• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"The creighton thing"

Does every program who loses their best player ever fall off the map?

Creighton has always had a decent program but they have never gotten the national pub they got this year due to McDermott. I didn't say they will fall off the map; I am saying this was a very special year and will be difficult to replicate. Do I think Creighton will be a national basketball power? No.

Does every program who loses their best player ever fall off the map?

Creighton has always had a decent program but they have never gotten the national pub they got this year due to McDermott. I didn't say they will fall off the map; I am saying this was a very special year and will be difficult to replicate. Do I think Creighton will be a national basketball power? No.

Define national basketball power. Are they going to win national titles? If I had to guess I'd say they'll never win one in my lifetime. Could they match and exceed what Gonzaga has done? Yes. Could they be a villanova? Yes. Will they be a Duke, UNC, Kentucky, MSU? No.

Has Creighton ever been ranked in the top 10 before this year? I guess I was thinking as a national power you would likely win a title. That is why I don't think they are or will be a national power. I hope they get to play NU in the second round.

Has Creighton ever been ranked in the top 10 before this year? I guess I was thinking as a national power you would likely win a title. That is why I don't think they are or will be a national power. I hope they get to play NU in the second round.

They cracked the top 10 briefly in korver's sr. year.

I guess there are some Husker elitist attitudes as well. :Biggrin:

Again, so long as they aren't playing each other -- I say: Go Big Red and Go Jays (in that order).

No. But it is a bit different.

There are Creighton fans, who, come autumn, are dawning their Husker gear. Absolutely love the football team. But come winter, they flip the switch and turn up their noses on the Husker basketball team. I can understand them not caring... being indifferent -- but some do create quite an anti-Husker attitude against the basketball team -- yet love the Husker football team. This isn't always the case (i.e bilsker is a fan of both basketball teams, but has a Creighton preference)...but it certainly does happen.

Saw a funny tweet last night "Creighton fans are headed back to San Antonio for the first time since the 2005 Alamo Bowl"

So this is Creighton's best year in program history, correct? I really did want them to win the Big East title; I think it was a golden opportunity missed.

unless you go back a way. And it is the highest rank...not necessarily best year. Being in the big east and being able to play more good teams helps with perception...and thus ranking. Doesn't mean they won't be back...they have 2 top 100 recruits signed for next year and had a nice class last yearThat's the beauty of college basketball...turnover.

Anyone else have Nebraska going to the elite 8. Don't think they can beat Arizona. :Biggrin::huskerflag:

I have a strong feeling most if not all Creighton fans are rooting for NU on Friday... Baylor is a tough draw.

OMG ....so much THIS !!!

I would argue that you can NOT be a fan of both teams !! What is good for Creighton in basketball is automatically bad for Nebraska and vice versa.

One simple example.....Joe Hotshot basketball senior from Neligh - best thing since Dr Naismith came along - is choosing his college team.....where do YOU want him to go?

I want him to go to NEBRASKA....

creighton should NOT even be in the conversation....

If YOU don't care where the kid goes, well then are you a Nebraska fan? or a NEBRASKA fan?

I draw on decades of living in Wisconsin....it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a fan of wisconsin and Marquette....you decide when you are born !!!

See this is just weird to me as a fan of basketball. I grew up a fan of the Huskers mostly because my dad is in the Hall of Fame there. It got me a chance to meet some of the coaches, staff, trainers, etc., but after going to Cip's camps a few years, I didn't really like how they played all that much. Like a lot of guys, I'd go to the old coliseum on Saturdays and play with guys like Jerry Fort, Carl McPipe, Brian Banks, then through the years also playing with Greg Downing and Terry Smith, so I knew how good some of those guys were. But again, being around some of the players who I played summer leagues and tournaments with, and watching the program during the season, I also knew I wasn't ever going to be a Moe Iba fan. It's hard to like a program when you don't like what you see on the court, much less sitting on the sideline as head coach. I mean what was there to really like about them during those years? We had instate talent that hardly got a sniff of interest. Chuck Anderson goes to SMU, Derek Sailors goes to New Mexico State, Leo Crawford goes...well, he should have gone somewhere good, but books got in the way. Ron Kellogg goes to Kansas. Kerry Trotter Goes to Margette and Vic Lazaretti goes to Pepperdine. Alex Stivrens goes to Colorado. And who do the Huskers target? Dave McFarland and Mike Martz, and couple of really nice guys, but not remotely what most considered stud ballers. It's hard to want your instate hotshot to go there when they didn't really care if they got them or not.

During many of those years you had Rick Apke making Creighton entertaining as heck to watch, and they had records to be proud of. Same with Baroni and Altman. If you like basketball, I mean really enjoy it and are a fan of the game, it's hard not to appreciate what the Jays were doing more than what the Huskers were. Heck, my dad was still writing checks to Nebraska, but we'd slip up to Omaha to watch Creighton almost as often as we'd see a Husker game. It was simply better basketball.

I've been a fan of both programs for years, and as long as they put good products on the floor (not like Reed's), I'll continue to support and be a fan of both. I loved Kearney basketball for most of my life, but the current coach (not Kropp) was an idiot in how he was trying to build a team so I personally didn't spend much time following them. Apparently they are changing some of their mistakes, so I'm back to keeping track of them. Why? Because I'm a fan of the sport first, and a fan of the program second. If you are a fan of a program first, then I'd suggest you don't question how someone can like another program as well, because it's because they are usually fans of the sport.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back