• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"The creighton thing"

Stiehmroller 1915

Recruit
2 Year Member
First of all, I'd like to congratulate the creighton blue jays on having an outstanding season and I hope they have a great run in the NCAA's. Now with that out of the way, I'd like to state that I have never fully understood the attraction of creighton athletics. I have always respected Bob Gibson and Bob Boozer but other than that; I have nothing. Maybe my adverse feelings towards creighton athletic teams was established a few years ago when I was to meet a friend at a bar in the Leavenworth vicinity. Little did I know that I was entering a bar full of Bluejay fans wearing a simple Nebraska red sweater during some bracket buster tournament game. Huge mistake- I felt like I was in Boulder CO or Columbia MO and NOT NEBRASKA!! Needless to say, I finished my beverage and left with a lot of mixed feelings about the whole "Creighton thing".

To make things obvious, NEBRASKA IS NEBRASKA and creighton is creighton, what that means is that UNL is THE STATE school and creighton is a fine private school in Omaha. While a signature win for UNL athletics is a direct reflection of pride and elation for the ENTIRE STATE, a victory or loss by our Cornhusker teams is felt and shared STATEWIDE. On the other hand a signature win by our blue jay brethren is "nice", kind of like when your neighbor's kid makes it to state in band or speech-" It's "nice" to see Tracey make the all state drama squad"

While UNL football and volleyball teams have traditions comparable to Oklahoma, Alabama, Penn St.,USC...... creighton basketball tradition doesn't mirror Kansas, Duke, UCLA,NC......

Anyway, I hope that I didn't ruffle the feathers of blue jay nation too bad and I do wish the 'jays the best. Maybe if creighton makes the final four, I can find a 'jay fan in "outstate" Nebraska and buy him an appletini:rolleyes:

That's the way it is March 16,2014

During my years growing up in Nebraska, I did find a larger percentage of Creighton fans that despised (maybe that's a bit too harsh, but somewhat true) the Huskers than Nebraska fans that despised the Bluejays.

Personally, having grown up in Lincoln and graduated from UNL, my allegiance has always been with Nebraska. Many years ago, I didn't care much for Creighton, but didn't hate them either. But since I moved away from Nebraska (21 years ago), my admiration for the Jays has grown. Not ever to the level of Nebraska, but enough that I definitely always root for Creighton -- so long as they aren't playing my Huskers. I do have pride in all things that represent the state of Nebraska.

Back to the idea of Creighton fans who hate the Huskers... I can only grasp that if those fans attended Creighton and are not Nebraska natives. Otherwise, it seems a bit silly.

During my years growing up in Nebraska, I did find a larger percentage of Creighton fans that despised (maybe that's a bit too harsh, but somewhat true) the Huskers than Nebraska fans that despised the Bluejays.

Personally, having grown up in Lincoln and graduated from UNL, my allegiance has always been with Nebraska. Many years ago, I didn't care much for Creighton, but didn't hate them either. But since I moved away from Nebraska (21 years ago), my admiration for the Jays has grown. Not ever to the level of Nebraska, but enough that I definitely always root for Creighton -- so long as they aren't playing my Huskers. I do have pride in all things that represent the state of Nebraska.

Back to the idea of Creighton fans who hate the Huskers... I can only grasp that if those fans attended Creighton and are not Nebraska natives. Otherwise, it seems a bit silly.

I would think if you are not a Husker fan and had to live in Nebraska, the Huskers would be an easy team to learn to hate. The state is so obsessed with the football team that it would get old to hear about them all of the time to the extent that it is covered. I was in southern Arizona when the Arizona Wildcats built their basketball program under Lute Olson and even those fans without any historical backing at all became unbearable to be around during basketball season. The Huskers would be even worse for an outsider.

I would think if you are not a Husker fan and had to live in Nebraska, the Huskers would be an easy team to learn to hate. The state is so obsessed with the football team that it would get old to hear about them all of the time to the extent that it is covered. I was in southern Arizona when the Arizona Wildcats built their basketball program under Lute Olson and even those fans without any historical backing at all became unbearable to be around during basketball season. The Huskers would be even worse for an outsider.

No doubt.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate the creighton blue jays on having an outstanding season and I hope they have a great run in the NCAA's. Now with that out of the way, I'd like to state that I have never fully understood the attraction of creighton athletics. I have always respected Bob Gibson and Bob Boozer but other than that; I have nothing. Maybe my adverse feelings towards creighton athletic teams was established a few years ago when I was to meet a friend at a bar in the Leavenworth vicinity. Little did I know that I was entering a bar full of Bluejay fans wearing a simple Nebraska red sweater during some bracket buster tournament game. Huge mistake- I felt like I was in Boulder CO or Columbia MO and NOT NEBRASKA!! Needless to say, I finished my beverage and left with a lot of mixed feelings about the whole "Creighton thing".

To make things obvious, NEBRASKA IS NEBRASKA and creighton is creighton, what that means is that UNL is THE STATE school and creighton is a fine private school in Omaha. While a signature win for UNL athletics is a direct reflection of pride and elation for the ENTIRE STATE, a victory or loss by our Cornhusker teams is felt and shared STATEWIDE. On the other hand a signature win by our blue jay brethren is "nice", kind of like when your neighbor's kid makes it to state in band or speech-" It's "nice" to see Tracey make the all state drama squad"

While UNL football and volleyball teams have traditions comparable to Oklahoma, Alabama, Penn St.,USC...... creighton basketball tradition doesn't mirror Kansas, Duke, UCLA,NC......

