• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SEC.. overated and our season

Status
Not open for further replies.
MUAHA! That's actually not a bad thing. :)

I think the SEC is benefiting from essentially a closed system of scheduling (as one poster said "incestuous" - great use of the term on so many levels!:) ).

SEC teams feast on OOC cupcakes with 1 or 2 bigger names thrown in, and the lower half of their own conference. Rack up impressive records and then hit those "big" inter-conference rivalry games where the teams involved basically push as far as national rankings are concerned. The games are typically competitive since they see each other every year, attend the same clinics/camps, go after the same recruits, etc. It always looks like a tough game.

Now you try to translate that to the national stage and here's where the SEC "mystique" comes from, I think. They have an impressive record in post season bowls, and the reason that's the case, IMHO, is simply a matter of numbers and matchups. Each year for the past 5 years the SEC has had the largest representation in all bowls. Seems to me the formula for the SEC is pretty simple - send as many teams as possible to post-season play. That amounts to a huge level of visibility and skews perception.

The SEC has done well in bowls for the last decade (6-4, 5-5 ,and 6-3 in the last 3 years) but I think that's indicative of the way they schedule. It's a bit easier for SEC teams to make 6 wins and become bowl eligible, and thus represent the conference a bit better, when FCS teams are a regular snack. Last year, the SEC sent 10 teams to bowls and came out 5-5. Impressive when you consider the next largest representation from a conference (the Big-12 and B1G who sent 8) both went 3-5.

Keeping in mind that a large number of bowls are played in SEC stadiums, that may account for the slightly above .500 (but that's just speculation).

If you look at the SEC record vs OOC during the regular season, though, it's a slightly different but similar picture. SEC fans like to look at the whole OOC record which is impressive statistically.

Since 2005 the SEC is 273-109 OOC. An impressive .710.

However, if you drop all the mid-conferences and just look at the AQ's, that record becomes 91-74. A good, but not impressing .550.

As they say, perception is reality. The SEC is a good football conference, but they are absolutely masterful when it comes to PR.

I'll leave ESPN/SEC conspiracies out of this conversation (though considering the BCS was founded by Roy Kramer, the chairman of the SEC at the time it's hard to overlook).

Good post IrishNOLA, agree with the majority of what you say about the SEC. By the way, go West Monroe in the Louisiana high school playoffs.

This year we could beat South Carolina and Georgia. You nailed it with your post, I looked at all those teams as well as the Pac-12, BigXII, and B1G teams and do not see where they are head and shoulders above the rest.

That's easy to say, knowing that it is highly unlikely that we will play either. Maybe you can tell us for sure, can we beat ND? UCLA? Stanford? Oregon? How about Wisconsin?

At the begining of the season I said I thought they, Alabama, might be one of the 10 best college teams of all time.. now, I would be hard pressed to say they would be one of the 10 best in the last decade.

They are likely about as good as they were last year...good enough to win the NC but not one of the greatest teams ever. That's exactly what most year's produce...yeah, there's the occasional great NC team like Nebraska in 95, and the occasional sub-par NC team like LSU in 2007, but most of the others are pretty similar.

Your continued boorish hatred of the Pelini run Huskers aside, I have never had a problem with Dirk... Its your buddy Barfnecht who is the blabbering dolt, but thanks for the effort.. I give it a D.. not quite the usual F because you at least tried to hit the mark with journalists.

I guess you didn't really mean this then:

Well played :Biggrin:

We could only hope that Dirk was on a hot seat. There is one thing to be said for criticism, but Dirk loves to elevate his game to fabrication. He could seriously have a career in journalism with the Enquirer.

Or have you elevated your game to fabrication?

PS--Keep trying to get something right, maybe you'll get something correct some day. I've never liked Lee Barknecht, here is the comment I made about him in July:

LB is an in the bag Colorado fan and has been for years. Knows little to nothing about football. That said, we are far too paranoid. Besides, he only has about 50 readers...probably most of them on this board.

