• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SEC.. overated and our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

A little more number crunching from Georgia land...

UGAs opponents have a combined 23-47 record against BCS conference schools

Nebraska's opponents have a combined 43-31 record against BCS conference schools....

That says a few things...

1. UGA has been gifted a very soft schedule, the played 2 top 25 teams and were mauled in 1 by South Carolina and won the other by 10 pts at a neutral site thanks to 6 Florida turnovers in a horribly played football game.

2. Nebraska's opponents have been pretty darn tough this year... Northwestern and UCLA have really proved to be good football teams... honestly... the only real disappointment is going to end up being Southern Miss who is having a complete anomaly of a season.

Auburn sucks this year, too. I wouldn't call them dangerous. Otherwise, I agree. Ole Miss gave LSU a run for their money this weekend ... of course, I'm sure somebody is going to say that LSU isn't a good team.

Everybody can have their own opinion, but the SEC seems to hold up well in bowl games and their top teams beat up on top out-of-conference teams.

Here's a bowl season comparison from the last 3 years. Agree, they have the best bowl seasons. Again, each point represents the performance for that particular game using the Sagarin Predictor measure. The horizontal line is the average, red is a loss, black is a win, higher is better.

2009 Bowl Games SEC Big12 Big10.jpg2010 Bowl Games SEC Big12 Big10.jpg2011 Bowl Games SEC Big12 Big10.jpg

The SEC has been the best conference the last 6 years or so. Depending on the year you can make a case for other conferences depending on how the analysis is done (for example Sagarin currently lists the Big12 ahead of the SEC, rated the Big12 the best last year, and the Pac10 best in 2009 - go figure), but on average the SEC is the most solid conference.

Last edited:
Quoting the hated Dirk? That must pain you and others here, many of whom believe he writes nothing but crap.

Your continued boorish hatred of the Pelini run Huskers aside, I have never had a problem with Dirk... Its your buddy Barfnecht who is the blabbering dolt, but thanks for the effort.. I give it a D.. not quite the usual F because you at least tried to hit the mark with journalists.

Last edited:

What makes us complain about this NOW when we enjoyed a similar advantage throughout the Osborne years? That's how it works...and, FYI, they ARE the best 1-loss team, IMO.
Osborne years are decades in the rearview mirror. Besides what may have been wrong in the past doesn't make the same thing right in the present.

Alabama MAY be the best 1-loss team in the country but they are ranked where they are because (1) they started the season ranked higher than other 1-loss teams, (2) their loss was earlier in the season than most other 1-loss teams -and- (3) the week when teams like KSU and Oregon were losing Alabama was winning against Wofford.

What is the argument for Georgia and Florida being ranked higher than say Florida State or KSU or Oregon. Why is a 2-loss LSU team ranked over Stanford, Oklahoma, UCLA, Nebraska or other 1-loss teams such as Florida State and Clemson? There has to be (a) some SEC bias involved in these rankings -and- (b) some impact of preseason rankings.

As I recall, the B1G has several bowl matchups with the SEC. As a conference, we will get to put our money where our mouth is. Personally, I expect the B1G has outkicked its coverage in terms of locking up great bowl matchups - and may struggle again.

Bowl games aren't a very fair indicator of conference strength. They're not playoffs - team records have little to do with the match ups. It's more about drawing fan money, and many of the matchups are pre-determined.

The Big Ten suffers in bowl games because the enormous fanbases get us into better bowl arrangements than we necessarily "earn."

As I recall, the B1G has several bowl matchups with the SEC. As a conference, we will get to put our money where our mouth is. Personally, I expect the B1G has outkicked its coverage in terms of locking up great bowl matchups - and may struggle again.

Yep, pretty much Paper said.. Bowl games are not truly about #2 vs. #2, #3 vs. #3 and so on.

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with coworkers about ND and the big losses over the weekend. It took a turn that led me to research some of the top teams. After seeing the schedule of the SEC teams I no longer believe the hype about how great the conference is. All I did was get on ESPN.com and click from team to team looking at their schedules, who they beat and who they lost too. All the talk about the SEC being so great is garbage.

Who? Tennessee would probably throw for 800 yards against Minnesota.

Really? You do know that the only wins Tennessee has is against North Carolina State, Georgia State, Akron, and Troy. I know that Minnesota is not some great team but no way is your statement based on anything substantial.

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with coworkers about ND and the big losses over the weekend. It took a turn that led me to research some of the top teams. After seeing the schedule of the SEC teams I no longer believe the hype about how great the conference is. All I did was get on ESPN.com and click from team to team looking at their schedules, who they beat and who they lost too. All the talk about the SEC being so great is garbage.

The sense I have is that there are still some very good teams in the SEC, but the silliness about how Alabama could compete with a bottom rung NFL team should probably stop. They're good but they aren't THAT good.

At the begining of the season I said I thought they, Alabama, might be one of the 10 best college teams of all time.. now, I would be hard pressed to say they would be one of the 10 best in the last decade.

