• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So what's wrong with our kicker?

I do believe that special teams coaching is lacking control. How do you let the starting kicker over kick in practice?

How do you not coach OL protection?

I'm pretty sure that OL protection is being coached.....now when every player on every team does exactly what they are coached to do, well, that will be an amazing day.

He practiced yesterday.
images

On the block, our long snapper got buck-centered. The IU guy knocked him on his butt, came through and blocked the kick.
At the press conference today, the Monday following the Northwestern game, Frost finally admitted he needed "to check the rules" because the long snapper was getting hit by two different Northwestern players. After getting a kick blocked in the Illinois game two weeks ago where the long snapper got knocked on his butt,, wouldn't you think he would have already addressed the situation? I love Scott Frost but damn.

At the press conference today, the Monday following the Northwestern game, Frost finally admitted he needed "to check the rules" because the long snapper was getting hit by two different Northwestern players. After getting a kick blocked in the Illinois game two weeks ago where the long snapper got knocked on his butt,, wouldn't you think he would have already addressed the situation? I love Scott Frost but damn.
Seriously.... there is a rule that specifically covers a long snapper? I had no idea.

Seriously.... there is a rule that specifically covers a long snapper? I had no idea.

When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap. (A.R. 9-1-14:I-III)
Approved ruling 9-1-14

1. A10 is in a shotgun-type formation 7½ yards behind the snapper, who has his head down and is looking backward through his legs. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper and contacts him by pushing him backward. RULING: Legal. The snapper is not afforded any special protection because it was not reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted (Rule 2-16-10). The snapper does have the usual protection against any personal foul for unnecessary roughness. [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]
  2. Team A is in an obvious scrimmage kick formation. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper, contacts him, and drives him backward. The ball is snapped to an upback three yards behind the scrimmage line or to the potential kicker, who instead runs with or passes the ball. RULING: Foul. Penalty — 15 yards and automatic first down. The snapper may not be contacted until one second has elapsed after the snap when Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation and it is reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted. [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]
  3. Immediately after the snap, with Team A in an obvious scrimmage kick formation, noseguard B71 attempts to “shoot the gap” between the snapper and the adjacent lineman. B71’s initial legal contact is with the lineman next to the snapper. RULING: Legal. Incidental contact with the snapper after this initial legal contact is not a foul (Rule 2-16-10). [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]

When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap. (A.R. 9-1-14:I-III)
Approved ruling 9-1-14

1. A10 is in a shotgun-type formation 7½ yards behind the snapper, who has his head down and is looking backward through his legs. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper and contacts him by pushing him backward. RULING: Legal. The snapper is not afforded any special protection because it was not reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted (Rule 2-16-10). The snapper does have the usual protection against any personal foul for unnecessary roughness. [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]
  2. Team A is in an obvious scrimmage kick formation. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper, contacts him, and drives him backward. The ball is snapped to an upback three yards behind the scrimmage line or to the potential kicker, who instead runs with or passes the ball. RULING: Foul. Penalty — 15 yards and automatic first down. The snapper may not be contacted until one second has elapsed after the snap when Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation and it is reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted. [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]
  3. Immediately after the snap, with Team A in an obvious scrimmage kick formation, noseguard B71 attempts to “shoot the gap” between the snapper and the adjacent lineman. B71’s initial legal contact is with the lineman next to the snapper. RULING: Legal. Incidental contact with the snapper after this initial legal contact is not a foul (Rule 2-16-10). [Cited by 2-16-10-a, 9-1-14]
Thanks for this, CTH. What Illinois did is take advantage of scenario 4. The rusher appears to purposely bounce off of the the blocker to our snapper's left and then into the snapper, knocking him over and allowing the block. Frost mentioned that teams are simultaneously rushing players in the gaps to both the snapper's left and right. Our snapper is the size of a skill player rather than a lineman.

Thanks for this, CTH. What Illinois did is take advantage of scenario 4. The rusher appears to purposely bounce off of the the blocker to our snapper's left and then into the snapper, knocking him over and allowing the block. Frost mentioned that teams are simultaneously rushing players in the gaps to both the snapper's left and right. Our snapper is the size of a skill player rather than a lineman.
Back in the good old days you could crash a long snapper ... what Illinois is doing is playing around the edges.

I wish/hope that during every pre-game meeting between the referees and Scott Frost is that SF says something to the effect - last week Illinois was crashing my long snapper please watch out for that!

I think you missed the Osbornesque dry humor.

Need Damien Jackson to become our #1 LS then, he is currently 2nd team, he is good size and strong, no more weak point. (Just needs to be almost as good a snapper)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back