• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SEC.. overated and our season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bowl games aren't a very fair indicator of conference strength. They're not playoffs - team records have little to do with the match ups. It's more about drawing fan money, and many of the matchups are pre-determined.

The Big Ten suffers in bowl games because the enormous fanbases get us into better bowl arrangements than we necessarily "earn."

You seem to like halftime scores yet neglect to mention that we were only beating Southern Mississippi 28-17 at halftime. A team that hasn't won a game all season. Also, Michigan is the only conference opponent before yesterday that we had a lead on at halftime. And that was only by one point. Spin it however you have to but the SEC is a lot better than the Big 10. A lot better.

A whole lot better.

It's funny to read arguments that used to be used against the big 10 now used against the SEC just because in NU is in a different conference

It's funny to read arguments that used to be used against the big 10 now used against the SEC just because in NU is in a different conference

It's the same dynamic at work. Sports media, especially ESPN, gets fixated on a team, group of teams or conference and it's all they can do to move on when the story does. It's the same with regular major media: they all flock to the same stories and have a hard time moving on to the next thing, precisely because you have to go out and find the next thing, whereas regurgitating the same old story is much easier.

Nebraska rode it's reputation from the 90s into the 2001 title game. The Big Ten rode its reputation longer than it should have, and now the SEC is too.

There are some good SEC teams, but there are also some bad SEC teams. None of them look like they're playing at a different level than anybody else, with the one exception of Alabama against Michigan. Then again, Alabama looked quite ordinary against LSU and A&M.

The top 1/2 of the SEC is better than any conference. No argument there.

But the bottom half of the SEC is weak. Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Auburn...these teams are AWFUL.

At the beginning of the year, I was drinking the proverbial kool aid that the national media was spinning.. SEC was the king of college football. Well, 80% of the season is through, and I have finally seen the light. For all of the fanfare, the SEC is not the god conference. Lets take a look at how good these teams have been:

Georgia likely Top 5
Buffalo 4-7 (W 45-23) this was 24-16 at halftime.
Tennessee 4-7 (W 51-44) again, halftime was 30-30 and UT just fired their coach, effective immediately.
South Carolina 9-2 (L 35-7) This was not even a close game I would classify as a blow out.
Kentucky 2-9, 0-7 conf (W 29-24) Really? A 2 and 9 team you win by 5?
Florida 10-1 (W 17-9) Will cover in a minute, impressive? Not!
Georgia South 8-3 (FCS) Lead 17-7 at halftime.. a Sub-division team.
5 bad wins, one bad loss

Now, Florida, likely top 5
Bowling Green 7-4 (27-14) 14-7 halftime
Tennessee 4-7 (37-20) 10-14 halftime
Missouri 4-5, 1-5 conf (14-7) 0-7 halftime
LA – Lafayette 5-4 (27-20) 7 point win, at home, to a Sun Belt team
Sluggish offense is kind words..

LSU, again likely top 5
They looked good non-con, much like NU, but then
Auburn 3-8, 0-7 conf (12-10) 9-10 at halftime. This is a bad Auburn team
Towson 7-4, yes FCS, (38-22) 17-9 halftime
Florida 9-1 (6-14) one of the most anemic offenses in the SEC.

Now, look at our season in perspective:
So Miss 0-11, (49-20) opening game, slow start but won by 4 TD's
@UCLA 9-2, Pac12 Southern division champions (30-36) a game we all know we SHOULD have won had we just tackled the swing pass.
Arkansas State 8-3, 6-1 Sun Belt leaders (42-13) “Steamrolls” is the headline on ESPN.
Idaho State 1-10 (FCS) (73-7) We did our part, period.
Wisconsin 7-4 (30-27) Will represent the Leaders in the B1G CG.
Ohio State 11-0 (38-63) The one we imploded on.. yes, ugly.
NW 8-3 (29-28) Cardiac #1, will play on Jan 1
UM 8-3 (23-9) With Dennard, who knows, but good win, period. Will play on Jan 1
MSU 5-6 (23-20) Cardiac #2, one of the best defenses in the country, on the road.
PSU 7-4 (32-23) Cardiac #3, if it was not for tOSU, would be the best in the Leaders division
MU 6-5 (38-14) was not close, against a team going bowling.

Our two losses have come on the road, against a combined 20-2. Our opponents are a combined 68-51 and remember that includes and 0-11 Miss State and 1-10 Idaho State.

Everyone seems to think the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, ACC, etc.. are second fiddle to the SEC, I think that is BS.

Just some Sunday morning musing to think about.

People just buy the media hype... LSU scraped by Ole Miss on Saturday... the same Ole Miss that Texas put 66 pts up on and 670 yards offense...

Georgia opponents are a combined 42-58 when you remove 11 wins over FCS schools...

