• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

If you call me pessimistic for talking about his record than yes. Fact is we are about to hire a coach that has a losing record as a head coach heck he had several opportunities over 2 decades and still a loser record, you think he’s the right guy for Nebraska. Were was his tremendous work done. what named player is he attributed to developing ? Baylor was built by Briles and he never built a thing at Temple. They sucked then and still

There was nothing remaining of Briles work after the scandal. Nothing.

That’s what frost said about Riley as do a lot of coaches that take over programs in hopes that it gets printed. It’s a form of platering. Gives him or her a hook to hang their hat when Negotiations are needed

I would be happy with this hire. But I don’t think he is coming to groom anyone. Mickey is 7 years older than Matt for one thing. I hope he has a nice successful run in Lincoln and Mickey stays to be a big part of the turnaround. Together I think they could recruit the hell out of Louisiana and Texas.
But Rhule has been a HC for longer. I think Mickey is critical in this hire to help transition. For that matter so is Busch IMO

The concerns from Baylor's point of view should be far bigger than losing recruits as there is a severe culture change needed within the program, but the task of rebuilding on the field for whoever is leading the program in the future will certainly be made more difficult by these departures of young talent.

There's no need for the NCAA to sanction Baylor because transfers and firings will crush the program anyway.

So we are going to count on a coach to recruit who hasn’t been in front of a recruit in 3 years. Recruiting is a relationship business so I ask myself how many high school seniors he actually has relationships with, also how many players are going to follow him to replace the ones who will be leaving. Answer is none.
Didn’t Bill Callahan come from the NFL and immediately recruit a top ten class to Nebraska?

Didn’t Bill Callahan come from the NFL and immediately recruit a top ten class to Nebraska?
Rhules team at Baylor that made waves was done with Briles recruit look at the debt chart and tell me who he recruited. The starting line up had 17 jr and sr players. He wasn’t there long enough to take credit for those

Ik

so does every other coach. But he hasn’t built a relationship with a high school kid in 3 years. You got blinders on if you think he can over come existing relationships with Nebraska street cred. Relationships with high school kids take years of cultivating.
Likely, he’ll hire assistants with said relationships.

He been a head coach for lots of years and his past says he loses more games than he win. That’s a fact, another fact is he comes into Nebraska with the worst win lost percentage of any coach going back 60 years. If he’s the dude you want to hang your hat on go for it. But that fact remains he’s a loser in the win loss column .450 to be exact
His record as a college football coach also shows that within a few years his team is winning 10 to 11 games.

When Rhule arrived, the roster was gutted. There were only 45 scholarship players on the team, with the attrition due to a combination of outgoing seniors, early draft entries, transfers, and 2016 recruits who asked out of their letters of intent. The 2017 recruiting class had only one verbal commitment at the time of Rhule's hiring.

"Thank goodness there wasn't an early signing period at the time," Rhule said.

Had there been, it would've been virtually impossible for Rhule to get the roster back to the 85-scholarship limit so quickly. Instead, Rhule and his staff scrambled furiously to fill out the class, and by February signing day, inked 27 freshmen, including four early enrollees. After adding some transfers later in the offseason and rewarding some deserving walk-ons with scholarships, the Bears were back to 85.

45 scholarship players. 45.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back