The SEC gets alot of help when they really dont need it. They get help in recruiting, as RR stated. Both from being able to over-sign, and also by getting love from all the recruiting services. They get help from polls and voters because of ESPN putting the tag as the greatest conference in the universe... ever tag on the SEC. Look at the polls from last week, before all the upsets.

1. K-State
2. Oregon
3. Notre Dame

Then...

4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. LSU
8. Texas A&M
9. South Carolina

Basically setting up an SEC vs SEC.... again.... in the BCS game if 1,2 and 3 lose. Theres absolutely no other one loss team outside of the SEC that can squeak in because "a 2 loss team from the SEC is better than anyone below them" mentality that the voters have.

A 1 loss FSU team, who is playing pretty good football right now wont even get a sniff because the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt. True they have won the last umpteen BCS championships, but when the rankings line up the way they do, the only way ANYONE else gets a look is to go undefeated. If they dont, they will fall behind 2 loss SEC schools. Its crap, and even the 4 team playoff wont solve it entirely.

This week the BCS looks a little better, but once this week comes to a close, and championship week comes to a close, theres a pretty good chance the SEC will hold 4 or 5 slots in the top 10, and probably have 2,3 and 4... if not #1 as well.

For the first time in my life, I am rooting for Notre Dame.

Last edited:

The SEC gets alot of help when they really dont need it. They get help in recruiting, as RR stated. Both from being able to over-sign, and also by getting love from all the recruiting services. They get help from polls and voters because of ESPN putting the tag as the greatest conference in the universe... ever tag on the SEC. Look at the polls from last week, before all the upsets.

1. K-State
2. Oregon
3. Notre Dame

Then...

4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida
7. LSU
8. Texas A&M
9. South Carolina

Basically setting up an SEC vs SEC.... again.... in the BCS game if 1,2 and 3 lose. Theres absolutely no other one loss team outside of the SEC that can squeak in because "a 2 loss team from the SEC is better than anyone below them" mentality that the voters have.

A 1 loss FSU team, who is playing pretty good football right now wont even get a sniff because the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt. True they have won the last umpteen BCS championships, but when the rankings line up the way they do, the only way ANYONE else gets a look is to go undefeated. If they dont, they will fall behind 2 loss SEC schools. Its crap, and even the 4 team playoff wont solve it entirely.

This week the BCS looks a little better, but once this week comes to a close, and championship week comes to a close, theres a pretty good chance the SEC will hold 4 or 5 slots in the top 10, and probably have 2,3 and 4... if not #1 as well.

This year we could beat South Carolina and Georgia. You nailed it with your post, I looked at all those teams as well as the Pac-12, BigXII, and B1G teams and do not see where they are head and shoulders above the rest.

So my ideal scenario is for Florida St. to beat Florida and GT, GT to beat Georgia, and Georgia to beat Alabama in the SEC title game. Also as much as it pains me to say it, for ND to win this weekend.

MUAHA! That's actually not a bad thing. :)

I think the SEC is benefiting from essentially a closed system of scheduling (as one poster said "incestuous" - great use of the term on so many levels!:) ).

SEC teams feast on OOC cupcakes with 1 or 2 bigger names thrown in, and the lower half of their own conference. Rack up impressive records and then hit those "big" inter-conference rivalry games where the teams involved basically push as far as national rankings are concerned. The games are typically competitive since they see each other every year, attend the same clinics/camps, go after the same recruits, etc. It always looks like a tough game.

Now you try to translate that to the national stage and here's where the SEC "mystique" comes from, I think. They have an impressive record in post season bowls, and the reason that's the case, IMHO, is simply a matter of numbers and matchups. Each year for the past 5 years the SEC has had the largest representation in all bowls. Seems to me the formula for the SEC is pretty simple - send as many teams as possible to post-season play. That amounts to a huge level of visibility and skews perception.

The SEC has done well in bowls for the last decade (6-4, 5-5 ,and 6-3 in the last 3 years) but I think that's indicative of the way they schedule. It's a bit easier for SEC teams to make 6 wins and become bowl eligible, and thus represent the conference a bit better, when FCS teams are a regular snack. Last year, the SEC sent 10 teams to bowls and came out 5-5. Impressive when you consider the next largest representation from a conference (the Big-12 and B1G who sent 8) both went 3-5.

Keeping in mind that a large number of bowls are played in SEC stadiums, that may account for the slightly above .500 (but that's just speculation).

If you look at the SEC record vs OOC during the regular season, though, it's a slightly different but similar picture. SEC fans like to look at the whole OOC record which is impressive statistically.

Since 2005 the SEC is 273-109 OOC. An impressive .710.

However, if you drop all the mid-conferences and just look at the AQ's, that record becomes 91-74. A good, but not impressing .550.

As they say, perception is reality. The SEC is a good football conference, but they are absolutely masterful when it comes to PR.

I'll leave ESPN/SEC conspiracies out of this conversation (though considering the BCS was founded by Roy Kramer, the chairman of the SEC at the time it's hard to overlook).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back