Georgia beat Florida when Florida turned the ball over 6 times... 17-7

Florida scored 1 offensive TD against Jacksonville State this past weekend... a team that gave up 48 to Tennessee MARTIN a fellow FCS team the week before..

There is a reason Sagarin does a full conference rating with score difference mattering... it is because that is the only way to connect 100+ teams that don't all play each other... The SEC is second to the Big 12 for a reason... The SEC is Alabama then a little bit of Texas A&M, LSU and Georgia...

When South Carolina gets steamrolled by Clemson and Florida gets emabarrassed by Florida State maybe people will reliaze that the SEC is living off one game by its best team... Bama beating Michigan... Vandy lost to Northwestern, Mizzou lost to Syracuse (who Minny beat...), Arkansas lost to La Monroe who is now middle of the pack Sun Belt. Florida had to block a punt with 20 seconds to go in order to beat ULa La....

I just hope and pray that Georgia Tech beats UGA so we can just be done with the SEC is King again talk..

Also...another fun fact about Florida... they have not played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida since the 1980's....seriously...wrap your head around that when we travel to Pasadena, Tempe, South Bend, Seattle, Winston-Salem, Blacksburg, Hattiesburg, Los Angeles etc....

Last edited:

"The top 1/2 of the SEC is better than any conference. No argument there.

But the bottom half of the SEC is weak. Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Auburn...these teams are AWFUL."

I agree with your assessment

Last edited:
From Dirk today, more fodder for the though:

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/11/19/mad-chatter-nov-19/

5. What does SEC myopia look like?

Clay Travis is a Nashville-based author and media personality. I love the guy’s work. I read his blog — Outkick the Coverage — all the time. I often link his pieces in the Chatter — here’s his take on the future of realignment. But he’s an SEC homer. Sunday night, he tweeted these messages:

– “Notre Dame has played one team in the top 50 of FBS offenses all season. One! Just a complete fraud of a team.”

Guess how many top-50 offenses Alabama has faced in 2012? Two. Tennessee and Texas A&M. So the Crimson Tide, the next best thing to the NFL, is 1-1 against top-50 offenses.

– “If, by chance, Bama choked against Georgia, Georgia would also spank Notre Dame. Just to be clear.”

Can you name Georgia’s second-best win (after Florida) in 2012? The answer is Vanderbilt. I’m not kidding. And let’s not forget the Bulldogs’ 35-7 loss at South Carolina. If anybody in the top-10 is overrated, it’s Georgia.

This kind of commentary is why people like me will be rooting for Notre Dame in the BCS championship game.

Last edited:
It's a double standard ... depending on how our year goes, we generally start trash talking any team/conference possible. Already read it about KSU today and now the SEC. It's pretty classless if you think about it ... especially when it's coming from the most respectful fan base (that's us, I've heard).

This...same disrespectful crowd each time. They also like to trash our upcoming opponents before the game, then if we eek out a win, they act like it was the greatest display of determination, grit and coaching ever performed.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

I do not buy the whole SEC is great thing. Particularly this year. The link above is Sagarin rankings by conference ... SEC is #2 barely ahead of the Pac10, followed by the B10.

Here are the top 10 non-conference games:
1. Alabama-Michigan ... imagine THE best non-con game is a neutral site game against Michigan
2. South Carolina-Clemson
3. Auburn-Clemson ... good for Clemson
4. Florida-Florida State ... I will be a Seminole fan this week!
5. Washington-LSU
6. Rutgers-Arkansas
7. Arizona State- Missouri ... Shame on Missouri to schedule tough non-con games
8. GTech-Georgia
9. Texas-Ole Miss ... it is OK for underacneiving SEC teams to schedule tough
10. Tennessee-NC State ... game against NC State is on a top 10 list?

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/04/top-10-2012-sec-non-conference-football-games/

Preseason Rankings:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/2

6 SEC teams in the preseason top 25 - 5 in the top 10. Coincidence that they remain ranked high, even after they lose?

SEC is THE top rated 1-loss team, 2-loss team. What makes Alabama the top 1-loss rated team over KState, Oregon, Florida State? More than likely it is because they ('Bama) started higher in the polls.

What makes us complain about this NOW when we enjoyed a similar advantage throughout the Osborne years? That's how it works...and, FYI, they ARE the best 1-loss team, IMO.

Auburn: 3-8, Kentucky: 2-9, Tennessee: 4-7, Arkansas: 4-7, Mississippi: 5-6, Missouri: 5-6

vs

Illinois: 2-9, Indiana: 4-7, Purdue: 5-6, Michigan St: 5-6, Iowa: 4-7, Minnesota: 6-5

Could any of those BIG teams beat any of those SEC teams? Maybe MSU could beat Kentucky and Auburn, then again they might outplay them and lose by a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back