• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So what's wrong with our kicker?

We don't have a kicker, we have a bunch of guys trying out to be the kicker. Nothing much good is likely to come of this...recruiting a scholarship kicker is now imperative.

We don't have a kicker, we have a bunch of guys trying out to be the kicker. Nothing much good is likely to come of this...recruiting a scholarship kicker is now imperative.
Even if Pickering returns fully healthy? Hard to have two scholarship kickers. What they need to do is have a solid Alex Henery-esque walk-on sitting behind their scholarship kicker.

Now find a scholarship punter in addition to Pickering ... maybe ... but again isn't this where the walk-on program is supposed to help you?

Even if Pickering returns fully healthy? Hard to have two scholarship kickers. What they need to do is have a solid Alex Henery-esque walk-on sitting behind their scholarship kicker.

Now find a scholarship punter in addition to Pickering ... maybe ... but again isn't this where the walk-on program is supposed to help you?

Well they did this year and that guy got hurt too.

Pickering is only a sophomore and at this point he is closing in on using a redshirt. That could be leaving us a scholarship kicker for another 3 seasons already on the roster.

Well they did this year and that guy got hurt too.
This year might be that 1 in a thousand years where everything that could go wrong did ... but if you are referring to Jorgensen he doesn't even come close to the AH benchmark ... wasn't listed on the roster last year. He's not someone I'd list high on the reliability scale. Last year we had Frahm and McCashland on the roster as undergraduates, did they leave/not return.

Before Nebraska (Lincoln Southwest HS)
Jorgensen provided Lincoln Southwest High School with a dependable kicking threat. Jorgensen earned first-team Super-State honors from the Lincoln Journal Star and second-team All-Nebraska accolades from the Omaha World-Herald for his performance in 2018. Jorgensen connected on 7-of-11 field goals and all 29 of his PAT attempts to help Coach Andrew Sherman’s Silverhawks to a 7-3 record and state playoff appearance. Jorgensen also averaged better than 36 yards per punt and booted 36 of his 48 kickoffs for touchbacks. As a junior, Jorgensen made 7-of-10 field goals with a long field goal of 44 yards. He also made all 36 extra-point tries, averaged better than 36 yards per punt and had 19 touchbacks.

In the past and in many cases our punter was also an emergency PK and vice-versa ... but Armstrong looks so unprepared for the PK role this year that I believe its negatively affected his punting this year.

This year might be that 1 in a thousand years where everything that could go wrong did ... but if you are referring to Jorgensen he doesn't even come close to the AH benchmark ... wasn't listed on the roster last year. He's not someone I'd list high on the reliability scale. Last year we had Frahm and McCashland on the roster as undergraduates, did they leave/not return.

In the past and in many cases our punter was also an emergency PK and vice-versa ... but Armstrong looks so unprepared for the PK role this year that I believe its negatively affected his punting this year.

Maybe not in that realm, but having a decent walkon as your backup kicker in almost any other year is sufficient.

Maybe not in that realm, but having a decent walkon as your backup kicker in almost any other year is sufficient.
OK - but does Jorgenson qualify as a decent walk-on kicker?

True freshman - reasonably accomplished high school kicker but 7-11 high school FG performance with a long of 44 yards doesn't exactly excite me. Why wasn't a couple of the other walk-on kickers from the prior year still on the roster? To me - we walked into 2019 super reliant on Pickering without any real solid legitimate backup plan.

Last edited:

Have we ever had another season that we’ve gone through 5 kickers?

Seems unlikely to repeat in future...
True seems unlikely to repeat but our scholarship kid went down - all of the sudden we were counting on a true freshman kicker who's never kicked in a collegiate environment who then goes down - and then it became a fire drill.

It feels like there was no foresight or backup plan thought through until the late injuries occurred.

True freshman - reasonably accomplished high school kicker but 7-11 high school FG performance with a long of 44 yards doesn't exactly excite me. Why wasn't a couple of the other walk-on kickers from the prior year still on the roster? To me - we walked into 2019 super reliant on Pickering without any real solid legitimate backup plan.
For a kicker from Nebraska, I would say he was a decent walk-on.

I'd say decent in that Jorgensen is a better option than what we are currently seeing. I just don't think coaches normally have to worry about what their options are for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string placekickers.

I'd say decent in that Jorgensen is a better option than what we are currently seeing.
I probably don't disagree but then again we don't know.

I just don't think coaches normally have to worry about what their options are for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string placekickers.
One of my coaching mentors taught me to always have a backup plan. And then have a backup to that plan.

Wouldn't we love to have Cole Frahm redshirt freshman last year now kicking for SDSU? Currently a backup there?
Wouldn't we love to have Noah McCashland a true freshman form last year who hit a 50 yard FG in the Shrine Game?

True freshman ... never kicked in college?

How would we know until they actually kick, I guess when you are looking at a back up kicker, it will not be a scholarship kicker so we have to go on what he did in high school and assume that he would be a viable back up and hope we would never have to use him.

I probably don't disagree but then again we don't know.

One of my coaching mentors taught me to always have a backup plan. And then have a backup to that plan.

Wouldn't we love to have Cole Frahm redshirt freshman last year now kicking for SDSU? Currently a backup there?
Wouldn't we love to have Noah McCashland a true freshman form last year who hit a 50 yard FG in the Shrine Game?

And you know those two would do a better job? Again, we don't know how they would do. To over react to one injury outbreak is probably not the right solution. Especially for those calling for another scholarship kicker to be waiting 3 years to maybe see the field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back