• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

I just read the Hail Varsity article about Husker coaches being linked to posdible incoming additions from the portal. According to HV reporter Brady Oltmans, "at the conclusion of the spring game, Nebraska's scholarship count stood at 98."

With Torres, Smothers and Victor Jones entering the portal, there's now 95 players on the roster. Oltman also wrote that "Nebraska needs to be down to 85 scholarshipx to meet NCAA limits."

Do we actually know all 95 players on the roster are currently on scholarship? (I didn't think that was possible even during the offseason.) Secondly, is there an NCAA rule on overall roster size? I'm pretty sure there's a limit on the number of players who can be on the "travel roster" but what about home games? In the old days under Osborne, the Huskers used to dress every healthy player for a home game.

I've bern under the impression that while the Huskers can only have 85 players on scholarship, because of walkons and NIL, Nebraska could have as big of a roster as the coaches want.
I believe, based on going through the spring roster, that the 98-95 number assumes all incoming freshmen matriculate :Lol: (got to use that word! :Lol: ) which is not a foregone conclusion. I have 21 incoming that did not have numbers for the Spring game (of 28 signees); meaning 7 early enrollees.

The question will remain is if all of them show up and if there are any casualties. I haven't seen if any had academic qualification issues, yet to be met, for example.

Last edited:

I just read the Hail Varsity article about Husker coaches being linked to posdible incoming additions from the portal. According to HV reporter Brady Oltmans, "at the conclusion of the spring game, Nebraska's scholarship count stood at 98."

With Torres, Smothers and Victor Jones entering the portal, there's now 95 players on the roster. Oltman also wrote that "Nebraska needs to be down to 85 scholarshipx to meet NCAA limits."

Do we actually know all 95 players on the roster are currently on scholarship? (I didn't think that was possible even during the offseason.) Secondly, is there an NCAA rule on overall roster size? I'm pretty sure there's a limit on the number of players who can be on the "travel roster" but what about home games? In the old days under Osborne, the Huskers used to dress every healthy player for a home game.

I've bern under the impression that while the Huskers can only have 85 players on scholarship, because of walkons and NIL, Nebraska could have as big of a roster as the coaches want.

The rule is simply that you have to be at the 85 limit at the start of fall camp. So, it is completely allowed (and actually smart) to have a large roster in the Spring.

Yes and no. I believe the rule is that only 85 can be on scholarship at any given time. Just because we had 98 scholarships allotted for the 2023-24 season, we only had 77 on campus at the time of spring. We have 21 incoming freshmen that have not arrived yet, but we'll have to find room for them before fall camp. I wouldn't be surprised if we had some walk-ons that were on semester scholarship throughout the spring practices.

Yes and no. I believe the rule is that only 85 can be on scholarship at any given time. Just because we had 98 scholarships allotted for the 2023-24 season, we only had 77 on campus at the time of spring. We have 21 incoming freshmen that have not arrived yet, but we'll have to find room for them before fall camp. I wouldn't be surprised if we had some walk-ons that were on semester scholarship throughout the spring practices.
I've have likewise heard that the number to be hit is later on. One other point while the higher number includes incoming, yet to enroll Freshmen, it does not include outgoing seniors/transfers. So we might have 95 on right now; but I am going with @WeNeedMorePower as the issue has been framed as a "down the road" problem, and not an immediate.

An interesting point is there are at least two walk-ons that are likely worthy of scholarships that are not in my numbers. Yeah, maybe they won't transfer, but you need to reward people who contribute to continue to attract walk-ons.

I've have likewise heard that the number to be hit is later on. One other point while the higher number includes incoming, yet to enroll Freshmen, it does not include outgoing seniors/transfers. So we might have 95 on right now; but I am going with @WeNeedMorePower as the issue has been framed as a "down the road" problem, and not an immediate.

An interesting point is there are at least two walk-ons that are likely worthy of scholarships that are not in my numbers. Yeah, maybe they won't transfer, but you need to reward people who contribute to continue to attract walk-ons.
I'm thinking Nate Boerkircher (I'm guessing Boerkircher was on semester scholarship this spring, he was referred to as a scholarship player during the spring game broadcast) and John Bullock will be on scholarship next season. With the possibility of Phalen Sanford, Ty Hahn, and maybe Grant Tagge if there's room.

I'm thinking Nate Boerkircher (I'm guessing Boerkircher was on semester scholarship this spring, he was referred to as a scholarship player during the spring game broadcast) and John Bullock will be on scholarship next season. With the possibility of Phalen Sanford, Ty Hahn, and maybe Grant Tagge if there's room.
NB could have been on Spring Scholarship as you mentioned. He was not in my 98 number; and I think he is not in anyone elses. Yes, he is numero uno in deserving one and Rhule has said as much.

I would put Sanford at number two as very deserving, all he has done is generally made plays when he has been on the field.

Ty Hahn is somewhere in the middle of the pack of WR, so he should be seeing the field unless some youngsters step it up.

Tagge has gotten some praise for his special teams work, so nice to reward.

There may be a few other, too.

I am more in favor of rewarding walk-ons who contribute than try to chase every last guy in the portal. Walk-ons have shown they want to be here, and if they contribute, they should be rewarded.

Last edited:

NB could have been on Spring Scholarship as you mentioned. He was not in my 98 number; and I think he is not in anyone elses. Yes, he is numero uno in deserving one and Rhule has said as much.

I would put Sanford at number two as very deserving, all he has done is generally made plays when he has been on the field.

Ty Hahn is somewhere in the middle of the pack of WR, so he should be seeing the field unless some youngsters step it up.

Tagge has gotten some praise for his special teams work, so nice to reward.

There may be a few other, too.

I am more in favor of rewarding walk-ons who contribute than try to chase every last guy in the portal. Walk-ons have shown they want to be here, and if they contribute, they should be rewarded.
No, he wasn't included in my 98 either. I usually don't include any of the one semester scholarship guys.

I'd rank in order (my opinion obviously) of deserving walk-ons:

Boerkircher - could very well be starting next year.
Bullock - went with the top unit on defense parts of spring with Reimer and Henrich out.
Sanford - special team standout, was on scholarship in 2021.
Hahn - special teams possible WR rotation - was promised by Frost to be on scholarship his final three years - not sure Rhule will honor that though.
Tagge - special team guy that hasn't redshirted for a reason.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back