• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"The creighton thing"

One observation from attending both games today: the vast majority of Creighton fans did not show up until after the Nebraska game (or very late in the game).

I cannot say that I witnessed any disputes -- or admiration -- between the fan bases. They were every bit as separated as every other fan base in attendance today in San Antonio.

Number of fans for the day session:

1. Nebraska
2a. Baylor
2b. Creighton (maybe slightly more Baylor fans, but it was close)
4. Louisiana (Lafayette)
5a. North Carolina
5b. Iowa State (ISU and UNC fans were around, but a small group -- obviously, that will change this evening).

The Husker fans were definitely the largest contingent. And so far as tailgating goes -- both before and after the game -- they dominated. It was 80° today, so obviously they took advantage of that.

There were quite a lot of Nebraska license plates in the parking lot (obviously, both NU and Creighton fans). Talked to several people who made the drive down from Nebraska.

Last edited:

One observation from attending both games today: the vast majority of Creighton fans did not show up until after the Nebraska game (or very late in the game).

I cannot say that I witnessed any disputes -- or admiration -- between the fan bases. They were every bit as separated as every other fan base in attendance today in San Antonio.

Did CU have a decent turnout?

A lot of Baylor fans closely follow the women's team and they start tournament play tomorrow in Waco. Since the students didn't get the day off, most stayed in Waco to watch the game on big screens. Here's hoping they show up in force on Sunday.
The refs were horrible for both teams!! Congratulations Huskers on a great season!! Sic em.

Douchy CU fans didn't take long to start talking smack at the bar the day of the game. I don't get why 'fans' have to be that way. I do love the cowl neck blue sweaters and loafers being worn hahaha

I watched both games at DJ's dugout and it looked pretty evenly split between Husker fans and bluejay fans. No one cheered when Nebraska fell behind, but there were some cheers when Creighton was behind. "Douchy"?

And everyone was dressed pretty much the same way as far as I could tell, but I admit I didn't pay much attention to that.

I watched both games at DJ's dugout and it looked pretty evenly split between Husker fans and bluejay fans. No one cheered when Nebraska fell behind, but there were some cheers when Creighton was behind. "Douchy"?

And everyone was dressed pretty much the same way as far as I could tell, but I admit I didn't pay much attention to that.

Any "Nebraska sucks" comments or jokes about Miles and the program going on at DJ's? I was at Barrett's and that's what was being said. I was wearing blue so maybe had I been in Nebraska gear they wouldn't have been making those comments. Still, it's a little different than cheering for the opposing team. Of course NU had lost at that point so not much Husker fans could have said anyway :) I've definitely encountered NU fans that have been quite jealous of Creighton's success and hope for their demise. Not me, I'm a fan of both bball teams. I attend a few Creighton home games every year and honestly haven't been to a Husker bball game since my college years.

I've heard a lot of smack talk by Creighton fans against NU over the years, but it is the type of comments that is irritating. NU sucked at bball for a long time so that wasn't the point. What has annoyed me is that I have encountered a certain contingency of Creighton fans that have an heir of elitism and look down on NU as the inferior public school, which supersedes any typical fan "smack talk". With the guys today making comments about NU while dressed like they were waiting for a J. Crew photo shoot or polo match was just icing on the cake ;) It is reminiscent of certain Notre Dame and Stanford alums that I have conversed with about football, or CU fans' attitude when I lived in Colorado. We're the substandard public hick school to many of them. Some of these Creighton fans I reference are acquaintances of mine or friends of people with whom I've attended Creighton home games so it isn't just a casual observation; I've experienced it first hand. Obviously I know that type elitism is the exception and not the norm, it's just a position NU will never have in return. I don't doubt there are bad NU basketball fans, it just hasn't been my experience. Of course NU hasn't had the level of success Creighton has had recently, so if that continues it may become worse. I'll keep cheering for both teams regardless.

Personally I think it is fine to cheer for both teams, but you had better have favorite team 1A and 1B. This should not change from year to year. I think some of the frustration with Nebraska fans has to do with Nebraska not being good and suddenly Creighton fans are everyone since they have had more success. Of course with how Nebraska has not been good you have that percentage of Creighton fans who are quick to point out NU's deficiencies even though they are more than likely people with zero ties to the Creighton program and just cheering for the school with more success. The sad thing is Creighton has not really been very successful in basketball, better than Nebraska which has had even less success.

I believe this to be the best assessment of the situation. I agree with everything except Item 3. My niece went to Creighton and certainly is not from a "well to do" family. She is an intelligent young woman who earned a scholarship and is doing great things with her life.

I too support both team, however I am a realist and my bracket had NU losing in the first round, yes it is the first round (play in games don't count). I have CU meeting AZ in the Elite 8. I think they will beat Baylor today and slip by an over-confident Wisky. At any rate, it's great to be able to have these conversation after NU circling the drain for the last two decades. And to your point, I have always been somewhat apathetic about Nebrasketball. To me, basketball is like baseball...I could care less until it's "Go Time".

I'll chime in here as a fan of both. I've been a Creighton fan since I was a kid and the days of Bob Harstad, Chad Gallagher, Todd Eisner and the like. I'm also a big Husker fan, but will admit I've never felt the same about Husker hoops. I've been to several Mo Valley tournaments with hard core Creighton-ites, am friends with a number of hard core Creighton-ites.

My observations

1. Creighton draws a lot of students from outside Nebraska and thus have no allegiance to Nebraska football. In fact, they may have grown up hating Husker sports and the football dominance.

2. Some Creighton fans have suffered badly from sort of a "Napoleon complex" that stems from the previous mid-major label. No matter how much success they have traditionally had, they wore the mid-major label like a scarlet letter. Some fans would get so bent out of shape with slights of Creighton from anyone, but particularly if it came internally from Husker-heads.

3. There is a sort of elitism that comes out. Creighton is a private school that carries with it some prestige. Creighton students are often from well-to-do urban families and view UNL as the state school where the idiot masses go when they can't go anywhere else. There is a level of snobbery and a feeling that Husker fans are just stupid rednecks akin to Alabama fans or the like.

That being said, I know a heck of a lot of people, including myself, that support both schools. I would guess that most of those people grew up in Omaha. Creighton has been a popular ticket and has put out a great basketball product for most of my adult life (except the Rick Johnson years). A lot of us would go to games at the civic auditorium. Frankly, it is easy to get behind a consistent winner.

Who would've thought NU would play Baylor closer than Creighton? They looked awful. Terrible game for those seniors to end their college careers. I had Creighton losing the second round in my bracket but to NU. I thought Creighton would beat Baylor. My interest in this tourney has ended.

Douchy CU fans didn't take long to start talking smack at the bar the day of the game. I don't get why 'fans' have to be that way. I do love the cowl neck blue sweaters and loafers being worn hahaha
Best fans I met Friday....actually all the fans at the game were nice to each other and nice to talk real basketball with passionate fans. Seems like it is certain ppl that make ppl act like morons.....

Who would've thought NU would play Baylor closer than Creighton? They looked awful. Terrible game for those seniors to end their college careers. I had Creighton losing the second round in my bracket but to NU. I thought Creighton would beat Baylor. My interest in this tourney has ended.
Not a real fan, huh?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back