• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The 2024 portal season thread

NIL is a double-edged sword, you may end with a winner but how much is that going to cost you, I bet those who ponied up for Sims will be less likely to do that again or Decoldest Crawford they come in get an NIL don't even play and gone the next season. Then you have to compete with other bigger schools who have not had to deal with 20 years of less than mediocracy, it's a bidding war and it will be the downfall of NCAA football imo, I hope I am wrong, and just because others schools go all in does that make it a must for us? Look at Texas A&M as an example they had used NIL to get a top 25 recruiting class the last 3 years or so, and this year they had or were willing to pay Jimbo 75 million just to leave. How much of that NIL was worth it for A&M, I realize every situation is different, just providing a different perspective whether it's right or wrong only time will tell

Last edited:

NIL is a double-edged sword, you may end with a winner but how much is that going to cost you, I bet those who ponied up for Sims will be less likely to do that again or Decoldest Crawford they come in get an NIL don't even play and gone the next season. Then you have to compete with other bigger schools who have not had to deal with 20 years of less than mediocracy, it's a bidding war and it will be the downfall of NCAA football imo, I hope I am wrong, and just because others schools go all in does that make it a must for us?
I've pondered many of the same things. I do agree it is the downfall of amateur college athletics. Just not sure what the answer truly is.

I was also thinking about what Rhule said about not getting into bidding wars. While it gives me pause, I believe the message he is sending is that we are going to build from within with a heavy emphasis on recruiting and developing high school kids. It's his "process." And whether we agree with it or not, we will soon find out how effective it is because right now, he is going against the grain of where most teams are going with the portal and NIL.

I also wonder if he is taking this approach because our NIL situation isn't going as well as planned and therefore, don't have the money to throw around even if we wanted to.

Last edited:
I've pondered many of the same things. I do agree it is the downfall of amateur college athletics. Just not sure what the answer truly is.

I was also thinking about what Rhule said about not getting into bidding wars. While it gives me pause, I believe the message he is sending is that we are going to build from within with a heavy emphasis on recruiting and developing high school kids. It's his "process." And whether we agree with it or not, we will soon find out how effective it is because right now, he is going against the grain of where most teams are going with the portal and NIL.

I also wonder if he is taking this approach because our NIL situation isn't going as well as planned and therefore, don't have the money to throw around even if we wanted to.
You could also look at the other way too Next years success may be hugely dependent on if we can get a good QB and WR in the portal as well

You could also look at the other way too Next years success may be hugely dependent on if we can get a good QB and WR in the portal as well

Add perhaps an IOL and/or OT. We are really only a few players away from being competitive but the most key is a solid QB who can manage the game and not blow it for us. I’d love to get a QB who is the next Tommie Frazier but I want to be realistic and don’t think that is coming for year 2 of HCMR time at NU. We show we are capable of winning and competing for a couple years, then these kid will come.

NIL is a double-edged sword, you may end with a winner but how much is that going to cost you, I bet those who ponied up for Sims will be less likely to do that again or Decoldest Crawford they come in get an NIL don't even play and gone the next season. Then you have to compete with other bigger schools who have not had to deal with 20 years of less than mediocracy, it's a bidding war and it will be the downfall of NCAA football imo, I hope I am wrong, and just because others schools go all in does that make it a must for us? Look at Texas A&M as an example they had used NIL to get a top 25 recruiting class the last 3 years or so, and this year they had or were willing to pay Jimbo 75 million just to leave. How much of that NIL was worth it for A&M, I realize every situation is different, just providing a different perspective whether it's right or wrong only time will tell
Yep, its high dollar on both ends. If the monies there fine, but if you have to be selective...

Add perhaps an IOL and/or OT. We are really only a few players away from being competitive but the most key is a solid QB who can manage the game and not blow it for us. I’d love to get a QB who is the next Tommie Frazier but I want to be realistic and don’t think that is coming for year 2 of HCMR time at NU. We show we are capable of winning and competing for a couple years, then these kid will come.
We eliminate turnovers and have good qb play we can beat any team.

Bingo.

I don't like his NIL approach either. (See Rhule's comments on hoping there wouldn't be a "Harberg Hamburger.") Thankfully, Trev Alberts does get it. He's one of the ADs pushing for NCAA rules changes that would allow universities to be more directly involved with NIL. Alberts knows Nebraska could make serious gains using NIL. Hopefully he'll change Rhule's outlook.
TA knows the House case ramifications are eminent and that the big schools will be paying a settlement for back pay and very soon football players will be employees...and that will be about a $40-50M dollar hit to current revenues.

jesus-christ-kid.gif

TA knows the House case ramifications are eminent and that the big schools will be paying a settlement for back pay and very soon football players will be employees...and that will be about a $40-50M dollar hit to current revenues.
That's going to change everything. All the sudden NIL will change, and athletic budgets will be shrinking. Better build that south stadium while we can.

My only concern is that Rhule made it clear that he's not interested in getting in any bidding wars. We're going to make an offer, and if it's not good enough, so be it. Unfortunately, in the portal wars, we're going to miss out on a lot of top prospects with that mentality.
I don't think Rhule plans on building his program through the portal anyway. He's a developer. He'll add a piece here or there as needed, see the WR room, but I think he'd rather play young guys and get them experience at this stage. Anyone thinking this was going to be an overnight overhaul was mistaken. That's not Rhule's style.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back