey wasn’t uprooting things in the middle of the season either, and he was hurt with Rhule here. So, one staff. All I’m saying is, he’s a really good athlete, and with some time, who knows. Hard to determine what he is in one game.

One staff. Frost wasn’t going to play him with Martinez here. You know as much. Then, when he left, he then hires a WCO OC, and brings in a passer to run it. He wasn’t playing in that either. Not a fit for that. Mickey wasn’t uprooting things in the middle of the season either, and he was hurt with Rhule here. So, one staff. All I’m saying is, he’s a really good athlete, and with some time, who knows. Hard to determine what he is in one game.
No…..three staffs. Frost didn’t play him because he wasn’t good enough to beat out Martinez……period. Mickey didn’t NOT play him because of being in the middle of the season. After all he got rid of a defensive coordinator.

The bottom line is he’s moving on by his choice. Good luck to him but you are going to find very few posters to agree with you that he has been passed over by less talented quarterbacks.

Rhule seems to be a player’s coach, someone players want to play for … it may make guys like Haarberg think twice before leaving.
He most likely is for most all players. The key is in your response. “Want to play for”. It all changes if you aren’t playing.

It still bothers me big time that Whipple stuck with Purdy, when Smothers was clearly a better option!

Another transfer portal note ... we haven't heard anything (unless I missed it) about Chubba Purdy. He's at best 3rd or 4th string with Simms, CT and HH all having played well or entrenched in their spots.

Also leave preferred walk-on Jack Woche from IMG/Ole Miss, with his Rhule connection, flying up the depth chart!

We'll see on Purdy. I have no idea what potential the coaches all seem to see in him. We need to have someone to run the team if two QBs are injured, however, and I suspect he still looks capable of doing that to the coaches. But that really is a guess. Maybe they all expect genectics will show up at some point.

Another transfer portal note ... we haven't heard anything (unless I missed it) about Chubba Purdy. He's at best 3rd or 4th string with Simms, CT and HH all having played well or entrenched in their spots.

Also leave preferred walk-on Jack Woche from IMG/Ole Miss, with his Rhule connection, flying up the depth chart!
I kinda wonder if he sticks around at least for a little while. He's already transferred, so would have to sit out a year unless he could get a waiver. He's been in college for 3 years total I think, so I wonder if he thinks "I like Lincoln, I'll stick around 1 more year see if I can work my way up the chart. If not I'll have my degree by then and can go play someplace smaller as a grad transfer and not have to sit."

For those of us worried about the few we have leaving. Which I need to remind. We need them to leave.

The puffs have lost 51 to the portal leavimg only 19 scholarship.athletes. No D1 team has had so few scholarship athletes since the North Texas Bulls came off pribation. (They were not real it is a movie).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back