• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

Thank you. Rhule should be able to recruit well. At least we can’t say that being in the NFL the last few years is a major barrier to success. And he’ll have a staff to help recruit.

I understand your concern about the losing record but I think you should also consider his ability to take two teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. That requires some chops as a head coach. We know how difficult it is to do.

The other thing to keep in mind about Rhule is he appears to be a solid human being. I know that doesn’t win football games but we all know it’s important. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about distracting scandals, or an inability to relate to Husker fans. Again, it doesn’t win games but it’s an important quality in a head coach.

I think Nebraska fans will also like his football philosophy. He’s a former Penn State linebacker. He’s coached linebackers and D line. He coached O line in the NFL. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about our defense playing tag during practice. And I don’t think he’ll accept the disgraceful O line play we’ve seen under Frost.

I’d just say, don’t get too caught up in the record while overlooking that those bad seasons were put behind him as he took those teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. He did it twice, at two programs. Let’s give him credit for that. I personally like the hire. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. If he sucks in a few years I’ll stand in line with you, ‘fire Matt Rhule’ sign in hand. But let’s first see if he can turn this thing around for us.
Well first he needs to be announced as the head coach :)

Great post

Thank you. Rhule should be able to recruit well. At least we can’t say that being in the NFL the last few years is a major barrier to success. And he’ll have a staff to help recruit.

I understand your concern about the losing record but I think you should also consider his ability to take two teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. That requires some chops as a head coach. We know how difficult it is to do.

The other thing to keep in mind about Rhule is he appears to be a solid human being. I know that doesn’t win football games but we all know it’s important. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about distracting scandals, or an inability to relate to Husker fans. Again, it doesn’t win games but it’s an important quality in a head coach.

I think Nebraska fans will also like his football philosophy. He’s a former Penn State linebacker. He’s coached linebackers and D line. He coached O line in the NFL. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about our defense playing tag during practice. And I don’t think he’ll accept the disgraceful O line play we’ve seen under Frost.

I’d just say, don’t get too caught up in the record while overlooking that those bad seasons were put behind him as he took those teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. He did it twice, at two programs. Let’s give him credit for that. I personally like the hire. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. If he sucks in a few years I’ll stand in line with you, ‘fire Matt Rhule’ sign in hand. But let’s first see if he can turn this thing around for us.
Well put.

That’s what frost said about Riley as do a lot of coaches that take over programs in hopes that it gets printed. It’s a form of platering. Gives him or her a hook to hang their hat when Negotiations are needed
SF was a fraud, liar and lazy. Add to that he was a narcissist.

If we land rhule we will get a person that gives 100%, knows how to develop talent and isn’t afraid to hire assistants as competent as him

Looks like many of you haven’t had Thanksgiving dinner yet or should go back and get another helping or two.

Get rid of the grumps by sitting back and relaxing today.

981d20801130c02f0af74fa72428dc97-3d20bc10.jpeg

Last edited:
So we are going to count on a coach to recruit who hasn’t been in front of a recruit in 3 years. Recruiting is a relationship business so I ask myself how many high school seniors he actually has relationships with, also how many players are going to follow him to replace the ones who will be leaving. Answer is none.

Why doesn't the same standard apply to Urban Meyer?

To what do you attribute the fact that at each of his two stints as a college head coach he took his team to 10 and 11 wins? Does that suggest that he might have some coaching chops? We have to give him some credit for the accomplishments, don’t we?
2 years before he took over Baylor they had 10 wins. 11 wins 3 years and 4 years before

2 years before he took over Temple, they had 8 wins. 9 the year before that.

2 years before he took over Carolina, they had 11 wins. 15 the year before that.

The over and over regurgitating that he built these perrinially bad programs into great teams is where I have issue. It makes me question his entire narrative and view him as an opportunist. Everything he has done has seemed to be elevated many times greater than his actual accomplishments when.you break them down. In hindsight, Frost's time at UCF was similar and should have been looked at closer. But even Frost was bringing a perceived exciting offense system that he directed, something Rhule does not have.

