• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So what's wrong with our kicker?

How is that working out this year? Yeah, not so well.
Then you're not reading my posts very well.

Depth and backup plan is not necessarily achieved by throwing unnecessary scholarships at it ... it is achieved by entering fall camp with more than two place kickers on your roster. Its achieved by taking advantage of your walk-on program. Its achieved by not relying on a true freshman kicker who has never been trough a fall camp much less kicked collegiately. Its achieved by having a backup plan and then by having a backup to that plan.

How is that working out this year? Yeah, not so well.

I get your point, but this is an anomaly. I don't remember ever having this issue before. And to be honest once we get back to our winning ways (which I pray are coming) we won't need to worry about winning by a FG. ;) Honestly though, I just don't think Nebraska can worry about this situation every year, once Pickering is back from whatever he did, I am sure he won't do again. We just can't focus on this one year issue.

Maybe I missed this - what is the problem with Pickering and how did it come about? Why should that be a secret?

I just had a thought that rather than an "injury" Pickering could be out with an "Illness", mononucleosis.

Mono is common in college age kids and although the main symptoms resolve within a few weeks, one of the things that can linger is enlargement of the spleen (organ in left upper abdomen).

Enlarged spleen is a major risk for rupture and bleeding to death in minutes with even minor trauma so this would stop Pickering from kicking as even someone running into him on extra points for example could be fatal.

As soon as spleen is back to normal size he would be good to go again.

This makes more sense to me than any leg injury I could think of but again it's just a guess.

GBR

I just had a thought that rather than an "injury" Pickering could be out with an "Illness", mononucleosis.

Mono is common in college age kids and although the main symptoms resolve within a few weeks, one of the things that can linger is enlargement of the spleen (organ in left upper abdomen).

Enlarged spleen is a major risk for rupture and bleeding to death in minutes with even minor trauma so this would stop Pickering from kicking as even someone running into him on extra points for example could be fatal.

As soon as spleen is back to normal size he would be good to go again.

This makes more sense to me than any leg injury I could think of but again it's just a guess.

GBR
Good point, and very well could be. But if I'm hearing correctly and it is a hip issue, that can take several weeks to heal, especially if severe. He was actually close a few weeks ago and tweaked it. So im sure they are being very careful with him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back