• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

No matter how you slice it 17 straight losses against ranked teams is pretty terrible. How about somebody in the love fest address that.

Or that every one of his first seasons was worse than the one before he got there.

Or every one of the 3 stops had excellent seasons just 2 years before he got there and the rebuild was more in line with Frost's at UCF when there was just a single down year.

He has not proven sustainable success and left both college programs before is initial upperclassmen had to turnover.

He is not a schemer or play caller and will likely rely on the coordinators that are hired.

He has been out tof the recruiting cycle for 3 years and was never a national recruiter to start with.

Every coach has a value associated with them. Just because Carolina was dumb enough to offer a large contract and is now paying the price, doesn't mean we should do the same. His hiring means we are behind the 8 ball in recruiting and where we go will be contingent in staff and his potential contract value should reflect that.

Other coaches in the top salary bands don't come with that kind of stipulation.
To what do you attribute the fact that at each of his two stints as a college head coach he took his team to 10 and 11 wins? Does that suggest that he might have some coaching chops? We have to give him some credit for the accomplishments, don’t we?

Got to give you credit, you don’t waiver from your position no matter what! :Lol: Not a characteristic I value, but it to admire your unrelenting tenacity in the face of reason. It is the kind of stubbornness that led us to fire two successful coaches though.
NM

Last edited:
Rhules team at Baylor that made waves was done with Briles recruit look at the debt chart and tell me who he recruited. The starting line up had 17 jr and sr players. He wasn’t there long enough to take credit for those
So if you are crediting Rhules success at Baylor to Briles, do you credit Aranda's Big 12 championship in his 2nd year to Rhule? Or are you moving the goalposts?

We called Mythbusters and they said: WRONG!
The worst coach other than HCSF in the 21st century at DONU was Riley and he finished at 19-19. Solich, Callahan and Pelini were all above 500 at DONU.

Only HCSF recreated the Bill Jennings era, lots of talented players recruited, worst losing record in DONU history!

And the next coach here could clearly take these talented players plus the Transfer Portal and a sprinkling of real assistant coaches and recreation of the first year of the Bobfather era (9wins and a bowl victory) is not, repeat not impossible.

Just look at all the blown win opportunities in the last four years, now just win HALF of them!

GBR
The hard part about succeeding at Nebraska that I was referring to was the fans. We literally have a thread trashing a guy who MIGHT be the coach here.

Rhules team at Baylor that made waves was done with Briles recruit look at the debt chart and tell me who he recruited. The starting line up had 17 jr and sr players. He wasn’t there long enough to take credit for those
By the same token, Dave Aranda’s 2021 Big 12 Championship team was full of Rhule recruits including the starting QB, starting LT, starting TE and a WR who was the leading receiver. Therefore, Aranda’s 12-2 2021 team made waves with Rhule’s recruits. Look at the 2021 depth chart and you’ll see who Rhule recruited.

Last edited:
Lukewarm about the hire. If he can restore physicality to our team and build an offensive line I get warmer. If he restores the Blackshirts' attack mentality warmer. If he grooms MJ as his heir apparent very warm. It absolutely can work. I'm of the opinion he's got a lot more to work with than what he had at Temple and Baylor his first years. Especially if he keeps MJ. GBR!

I think it's fair to withhold judgment, given our history. I'll be cautiously optimistic if it is Rhule, as I think he'd be a good coach for us, but I'm ultimately at the show me stage. That would be true, though, regardless of who we hire.

why Is me not wanting to hire a coach that has a losing record called stubborn? just my opinion
And you still have to ask. I already said it. Simply repeating a number is not a great argument. But it’s all good. Opinions don’t have to be reasonably formed to be valid. No one knows whether Rhule could succeed at Nebraska; or Meyer, or Sanders, or Leipold, or whoever. But whoever is picked, I’m going to support them.

Last edited:

No matter how you slice it 17 straight losses against ranked teams is pretty terrible. How about somebody in the love fest address that.

Or that every one of his first seasons was worse than the one before he got there.

Or every one of the 3 stops had excellent seasons just 2 years before he got there and the rebuild was more in line with Frost's at UCF when there was just a single down year.