Anyway, I hope that I didn't ruffle the feathers of blue jay nation too bad and I do wish the 'jays the best. Maybe if creighton makes the final four, I can find a 'jay fan in "outstate" Nebraska and buy him an appletini:rolleyes:

That's the way it is March 16,2014

OMG ....so much THIS !!!

I would argue that you can NOT be a fan of both teams !! What is good for Creighton in basketball is automatically bad for Nebraska and vice versa.

One simple example.....Joe Hotshot basketball senior from Neligh - best thing since Dr Naismith came along - is choosing his college team.....where do YOU want him to go?

I want him to go to NEBRASKA....

creighton should NOT even be in the conversation....

If YOU don't care where the kid goes, well then are you a Nebraska fan? or a NEBRASKA fan?

I draw on decades of living in Wisconsin....it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a fan of wisconsin and Marquette....you decide when you are born !!!

Last edited:
I would think the state as a whole identifies with the University of Nebraska more-so than Creighton.

I, myself, went to NU and am therefore much more interested in the athletics, politics, etc of NU than CU. I have never really stopped and given it much thought as to why I should like/dislike Creighton. They are both schools in our great state composed of mostly Nebraskans/Midwesterners. Obviously I root for NU in everything possible, but figure if we can't win something, then "Go Creighton!".

To each their own I guess.:2cents:

Growing up in Omaha there was some buzz for Creighton bball when they made the tournament and the following seems to have grown quite a bit over the years. Success will do that I suppose. I like Creighton and really enjoy attending the games. It is fun to watch big time college bball in a great venue at the Link. I have many friends who support both Creighton and Nebraska, and I think that is great. When they play I am all NU since I am an alum and always a Nebraska fan first. However, I don't think that should preclude anyone from also supporting another team, especially one in-state.

The problem I have is with some of the Creighton fans. Some are very wealthy and quite honestly very elitist about their support of the private school over the state U. Some look down on NU for that reason and are vocal about their elitism. This winter my girlfriend and I went to Aksarben theater to watch a movie and there also was a Creighton game watch party in one of the theaters. My GF was wearing her winter Husker coat and she was teased quite a bit by the Creighton fans while we were in the bar area trying to get a drink before the movie. They had taken over the bar area and didn't want to let us in to what they believed was their private section, it wasn't! The were persistent with their comments and it was really irritating. It's sad that people have to act that way over something as trivial as sports.

Creighton has always been that rich kids school in Omaha. Nice basketball program, but otherwise who really cares?

it's palpable.

There's quite a bit of that private school "you think you're better than me" vibe.

Being from Nebraska & a Husker, my second favorite ___ team is typically creighton, but I find it rare for vise-versa to be the case (Creighton fans rooting for NU).

I guess I've always chalked it up to the Omaha thing - being from rural nebraska, there are frequent reminder zingers for us uncultured hicks who live outside "the city".... which I still find hilarious, as I remember the stockyards like it was yesterday & consider us all Nebraskans.

Then again, perhaps it's just a Wine & cheese vs. Boonesfarm & cheese whiz thing. :corn2:

Last edited:
Does OU like OSU? Does iowa like ISU?

No. But it is a bit different.

There are Creighton fans, who, come autumn, are dawning their Husker gear. Absolutely love the football team. But come winter, they flip the switch and turn up their noses on the Husker basketball team. I can understand them not caring... being indifferent -- but some do create quite an anti-Husker attitude against the basketball team -- yet love the Husker football team. This isn't always the case (i.e bilsker is a fan of both basketball teams, but has a Creighton preference)...but it certainly does happen.

Last edited:

I like Creighton Soccer, other than that I could really care less about them, not in a negative way more just a 'meh' (with a shoulder shrug)

I'll chime in here as a fan of both. I've been a Creighton fan since I was a kid and the days of Bob Harstad, Chad Gallagher, Todd Eisner and the like. I'm also a big Husker fan, but will admit I've never felt the same about Husker hoops. I've been to several Mo Valley tournaments with hard core Creighton-ites, am friends with a number of hard core Creighton-ites.

My observations

1. Creighton draws a lot of students from outside Nebraska and thus have no allegiance to Nebraska football. In fact, they may have grown up hating Husker sports and the football dominance.

2. Some Creighton fans have suffered badly from sort of a "Napoleon complex" that stems from the previous mid-major label. No matter how much success they have traditionally had, they wore the mid-major label like a scarlet letter. Some fans would get so bent out of shape with slights of Creighton from anyone, but particularly if it came internally from Husker-heads.

3. There is a sort of elitism that comes out. Creighton is a private school that carries with it some prestige. Creighton students are often from well-to-do urban families and view UNL as the state school where the idiot masses go when they can't go anywhere else. There is a level of snobbery and a feeling that Husker fans are just stupid rednecks akin to Alabama fans or the like.

That being said, I know a heck of a lot of people, including myself, that support both schools. I would guess that most of those people grew up in Omaha. Creighton has been a popular ticket and has put out a great basketball product for most of my adult life (except the Rick Johnson years). A lot of us would go to games at the civic auditorium. Frankly, it is easy to get behind a consistent winner.

I have a long post I'll make later.

But given the lovely little bracket that the clowns at the NCAA put together I really hope that NU fans...and CU fans alike...get a chance to hear greg McDermott's comments at CU's viewing party. Essentially he said it's GOOD for basketball in NE to have to successful programs, that he's happy for NU and Coach Miles "a good friend of mine", etc....and it was met with a healthy amount of applause. This is a scenario I did not want to see. There is 5% of every fan base that are complete jerks...and both sides will be out in force this week on the radio shows. As a bloody "jaysker" I really don't want to hear all the stupidity that's about to ensue. Oh well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back