2 years before he took over Baylor they had 10 wins. 11 wins 3 years and 4 years before

2 years before he took over Temple, they had 8 wins. 9 the year before that.

2 years before he took over Carolina, they had 11 wins. 15 the year before that.

The over and over regurgitating that he built these perrinially bad programs into great teams is where I have issue. It makes me question his entire narrative and view him as an opportunist. Everything he has done has seemed to be elevated many times greater than his actual accomplishments when.you break them down. In hindsight, Frost's time at UCF was similar and should have been looked at closer. But even Frost was bringing a perceived exciting offense system that he directed, something Rhule does not have.
Good stuff there, did not look at that...Campbell is the best choice as far as I can see.

Regardless who the hire is, we'll have some door slamming, foot pounding temper tantrums from a few who didn't get 'their' guy.

1) It isn't your call.
2) If you are still here you're a sucker for punishment as Riley followed by Frost has been the biggest downhill crap fest we could have ever imagined. If you'll put up with them, you'll put up with whoever Trev hires.
3) Anyone of the 4-5 regularly mentioned guys in the search are a quantum leap forward for the program in terms of leadership and development, something both Riley and Frost didn't feel were needed to be a part of cfb.
4) It isn't your call.

Rhule will have us playing respectable, quality football in short order.
So in 1st and tens post he says there will be people who will hate the new guy and theow a temper tantrum.
As it should be because this is a football board for all to express their opinion. I’m a big fan of Rhule if he is the chosen one but what we have learned in the last 30 years is the minority was often right. Maybe his critics can shed light we don’t see that encourages us to evaluate as we go instead of drinking and regurgitating all the koolaid like we have in the past.

No it’s not their call. But the call is still being made by people on the University payroll and by nature of their position even the critics should be able to speak up and have an opinion.

Our job as Rhule supporters is express our opinions back as much as we can. That’s the idea. Even if they are as severe as @Oldgrappler. How stupid will we feel in a few years if he was right about Rhule the whole time?
Then you respond as it should be. Meaning you think there should be a percenage of fans who throw a temper tantrum.

Now i am not here to say they do not have a right to be upset. I do not think it should be that way before a guy has coached a game.

Likely, he’ll hire assistants with said relationships.
So if you are crediting Rhules success at Baylor to Briles, do you credit Aranda's Big 12 championship in his 2nd year to Rhule? Or are you moving the goalposts?
To moving any goalpost Here. I’m talking about Rhule, if you want to discuss Aranda we can do that the only thing I stating is facts. His best season everyboday talks about was done with Briles recruits and if we use that success to hire a coach. It’s a false narrative. he best season in the last 6 years was done on someone else’s work

By the same token, Dave Aranda’s 2021 Big 12 Championship team was full of Rhule recruits including the starting QB, starting LT, starting TE and a WR who was the leading receiver. Therefore, Aranda’s 12-2 2021 team made waves with Rhule’s recruits. Look at the 2021 depth chart and you’ll see who Rhule recruited.
That would be worth exploring if we were talking about Aranda. But we aren’t, the depth chart is posted and it reads the team was made up of majority Briles guys. Plus it had 18 seniors which is about normal.

To moving any goalpost Here. I’m talking about Rhule, if you want to discuss Aranda we can do that the only thing I stating is facts. His best season everyboday talks about was done with Briles recruits and if we use that success to hire a coach. It’s a false narrative. he best season in the last 6 years was done on someone else’s work
The fact you continue to discount the rape accusations that gutted the program and the fact Rhule won 11 games in his 3rd year at Baylor afterwards is why many people here think you are stubborn. Go ahead and stick to your guns despite the amount of information as to why your opinion is shortsighted.

Curious to see if you change your tune about Rhule if he is hired and turns Nebraska around, or if you will just give credit to Frost.

Last edited:

Pretty sure Briles wasn’t coaching Baylor the same time that Rhule was

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back