• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

Wynn hurts. Hope there is another player in the portal we get with experience. Clark looked like a player but there is a glut at DB. Sanford absolutely deserves a scholarship. Dude makes plays. Tagge looks pretty good too.

We are approaching the number needed.
Wynn doesn't hurt as much as people think. Surely it hurts our depth, but he was not spectacular. Jeudy has much more upside, but another addition in the portal wouldn't hurt.

Portal players right now are probably players that felt they could not start for the team they are leaving. Rarely (but sometimes) good players leave for other reasons after their Spring practices . Never hurts to look.

I think this staff will be about developing players.

Last edited:
Losing Wynn hurts because he provided depth, but I don't think it's a devastating loss because we still have our best DT talent. I don't know why he would have left if he thought he would be a starter.

Perhaps it's a good sign for our overall talent level that a high star recruit who wasn't good enough to play at a top SEC team also isn't good enough to start at Nebraska.

Last edited:

Hausmann was stolen from Nebraska unfortunately. He'll probably do well at Michigan, but at some point in his life, he will probably regret the move.
I thought from what I'd read he only came to Nebraska because of Frost, so with Frost leaving it only made sense for him to leave too.

I'm still really curious how White sets up his DLine. It was interesting that he was lining up dudes like Princewell and Lenhardt at the first string DE spots pretty regularly. If that role is going to be the more athletic 250-270 pound dudes moving forward, which is what he tended to use at Syracuse, then losing Wynn probably doesn't hurt that bad.

Or is he playing guys like that because we're thin in the spring and/or dealing with a limited installation of personnel packages, and he'd really like more heft up there against Big 10 competition? If that's the case than someone like Wynn is missed much more.

D2F2C907-1066-4688-9534-8549A0CFD988.jpeg

The way I look at it; if we were going to lose starters because they weren't happy, it would have happened as soon as the spring game was over, or before. The ones we are losing now are leaving after they have the one on one with the coaches. My guess is they didn't hear what they wanted to hear. We're probably not going to take a big hit as it relates to potential starters, but is does affect depth.

I think 2 staffs and many injuries and he still couldn't take the spot says plenty. It doesn't take an NFL GM to see that.
2 staffs? The first staff never gave him a chance because Frost was married to Martinez. The second staff hasn’t even seen him yet because he is injured. Again, I’m his limited time on the field, he did some good things. Imagine if he ever could have just played? Is he the only guy that doesn’t get better with playing time? Nah, not buying that nonsense.

I'm still really curious how White sets up his DLine. It was interesting that he was lining up dudes like Princewell and Lenhardt at the first string DE spots pretty regularly. If that role is going to be the more athletic 250-270 pound dudes moving forward, which is what he tended to use at Syracuse, then losing Wynn probably doesn't hurt that bad.

Or is he playing guys like that because we're thin in the spring and/or dealing with a limited installation of personnel packages, and he'd really like more heft up there against Big 10 competition? If that's the case than someone like Wynn is missed much more.
It is my understanding of the 3-3-5 that the 3 DLs are intended to eat up as many blockers as possible. The ends at Syracuse were 250-270 lbs because that is all they had, but ideally those guys should be closer to 300 lbs. There are benefits to those guy being 250-270 but they are a lot easier to block with one lineman. The 3-3-5 is most effective when the linebackers are free to make plays, which is harder to do with an OL getting to the 2nd level.

I think Ty Robinson is the ideal DE in a 3-3-5.

2 staffs? The first staff never gave him a chance because Frost was married to Martinez. The second staff hasn’t even seen him yet because he is injured. Again, I’m his limited time on the field, he did some good things. Imagine if he ever could have just played? Is he the only guy that doesn’t get better with playing time? Nah, not buying that nonsense.
You sound like you're an NFL game.

I'm sure both staffs (3 if you count MJ) passed on him for non-talent reasons.

Maybe worth remembering that a name entering the portal is not 100% the same as a player leaving. Sometimes they look and then decide to stay. No different than commits who decommit. Nothing is done until it is done. Most comments about the potential departures have been quite civil, but just something to think about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back