• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

Yeah, there are some of those programs that are perennial top 15 no doubt. Then there's everyone else.

It really all boils down to what the networks ultimately want; they are in control. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Where does it end? At what point do the conferences start booting out their low performers to hog more cash? It gets a bit silly - it's just college football.
Thats the unknown that has to play out. To put it together right now could happen, in which you'd likely see a small form factor that grows.

Not sure thats how they're going to do it as the TV people have already gotten together and likely want to keep some form of comfort at this point.
Down the road, who knows? We never had playoffs, then we had only 4 teams, now twelve.
Baby steps with these huge changes is my guess.

And what people need to also consider is the NIL factor of each team beyond an agreed upon number for telly rights.
So those with big support will have their edge, but it will be smaller in proportion of overall pay to athletes.
Say if each player receives $100 grand, and you divvy up 20 more through NIL, well from the starting point it is more, just not nothing then only NIL.
I’m not sure everyone is seeing the logical endgame here. NIL, generic booster funds, any funds at all — it’s all still in play. No legitimate caps. No rules, actually. It’s not really a question of whether a school has enough to stay in the herd. It’s more a question of who can pay serious money to win. UCLA didn’t win all those basketball championships because Wooden was such a great coach (he was damn good) — the dirty little secret of Westwood was that they had more cash and real estate to gobble up every five-star recruit. So who pays for the wins?

I’m not sure everyone is seeing the logical endgame here. NIL, generic booster funds, any funds at all — it’s all still in play. No legitimate caps. No rules, actually. It’s not really a question of whether a school has enough to stay in the herd. It’s more a question of who can pay serious money to win. UCLA didn’t win all those basketball championships because Wooden was such a great coach (he was damn good) — the dirty little secret of Westwood was that they had more cash and real estate to gobble up every five-star recruit. So who pays for the wins?
Of any team thats done this its the Yankees back in the day. Much harder to do in college, SMU comes to mind.
aTm has been trying hard, they haven't had much success. Dabo found the right mix for awhile, but that talent moved on to Sundays.
So between good coaching and decent coaching with bought players, things still have to align.
MR says Michigan and especially Georgia are doing it right. They have/had a formula plus recruited and built to it. Highest bidder at high pay only makes a player want the best fit more when all are in the ballpark.
I wouldn't want to go to a lesser fit for $200 grand if I knew Sundays were around the corner. Some will want every dime, some are smarter and will choose wiser.
So yes it gives you an edge, but with everyone getting paid, its now slightly dulled in a hard to create perfect mix.

Yeah, there are some of those programs that are perennial top 15 no doubt. Then there's everyone else.

It really all boils down to what the networks ultimately want; they are in control. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Where does it end? At what point do the conferences start booting out their low performers to hog more cash? It gets a bit silly - it's just college football. Everyone is going to just keep spending what they make anyway.

We moved to the Big 10, partly because of nice paychecks, and now we are on primetime a whole heck of a lot less than we were back in the Big 12 days. In the late 1990s, I would drive to Lincoln and have to give $200 a seat for student tickets for a Big 12 game - ANY Big 12 game. Last year I went to a game for $35 a ticket. That's almost 2 generations later. So what exactly did the big money accomplish? We haven't even been to a bowl in what, 5 or 6 seasons? Seems it's all a carousel.
Very little of what you described is because we went to the B1G. I couldn’t even begin to fathom what it would be like now if we were still in the Big 12. What did the big money accomplish? It’s keeping us at the big boy table.

Lots to unpack in this thread. A few thoughts:
-If you're an employee, can we fire you for performance? Where does that leave the B10's "can't pull a scholarsip"?

-If there's a contract for xxx $$$ can we prorate if they leave early?

- can we implement non-compete clauses?

- If DR makes a million $$$ from NIL can he waive the UNL contract? Does he then waive revenue sharing?

I know there are a lot of lawyers and smart folks here so I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Lots to unpack in this thread. A few thoughts:
-If you're an employee, can we fire you for performance? Where does that leave the B10's "can't pull a scholarsip"?

-If there's a contract for xxx $$$ can we prorate if they leave early?

- can we implement non-compete clauses?

- If DR makes a million $$$ from NIL can he waive the UNL contract? Does he then waive revenue sharing?

I know there are a lot of lawyers and smart folks here so I'm really interested in your thoughts.
No to performance, but yes everything else except waiving the contract.

Two Questions:
a) At what point does taking classes/working on a degree become optional?
b) At what point is Recruiting replaced by a Player Draft

Two Questions:
a) At what point does taking classes/working on a degree become optional?
b) At what point is Recruiting replaced by a Player Draft
I would think almost all schools will keep certain schooling requirements and that they be met.
If anything, as employees this is a reflection on the school overall, and is very visual, not easily hidden from the school.
Money has been running academics for awhile now, but even so it has its limits.

A few things: 1) the only thing the recent litigation settlement resolves are funds owed former athletes for NIL use and revenue-sharing for NIL funds going forward, i.e., the NCAA and schools making money off the athletes; 2) the funds to pay former and present athletes mostly is sourced from March Madness; 3) this is about revenue-sharing with athletes, period, with none of the employee-employer or other legal issues floating around being addressed or resolved by this; 4) the settlement implicates, and likely will provoke litigation about, other legal issues related to employment, Title IX, and a hundred other issues; 5) the settlement also doesn’t address any structure or framework for what happens next, which means the sport is entering a new level of free-for all and chaos; and, last, 6) it’s not a coincidence that everyone who is someone in college sports is begging Congress to intervene. I’ve said this before, but if Congress does not step in to enact laws basically laying out some structure and regulations, college sports will end. It doesn’t matter if a few dozen programs can survive financially for several years. It will all crash without a new legal framework. And law and order.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back