• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"The creighton thing"

I have no problems with people who choose to be Creighton fans....they have a nice solid program and they tore it up this year - kudos to them !!!

I stand by my belief that what is good for Creighton will ultimately be bad for Nebraska and vice versa

Kids are kids - they are highly impressionable - they read, hear and heck even find the praises of the Creighton program here on the Husker board...

I contend that that is not in Nebraska's best interest.....I would like each and EVERY stud basketball player in the area consider only one school - that of course would be UNL - will the Nebraska coaches screw it up every now and then....I would assume they are human

But if the second coming of Magic Johnson is playing at Ashland High School today - and the kid wants to play near home because he wants his parents to enjoy his success....I want him to consider one and only one place to play - the best way to make that happen in Nebraska is to marginalize Creighton in the media and here - sorry if that doesn't fit in with THE GOOD LIFE motto

The idea that NU and CU are going to be going head to head for many Nebraska kids is a bit of a longshot. Nebraska just doesn't put that many out.

You can expand that to Iowa, SD, KS, etc. and then you're up against ISU, Iowa, KU, KSU, Missou, Wichita, etc...so whether CU is good or not NU is still going to have stiff competition for those players. NU and CU both need to recruit nationally to have a chance in their respective leagues. Kansas is a fairly small population and they've got all three programs in the dance and there's no reason that can't continue.

I think NU and CU being good programs...and even UNO getting good in the Summit...would be good for basketball in the state as a whole. It may take a while but the more attention basketball gets hopefully the more kids will take to basketball at an early age. Hell, with the dangers of football getting more and more attention maybe parents will push kids toward basketball.

I think NU and CU being good programs...and even UNO getting good in the Summit...would be good for basketball in the state as a whole. It may take a while but the more attention basketball gets hopefully the more kids will take to basketball at an early age. Hell, with the dangers of football getting more and more attention maybe parents will push kids toward basketball.

If both Nebraska and Creighton could both be consistent top 25 programs, I think it would help both in terms of recruiting. Two recognizable conferences and a high-profile in state rival would be an attractive sell.

The best year in Creightons history was the year they won the NIT, which was the de facto championship tournament before the NCAA superseded them.

Creightons has been the basketball school in Nebraska for longer than any of us can remember.

If both Nebraska and Creighton could both be consistent top 25 programs, I think it would help both in terms of recruiting. Two recognizable conferences and a high-profile in state rival would be an attractive sell.

34,000 people attending basketball games on the same night, 50 miles apart is pretty cool as well...both of which would be on national TV. That can't be a bad thing!

The best year in Creightons history was the year they won the NIT, which was the de facto championship tournament before the NCAA superseded them.

Creightons has been the basketball school in Nebraska for longer than any of us can remember.

I don't believe CU ever won an NIT. They made some "sweet 16s" in the years before the NCAA tourney was expanded beyond 32 teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creighton_Bluejays_men's_basketball

CU hasn't had a ton of tourney success. Obviously, this team wants to change that. Like with anything else...the more you give yourself a chance the more likely you are to break through. 1 sweet 16 here or there for a program can be chalked up to luck as much as greatness...the tourney can be an unforgiving entity when you are talking about a 1 and done deal.

The idea that NU and CU are going to be going head to head for many Nebraska kids is a bit of a longshot. Nebraska just doesn't put that many out.

You can expand that to Iowa, SD, KS, etc. and then you're up against ISU, Iowa, KU, KSU, Missou, Wichita, etc...so whether CU is good or not NU is still going to have stiff competition for those players. NU and CU both need to recruit nationally to have a chance in their respective leagues. Kansas is a fairly small population and they've got all three programs in the dance and there's no reason that can't continue.

That is correct.

I happen to have season basketball tickets to both Creighton and Nebraska. And I love cheering for both teams, although I must admit I get to more of the Creighton games since I live in Omaha than I do Nebraska games.

But whenever I hear someone say that I can't be a fan of both Creighton and Nebraska, I just tell them I have two children. Which one should I love? :facepalm:

That is correct.

I happen to have season basketball tickets to both Creighton and Nebraska. And I love cheering for both teams, although I must admit I get to more of the Creighton games since I live in Omaha than I do Nebraska games.

But whenever I hear someone say that I can't be a fan of both Creighton and Nebraska, I just tell them I have two children. Which one should I love? :facepalm:

I was wondering when you'd chime in. :)

You mention getting to more CU games because you live in Omaha. Chatelain said a couple weeks ago that NU's success could affect CU's attendance at some point...something to that effect. Of course, he's entirely wrong.

