• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

Nebraska = Green Bay

Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia = Dallas Cowboys
The one thing currently going on is, Indiana is making more than Bama and Georgia without doing much, just one thing, playing one more conference game.
Now I'm not referring to other sources of income, but even including them, Indy has a $9 million dollar head start.
It will be interesting now that there's a twelve team playoff if the SEC starts playing 9 games in conference now.
So for those who worry if we will be a big boy player, we will be, maybe not at the top but I can't see them breaking top earners down into a league or super conference where we aren't in it, it'd be too small.
The NFL has 32 teams, we certainly make that cut and then some.

The one thing currently going on is, Indiana is making more than Bama and Georgia without doing much, just one thing, playing one more conference game.
Now I'm not referring to other sources of income, but even including them, Indy has a $9 million dollar head start.
It will be interesting now that there's a twelve team playoff if the SEC starts playing 9 games in conference now.
So for those who worry if we will be a big boy player, we will be, maybe not at the top but I can't see them breaking top earners down into a league or super conference where we aren't in it, it'd be too small.
The NFL has 32 teams, we certainly make that cut and then some.
Agreed

Nebraska = Green Bay

Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia = Dallas Cowboys

Alabama and Georgia are not exactly flush with cash. Those are very poor states. Nick Saban knows this full well, which is a big reason he isn't coaching any more. The truly rich schools is a pretty short list.

Notre Dame, Texas, aTm, SMU, Stanford, Michigan, tOSU, USC, possibly Penn State. Those schools are playing with dollars while everyone else is playing with pennies.

Texas, A&M, and SMU can pretty well spend everyone under the table. SMU had one booster write a check for $220 million just to get them into the ACC. When a reporter asked the booster about it, he said "It's just $220 million...I'm not going to lose any sleep over it."

Let that sink in.

Last edited:
I can't see them breaking top earners down into a league or super conference where we aren't in it, it'd be too small.

Everyone outside of the obvious rich schools is saying this about their own school, and it's probably correct. And it really applies to this whole concept of P2. There isn't going to be a P2 for two reasons: Media doesn't want to be leveraged like they are with the NFL, and there likely isn't a sufficient national audience for a P2. Probably not even a P3. We are going to have 65 or so teams in this mix, which gets into most crooks and crannies of the U.S. If media wanted just the B1G and SEC, it would have happened.

There will also be more media foraying into college football. TNT just signed an agreement for the CFP. When more media come in, the financial playing fields will be leveled up some, and we will all get to start seeing our teams on Saturdays again, which as it should be.

Last edited:

Everyone outside of the obvious rich schools is saying this about their own school, and it's probably correct. And it really applies to this whole concept of P2. There isn't going to be a P2 for two reasons: Media doesn't want to be leveraged like they are with the NFL, and there likely isn't a sufficient national audience for a P2. Probably not even a P3. We are going to have 65 or so teams in this mix, which gets into most crooks and crannies of the U.S. If media wanted just the B1G and SEC, it would have happened.

There will also be more media foraying into college football. TNT just signed an agreement for the CFP. When more media come in, the financial playing fields will be leveled up some, and we will all get to start seeing our teams on Saturdays again, which as it should be.
Disagree. Too early yet. We know the markets up to now, now throw in west coast schools to the Big or the cream of the crop of the big twelve to the SEC differing scenarios start to happen.
I am talking longer term where it may get whittled down to 40 teams.
When you start giving that number, a lot of speculation goes out the window and brutal hard facts appear.
Now could that be 45? Sure, it might, but changing formats will define who and what number that is.

Last edited:
When will the 4 years of eligibility go out the window? That won't stand up in court, either.

And when will we start trading players? "We need a QB, so we will take you backup Johnny off your hands, $1 million for him, $1 million for you, and we will give him an MBA degree after two years. We won't make him go to class - we will have a private tutor do everything online."

This is all going to get really interesting, really fast.

Nailed it.

And unlike a Yankees-Cardinals trade, this could happen cross sport. Pro teams are only a single sport, where universities sponsor multiple.

"Hey, Kansas, wanna trade NU a linebacker for a power forward?"

Disagree. Too early yet. We know the markets up to now, now throw in west coast schools to the Big or the cream of the crop of the big twelve to the SEC differing scenarios start to happen.
I am talking longer term where it may get whittled down to 40 teams.
When you start giving that number, a lot of speculation goes out the window and brutal hard facts appear.
Now could that be 45? Sure, it might, but changing formats will define who and what number that is.

Yeah I don’t know that’s there’s 45 programs out there that can come up with $20 million a year extra cash. I’m not even certain there are 25 programs that can do that. Most programs, even the richest, are spending every dime that comes in.

There probably needs to be a 10 team league for the stupid rich. Problem is, the stupid rich need everyone else so that there remains some level of interest.

Yeah I don’t know that’s there’s 45 programs out there that can come up with $20 million a year extra cash. I’m not even certain there are 25 programs that can do that. Most programs, even the richest, are spending every dime that comes in.

There probably needs to be a 10 team league for the stupid rich. Problem is, the stupid rich need everyone else so that there remains some level of interest.
Well, Nebraska often gives academics $5 million, that will stop, and the eventual number will concentrate the current monies if not increase the overall monies shared between few teams.
In turn, this will also concentrate recruiting.
Where the balance will actually be no one knows.

Well, Nebraska often gives academics $5 million, that will stop, and the eventual number will concentrate the current monies if not increase the overall monies shared between few teams.
In turn, this will also concentrate recruiting.
Where the balance will actually be no one knows.
Yep..... that’s going to stop if Nebraska wants to keep playing with the big boys!

Nebraska

2022 INCOME NOTES

The athletics department transferred $10,000,000 to the school.

What the numbers show is these 18 teams account for 50% of all College Football viewership on TV: Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State, Texas, Auburn, Florida, Wisconsin, Washington, Florida State, Tennessee, USC, and Oregon.

Only 10% of total views from the bottom 71 schools (that's 53% of all schools).

This is why a P2 is 100% coming and is nearly already here. Just look at the cash payouts. The Big12/ACC just won't be able to keep up. Clemson and FSU are going to leave the ACC likely this year and ND is going to sign a scheduling agreement with the B1G and SEC.

Only 10% of total views from the bottom 71 schools (that's 53% of all schools).

This is why a P2 is 100% coming and is nearly already here. Just look at the cash payouts. The Big12/ACC just won't be able to keep up. Clemson and FSU are going to leave the ACC likely this year and ND is going to sign a scheduling agreement with the B1G and SEC.
Just think about it. PAC 8 big 8 big ten sec and acc plus fsu notre dame psu , say 48 schools, now add Utah, the zona schools, byu, low 50s.
SWC has already been absorbed, some pac and big eight schools and a sec or two and several acc schools won't make it.
Low 50s, pure speculation, but the growth just isn't there for many yet is for a few.

Last edited:

Just think about it. PAC 8 big 8 big ten sec and acc plus fsu notre dame psu , say 48 schools, now add Utah, the zona schools, byu, low 50s.
SWC has already been absorbed, some pac and big eight schools and a sec or two and several acc schools won't make it.
Low 50s, pure speculation, but the growth just isn't there for many yet is for a few.
40 is the max we'll see in the P2 IMO. That might be high, could be 36 as well.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back