• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So what's wrong with our kicker?

Like what we had when Kunalik was the kickoff guy and a different kicker ( cant remember who right off the bat) handled fg and pats. I don't think it was a waste of a scholly. Maybe get guy to walkon and basically have tryout then put on scholly if it works out. Kunalik was an awesome weapon on kickoffs
2007 - Adi Kunalic and Jake Wesch
2008, 2009 and 2010 - Kunalic, Henery and Maher

For what its worth scholarship kicker Kunalic got beat out by a walk-on for the PK duties. I am 99% certain Henery and Maher came to the program as walk-ons and only earned scholarships after winning the PK job. In fact I think Henery was initially viewed more as a punter than PK.

Last edited:

We had them, but we could not keep them... Doesn't that tell you something?

They probably felt their options were better elsewhere. Also, smaller colleges IIRC can give partial scholarships, and I think can get academic scholarship assistance that does not count against limits in FCS, like it can in BCS. Henery at some level was initially on academic scholarship but had to go to athletic scholarship when he played.
So Frohm leaves for South Dakota State and is now their backup kicker ... he could've been kicking FGs for dear ole NU!

Do what you have to do to keep them ... its called recruiting.

My issue is that IMO Frost et al ... had a backup plan if Pickering was to get hurt - Jorgenson. But it appears to me they didn't have a backup to that plan ... if they weren't able to keep Frohn and McCashland then go find another walk-on freshman to come in a compete for the backup position when fall camp began (not when the crisis presented itself).

They opened the season with 2 kickers on their 120+ man roster.

He's got 300,000 different things to think about but IMO they went into the season without respectable depth at the PK position. A returning veteran, a true freshman walk-on and nothing else!

Last edited:
Totally disagree. We already have to many scholly players that very rarely see the field so I would rather have a 2nd scholly Kicker who rarely sees the field but can be called upon in situations like we have this year.
Please show me ANY P5 school that has 2 place kickers on scholarship ... I would be willing to bet it is very very few if any.

For what its worth scholarship kicker Kunalic got beat out by a walk-on for the PK duties. I am 99% certain Henery and Maher came to the program as walk-ons and only earned scholarships after winning the PK job. In fact I think Henery was initially viewed more as a punter than PK.

I thought Sandro Deangles (sp) was in there somewhere?

Please show me ANY P5 school that has 2 place kickers on scholarship ... I would be willing to bet it is very very few if any.
That wasn't the point. The point was that ME, MYSELF, and I would like to see a 2nd scholly Kicker on Nebraska's roster. I don't give a rat's behind what other P5 schools do or do not do. Plus alot of schools have ZERO scholly kickers....do you want to go that route?

Last edited:
Like what we had when Kunalik was the kickoff guy and a different kicker ( cant remember who right off the bat) handled fg and pats. I don't think it was a waste of a scholly. Maybe get guy to walkon and basically have tryout then put on scholly if it works out. Kunalik was an awesome weapon on kickoffs
This. Plus Kunalik could of filled in as a Kicker if the starter was hurt.

This. Plus Kunalik could of filled in as a Kicker if the starter was hurt.
When Kunalic was there ... his first three years he was the only scholarship kicker until they awarded one to the walk-on Henery during Kunalic's senior season..

That wasn't the point. The point was that ME, MYSELF, and I would like to see a 2nd scholly Kicker on Nebraska's roster. I don't give a rat's behind what other P5 schools do or do not do. Plus alot of schools have ZERO scholly kickers....do you want to go that route?
Using two scholarships on the Kicking position is not a good use of the limited scholarship resources available.

I understand its what you'd like to do but it is not a good use of scholarship assets as evidenced by the fact the majority of P5 schools, including Nebraska very rarely have two scholarship PK's on their rosters.

No - I do not want to go to ZERO scholarship PK's ... I just want a solid depth chart and backup plan in case of emergency!

What’s wrong with our kicker is that he’s irrelevant now. We are too far behind for mere kicks to matter. Does anyone truly think the kicker will matter against Wiscy?

Using two scholarships on the Kicking position is not a good use of the limited scholarship resources available.

I understand its what you'd like to do but it is not a good use of scholarship assets as evidenced by the fact the majority of P5 schools, including Nebraska very rarely have two scholarship PK's on their rosters.

No - I do not want to go to ZERO scholarship PK's ... I just want a solid depth chart and backup plan in case of emergency!
How is that working out this year? Yeah, not so well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back