SCORE: GFOA 2 - CFC 0

Last edited:

So my ideal scenario is for Florida St. to beat Florida and GT, GT to beat Georgia, and Georgia to beat Alabama in the SEC title game. Also as much as it pains me to say it, for ND to win this weekend.

Interesting scenario.....might allow for an Oregon vs ND NC game.

I think top to bottom, they really are better and they usually show it bowl season. Certainly they get the benefit of the doubt in many situations but I think they have earned that, it wasn't given to them. I am more concerned about Nebraska and how they handle their business right now. Hopefully we can continue to improve and have a good showing in our bowl this year.
They are going to out-athlete alot of other conferences, including the B1G, during bowl season.

Throw out Kentucky and all of those teams are dangerous.

I would like to throw out kentucky but for some reason the NCAA keeps letting the great bastion of cheating remain. Auburn, excuse the pun, is a paper tiger, Arkansas is recovering from little Bobby Petrino, Missouri is ...well Missouri. Tennessee is pitiful and their coach has been fired and Mississippi is at best mediocre. One man's opinion.

I would like to throw out kentucky but for some reason the NCAA keeps letting the great bastion of cheating remain. Auburn, excuse the pun, is a paper tiger, Arkansas is recovering from little Bobby Petrino, Missouri is ...well Missouri. Tennessee is pitiful and their coach has been fired and Mississippi is at best mediocre. One man's opinion.

actually many men's opinion... you are amongst friends.

let us not forget Vandy who just blasted Tennessee and was absolutely hosed on a PI call against South Carolina that cost them the game... people so easily forget that mighty Northwestern of the sorry a$$ B1G beat them...

Last edited:
They are going to out-athlete alot of other conferences, including the B1G, during bowl season.

I don't necessarily think that'll happen. A lot will depend on the matchups. Against the Big East, probably. But Pac and B1G? Should be on a par except for the top 2 or so. I'd take Meechicken's or Stanford's DL over any SEC team's (except LSU and 'Bama).

All conferences have good teams. You put Alabama in the big 10 and they would still win. All conferences have bad teams you put Kentucky in the big 10 and they would still lose. A&M is now a part of the much ballyhooed SEC. Did they suddenly become world beaters because they are in the SEC? I do not think so. If A&M was was still in the Big 12 they would be just as tough as if they are in the SEC. This conference thing is a bunch of Horse Hockey. I will guarantee you this, if they were still in the Big 12 Alabama would never have played them and Alabama would be undefeated and everybody would be talking about how they are a super team.

All conferences have good teams. You put Alabama in the big 10 and they would still win. All conferences have bad teams you put Kentucky in the big 10 and they would still lose. A&M is now a part of the much ballyhooed SEC. Did they suddenly become world beaters because they are in the SEC? I do not think so. If A&M was was still in the Big 12 they would be just as tough as if they are in the SEC. This conference thing is a bunch of Horse Hockey. I will guarantee you this, if they were still in the Big 12 Alabama would never have played them and Alabama would be undefeated and everybody would be talking about how they are a super team.

+1

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21081960/doyel-sec-is-overrated

This sums it up perfectly
The SEC is awesome, usually, so a season like this was probably inevitable -- a year when the league would live off its reputation. Meanwhile, one-loss teams Florida State, Oregon and Kansas State have almost no shot at the BCS title game because they come from the wrong conference.
It's a Ponzi scheme, this 2012 SEC fraud, built upon layers of air. Georgia is great because it has beaten Florida. Florida is great because it has beaten Texas A&M. Texas A&M is great because it has beaten Alabama. And Alabama is great because it has beaten ... um, who has Alabama beaten, anyway?
Alabama's best win in the league came against LSU, which struggled with mediocre Ole Miss and lousy Auburn and was given a scare by Towson or Towson State or Towson Christian or whatever that school is called. Before LSU, Alabama's signature victory was a 38-7 destruction of undefeated and then-No. 13 Mississippi State -- and Mississippi State hadn't beaten anybody either.

No, they were just the beneficiary of that once in generation cosmic, karmic confluence of hiring a good coach and and having a QB on the practice squad turn into Johnny Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back