• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

Everyone? Nah, there are plenty of folks who agree with me. Never said I knew more than anyone, either. Now you are skewing things. I don’t understand how any person outside the program can determine that Smothers sucks. Frost wasn’t playing him because of Martinez. Then, he hired a WCO coordinator and brought in a purer passer. Mickey wasn’t uprooting the offense in game 4 to change direction, so that’s complete BS. Rhule hasn’t seen him yet because he hasn’t been playing.

I guess his lone performance against Iowa in 2021, you’re saying he showed no promise? Seriously? He played a fine game in a difficult situation. Hell, his first game, after 4 coaches were fired and QB1 injured, against a really good defensive team, was damn good. One would normally think a guy could get better with experience, right? He is a terrific athlete. Lot to work with. Did Scott Frost get better after his lackluster start as NU’s QB? A lot better.

I don’t trust Frosts opinion on anything, he’s earned as much. There were more mistakes made in his tenure than any of us can count. So again, how the hell would anyone know, outside of Frosts opinion? And he wasn’t playing him over Martinez, period. I feel for the kid. Hope he kills it somewhere.
How would MJ or Rhule know plus the other coaches? I don't know, I guess you know better than them.

One game is all it takes to determine how good, or bad someone is? You should apply somewhere to be a scout and work your way up, you’ve got a helluva eye for talent.
In all fairness that one game scenario is what you are basing your talent analysis on and even then it’s arguable. Smoothers 2nd half performance against Iowa was pretty dismal after Iowa saw him for a single half and made adjustments.

Everyone? Nah, there are plenty of folks who agree with me. Never said I knew more than anyone, either. Now you are skewing things. I don’t understand how any person outside the program can determine that Smothers sucks. Frost wasn’t playing him because of Martinez. Then, he hired a WCO coordinator and brought in a purer passer. Mickey wasn’t uprooting the offense in game 4 to change direction, so that’s complete BS. Rhule hasn’t seen him yet because he hasn’t been playing.

I guess his lone performance against Iowa in 2021, you’re saying he showed no promise? Seriously? He played a fine game in a difficult situation. Hell, his first game, after 4 coaches were fired and QB1 injured, against a really good defensive team, was damn good. One would normally think a guy could get better with experience, right? He is a terrific athlete. Lot to work with. Did Scott Frost get better after his lackluster start as NU’s QB? A lot better.

I don’t trust Frosts opinion on anything, he’s earned as much. There were more mistakes made in his tenure than any of us can count. So again, how the hell would anyone know, outside of Frosts opinion? And he wasn’t playing him over Martinez, period. I feel for the kid. Hope he kills it somewhere.
If NU was going to run the triple-option again . . . Smothers would have been more likely to be in the mix. But we weren't and we aren't. He's a great kid with plenty of guts and speed. But his arm is only slightly-better-then-McCaffrey-level and that's not going to cut it with Frost's offense, or Whip's offense or what Rhule/Satterfield want to run--or most P5 schools. He could burn you on the odd play-action pass or maybe get a harder throw in here and there (like we saw against Iowa) , but he wasn't someone you feared as a passer even remotely.

I wish the kid luck, but he's got a ceiling no matter how much someone wants it to be higher. Rhule and Satterfield almost certainly saw the same film and had the same reaction--that arm can't run our offense the way we need it to. Haarberg's just as good a runner and is bigger and has a big arm--struggles with accuracy from what we've seen but you can try to teach that better than trying to turn a limited arm into a strong one. You can either rip it or you can't by the time you're at college. Smothers will probably need to either step down a level or find a school with an option-centric offense to be a starter.

One game is all it takes to determine how good, or bad someone is? You should apply somewhere to be a scout and work your way up, you’ve got a helluva eye for talent.
Ya, some people are still convinced that husker baseball is a juggernaut and should not be questioned…. Clear sailing to the tournament :Banghead::Banghead::Banghead:

One game is enough to know more than 3 head coaches and the assistants? You realize you're making the same mistake you're accusing others of making, right?
No, I’m not. I haven’t seen enough of him to determine if he sucks or not. The itty bitty tiny fraction of what I have seen, I loved. Simple as that. Would have liked to have seen him get a better chance, opportunity, especially given what the starter put forth in 2 years in front of him. Maybe he would kill it, or, maybe he does suck, but the equivalent of probably 7-8 qtrs of football is hardly enough time for you, me, or anyone outside the team, to determine what he is, or could be, or not. Did he suck in his one real opportunity? Not even close.

In all fairness that one game scenario is what you are basing your talent analysis on and even then it’s arguable. Smoothers 2nd half performance against Iowa was pretty dismal after Iowa saw him for a single half and made adjustments.
Not basing anything on that. As I’ve maintained, I would have liked to have seen more of him to determine more. I mean, my Lord, Scott Frost was a trash QB after Arizona State, remember? Folks wanted to throw him to the curb, remember? He sucks is what many said. People can’t get better? Smothers played in a very tough situation, his first game. It wasn’t Southwestern Tech he was playing. He played a real team, with a tough defense. Played fairly well for his first real action. Definitely made some mistakes, but who the hell doesn’t? The athlete in him gives him a solid chance. He’s a fast, athletic kid, that has/had potential. I wish him well.

Has anyone put together a summary of Nebraska transfer-outs who have gone on to do great things for another team? Wandale comes to mind as a bad loss for Nebraska. Gebbia comes to mind, but even though Ohio State picked him up, he did not prove to be outstanding for the Beavers. Another couple of players went to the Beavs and had significant playing time, but I don't know that they were considered outstanding by any stretch. In my recollection, Nebraska has not suffered tremendously from the portal departures, but I have a terrible rememory.

If NU was going to run the triple-option again . . . Smothers would have been more likely to be in the mix. But we weren't and we aren't. He's a great kid with plenty of guts and speed. But his arm is only slightly-better-then-McCaffrey-level and that's not going to cut it with Frost's offense, or Whip's offense or what Rhule/Satterfield want to run--or most P5 schools. He could burn you on the odd play-action pass or maybe get a harder throw in here and there (like we saw against Iowa) , but he wasn't someone you feared as a passer even remotely.

I wish the kid luck, but he's got a ceiling no matter how much someone wants it to be higher. Rhule and Satterfield almost certainly saw the same film and had the same reaction--that arm can't run our offense the way we need it to. Haarberg's just as good a runner and is bigger and has a big arm--struggles with accuracy from what we've seen but you can try to teach that better than trying to turn a limited arm into a strong one. You can either rip it or you can't by the time you're at college. Smothers will probably need to either step down a level or find a school with an option-centric offense to be a starter.
We aren’t talking about an NFL ceiling here. Who cares? This is college ball. He wasn’t chopped liver coming out of HS. He was brought here to run a spread offense, not the option. Everyone has a ceiling.

We aren’t talking about an NFL ceiling here. Who cares? This is college ball. He wasn’t chopped liver coming out of HS. He was brought here to run a spread offense, not the option. Everyone has a ceiling.
Gonna beat this dead horse for another 3 pages. I wish the kid all the best, smart and a good athlete, not a power 5 quality starter at QB, nothing wrong with that! Has been an unselfish teammate. Hope he finds a home that can utilize his talents.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back