1. NU sold out all of its games...so MORE people cannot go to games in Lincoln than already do.

2. Despite the above CU still averaged north of 17,000 this year. Granted, that will probably tail off a smidge with DM graduating but not much...they were drawing big numbers before DM...even when they were stinking at a CBI level.

3. Basketball is a different animal. It's not the "event" that football is. People don't plan whole weekends around it. At least half the games are during the week...so people hurry home, change, grab the kids and get to the game. A 2+ hour round trip isn't something a lot of people want to do in the winter on a Wednesday night. In other words basketball is a very local draw...not entirely but largely.

Oh...if anyone wants to find something NU fans and CU fans can agree on it's Dirk Chatelain. CU message board types hate his guts. And they can't stand the OWH to a large degree. So there...common ground. :)

I have no problems with people who choose to be Creighton fans....they have a nice solid program and they tore it up this year - kudos to them !!!

I stand by my belief that what is good for Creighton will ultimately be bad for Nebraska and vice versa

Kids are kids - they are highly impressionable - they read, hear and heck even find the praises of the Creighton program here on the Husker board...

I contend that that is not in Nebraska's best interest.....I would like each and EVERY stud basketball player in the area consider only one school - that of course would be UNL - will the Nebraska coaches screw it up every now and then....I would assume they are human

But if the second coming of Magic Johnson is playing at Ashland High School today - and the kid wants to play near home because he wants his parents to enjoy his success....I want him to consider one and only one place to play - the best way to make that happen in Nebraska is to marginalize Creighton in the media and here - sorry if that doesn't fit in with THE GOOD LIFE motto

:thumbsup:

OMG ....so much THIS !!!

I would argue that you can NOT be a fan of both teams !! What is good for Creighton in basketball is automatically bad for Nebraska and vice versa.

One simple example.....Joe Hotshot basketball senior from Neligh - best thing since Dr Naismith came along - is choosing his college team.....where do YOU want him to go?

I want him to go to NEBRASKA....

creighton should NOT even be in the conversation....

If YOU don't care where the kid goes, well then are you a Nebraska fan? or a NEBRASKA fan?

I draw on decades of living in Wisconsin....it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a fan of wisconsin and Marquette....you decide when you are born !!!

If you notice, every time he spelled any noun pertaining to CU, all were in small caps! :lol: I do that, when I don't care for the team. ;)

I am a Nabraska fan through-and-through, but I like to see Creighton do well. One of the things I consider is how many Nebraska kids the programs have on their rosters. There was a period a number of years ago where Creighton did a very good job of recruiting in-state players, and Nebraska almost completely ignored them. During that time I can't say that I was unhappy when Creighton did better than Nebraska.

Currently, Nebraska has 3 in-state players and Creighton has only one. So, advantage Nebraska. But the baseball rosters are equal...11 in-state players each.

Last edited:
I would think if you are not a Husker fan and had to live in Nebraska, the Huskers would be an easy team to learn to hate. The state is so obsessed with the football team that it would get old to hear about them all of the time to the extent that it is covered. I was in southern Arizona when the Arizona Wildcats built their basketball program under Lute Olson and even those fans without any historical backing at all became unbearable to be around during basketball season. The Huskers would be even worse for an outsider.

Don't even get me started on the Longwhorns down here.

My take is that it is a good thing to have both teams be good, but I am not going to go out of my way to root for Creighton. I would love for this to be a real rivalry. That isn't going to happen if everyone is hugging and patting each other on the butt after successes and consoling each other after defeats.

I can respect a rival's success, but I don't have to cheer for it. I didn't cheer for Oklahoma, but I respected them like heck. I feel the same way about Creighton and only hope that Nebraska continues to raise its level of play to that of Creighton and keep going.

As the great TO said, a rivalry only develops after you start winning and losing games that matter. The NCAA gave us that opportunity here, but both teams have to win a game first. I think that 2nd round match up would be a huge boost to basketball in Nebraska, and I am a huge fan of that.

Douchy CU fans didn't take long to start talking smack at the bar the day of the game. I don't get why 'fans' have to be that way. I do love the cowl neck blue sweaters and loafers being worn hahaha

Douchy CU fans didn't take long to start talking smack at the bar the day of the game. I don't get why 'fans' have to be that way. I do love the cowl neck blue sweaters and loafers being worn hahaha

And I heard NU fans being morons at the bar today. Fans are like that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back