He has not proven sustainable success and left both college programs before is initial upperclassmen had to turnover.

He is not a schemer or play caller and will likely rely on the coordinators that are hired.

He has been out tof the recruiting cycle for 3 years and was never a national recruiter to start with.

Every coach has a value associated with them. Just because Carolina was dumb enough to offer a large contract and is now paying the price, doesn't mean we should do the same. His hiring means we are behind the 8 ball in recruiting and where we go will be contingent in staff and his potential contract value should reflect that.

Other coaches in the top salary bands don't come with that kind of stipulation.
I'll be happy just winning the games we are supposed to win first before worrying about win/loss vs ranked teams. You could argue he was never at a p5 program long enough to go toe to toe with those programs. He had it at Baylor and by year 3 was competitive and went to CFP. Thats a lot more than what we can say we can do right now. The fact that he went 11-1 and won against no ranked teams shows more to the weak Big12 even though they were competitive in the 2 losses (Oklahoma and Georgia). Thats still progress considering.

Not sure the point your trying to make about his first season. Every rebuild has attrition, graduation, etc... At Baylor, you almost have to give him a pass due to the scandal. You cant expect any team to sustain success during something like that. Baylor with Rhule and Penn St. with O'Brian are probably 2 exceptions to the rule where they built the program back better than when they found it. We have neither of that here, and better starting talent to work with than any of his previous stops. And lets face it, he only has to win 3 games to do as well as SF/MJ. His rebuild at Temple was closer to that have Frosts at UCF, however, he sustained success for while he was there netting back to back 10 win seasons for the first time in Temple Football history. Even Aranda had a bad first season after he took over when the team went 11-1 the prior year.

Its just that he hasn't stayed longer than a few years at each stop, which is no different than most coaches coming through group of 5 programs. Argument is not quite justifiable here.

Rhule was an O coordinator at Temple before becoming HC. I guess we'll just ignore that and proceed. I mean it was only Temple...

Out of the recuriting cycle is a moot point. Honestly, why is it even a thing. Have you listened to the man speak? Do you understand what he's about? I could fully trust him in recruiting as long as he keeps/hires people who can also recruit. I honestly think he can do better than Frost or Pelini if given the chance. I also think he has a better eye for raw talent than the prior names as well considering he overachieved with the talent he had at baylor.

to be fair, this isn't a love fest. You cant just pick and choose what you like/dislike without seeing the entirety of the what he's done. He wasn't even my #1. But he's probably the best coach available right now outside of Urban Meyer. And Meyer isn't leaving 9mill a year to come coach at UNL.

That was a huge reason why I was so frustrated with the Frost era. We kept hearing how bad it was when Frost took over but it was nothing compared to what Rhule inherited at Baylor and he had it turned around in year 2 and playing in a CCG in year 3.
Not to mention all those super seniors that were the heart and soul of the team last year were Riley recruits.

good point, can’t argue as that dude could recruit.
Thank you. Rhule should be able to recruit well. At least we can’t say that being in the NFL the last few years is a major barrier to success. And he’ll have a staff to help recruit.

I understand your concern about the losing record but I think you should also consider his ability to take two teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. That requires some chops as a head coach. We know how difficult it is to do.

The other thing to keep in mind about Rhule is he appears to be a solid human being. I know that doesn’t win football games but we all know it’s important. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about distracting scandals, or an inability to relate to Husker fans. Again, it doesn’t win games but it’s an important quality in a head coach.

I think Nebraska fans will also like his football philosophy. He’s a former Penn State linebacker. He’s coached linebackers and D line. He coached O line in the NFL. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about our defense playing tag during practice. And I don’t think he’ll accept the disgraceful O line play we’ve seen under Frost.

I’d just say, don’t get too caught up in the record while overlooking that those bad seasons were put behind him as he took those teams to 10 and 11 win seasons. He did it twice, at two programs. Let’s give him credit for that. I personally like the hire. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. If he sucks in a few years I’ll stand in line with you, ‘fire Matt Rhule’ sign in hand. But let’s first see if he can turn this thing around for us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back