• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Terry Joesph to A&M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If defense is going to be the strength of this years team I see no problem with bringing back Sanders to make that happen.

Not all of Bo's hires have been guys he's coached with. Beck, Kaczenski, Els, and Fisher never coached with Bo before being hired.

While they may not have coached together, as far as I can tell Kaz is the only one on that list without a prior connection to Bo. Beck is from Youngstown, maybe its a coincidence, I don't know. IIRC Els had come up and worked with Bo in the off-season when on Frank's staff at Ohio. Fisher was a buddy of one Bo's players when he coached for the patriots I believe. Someone probably has the name.

So technically speaking you're correct, but i think N2FL's point that Bo usually stays within his circle to make hires holds true.

For the record, I think Kaz, Beck, and Fish were great hires. Beck's promotion to OC is questionable, but I thought he was a great RBs coach and recruiter. I haven't been thrilled with Els' recruiting or Special Teams Unit, but he seems to have a done a decent job coaching up the LBs.

While they may not have coached together, as far as I can tell Kaz is the only one on that list without a prior connection to Bo. Beck is from Youngstown, maybe its a coincidence, I don't know. IIRC Els had come up and worked with Bo in the off-season when on Frank's staff at Ohio. Fisher was a buddy of one Bo's players when he coached for the patriots I believe. Someone probably has the name.

So technically speaking you're correct, but i think N2FL's point that Bo usually stays within his circle to make hires holds true.

For the record, I think Kaz, Beck, and Fish were great hires. Beck's promotion to OC is questionable, but I thought he was a great RBs coach and recruiter. I haven't been thrilled with Els' recruiting or Special Teams Unit, but he seems to have a done a decent job coaching up the LBs.

If N2FL had said, "Almost all of Bo's hires have been guys he has some connection with." I'd have posted something else (or not responded). That was not what he posted. News flash: Almost all coaches hire assistants to whom they have had some kind of previous connection. Sometimes the connection is obvious, sometimes it isn't.

If N2FL had said, "Almost all of Bo's hires have been guys he has some connection with." I'd have posted something else (or not responded). That was not what he posted. News flash: Almost all coaches hire assistants to whom they have had some kind of previous connection. Sometimes the connection is obvious, sometimes it isn't.

Ha ok. If your response to N2FL's post had that much to do with the exact wording, he actually said 'worked with,' not 'coached with.' I wasn't disagreeing with the exact technical language in your response or your assertion that he has hired guys without previous coaching relationships, just agreeing with N2FL's more general point of Bo's previous hiring history.

Either way, good or bad, Bo seems to hire a lot more guys with obvious connections. I'm guessing not too many big programs have hired 3 guys straight from the GA ranks in the last 6 years.

From my outside perspective, it would seem that a lot of the more established coaches make hires the way Frank hired Bo, called respected colleagues and asked for referrals. It would be my guess that this is how Bo hired Joseph and Kaz as well. There was a great article about Urban Meyer posted here a while back about how he hired his staff at OSU. He basically wanted guys from all different backgrounds and spent an entire year compiling names.

From my outside perspective, it would seem that a lot of the more established coaches make hires the way Frank hired Bo, called respected colleagues and asked for referrals. It would be my guess that this is how Bo hired Joseph and Kaz as well. There was a great article about Urban Meyer posted here a while back about how he hired his staff at OSU. He basically wanted guys from all different backgrounds and spent an entire year compiling names.

Yep and Urban put together the best staff in the B1G - hands down.

Lets look at Pelini's staff hires as Nebraska coach:

John Papuchis - knew him from LSU
Tim Beck - Youngstown boy
Ron Brown - worked with him in '03 at nebraska
Rich Fisher - knew him through mutual friend Bill Belichick
Barney Cotton - worked with him in '03 at nebraska
John Garrison - played at Nebraska in 2003 and was a GA
Rick Kaczenski - coached the same style of DL play at Iowa
Ross Els - coached under his brother Carl at Ohio
Terry Joseph - knew him from LSU
Vince Marrow - GA, but basically the TE coach (HS teammate)
Corey Raymond - knew him from LSU
Carl Pelini - duh
Mike Ekeler - brought from LSU, like Papuchis
Marvin Sanders - worked with him in '03 at nebraska
Shawn Watson - Tom Osborne "suggested" he be kept from previous staff
Ted Gilmore - see above

So out of 16 assistants, 10 ALL coached with Pelini previously. Of the other six, only Kaz seems to come without suggestion from his brother, mentor or Tom Osborne. I can totally see why people thought I was exaggerating :rolleyes:

So out of 16 assistants, 10 ALL coached with Pelini previously. Of the other six, only Kaz seems to come without suggestion from his brother, mentor or Tom Osborne. I can totally see why people thought I was exaggerating :rolleyes:

I believe most accused you of making a false assumption and stating it as fact. Which you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back