• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

Zzz

Let me restate that. I'd lose confidence that hiring Rhule will lead to sustained success. Guess I'll always have hope, but tempered with a healthy amount of skepticism that he will be NUs savior. But thanks for your concern:rolleyes:
Maybe all we should be looking for is a solid coach instead of seeking a savior. That is an expectation that will lead to frustration and failure. Once we have a well rounded program that can occasionally beat the strong teams on the schedule, we can have grand ideas about championships. Whoever takes over the program will likely struggle to win games next year unless they magically cure this o-line and find a QB that can play at a very high level.

Maybe all we should be looking for is a solid coach instead of seeking a savior. That is an expectation that will lead to frustration and failure. Once we have a well rounded program that can occasionally beat the strong teams on the schedule, we can have grand ideas about championships. Whoever takes over the program will likely struggle to win games next year unless they magically cure this o-line and find a QB that can play at a very high level.

I have no grand idea about championships. And we're quite a ways from occasionally beating the strong teams on our schedule. Again, not a big concern of mine.

I'm currently only interested in reversing trends with the 2-18 record against Big Ten West division teams. And winning seasons.

When you've become one of the very worst P5 teams, the last thing that crosses my mind is a championship.

We need to learn how to beat mediocre teams -- because we gravitated well below that.

I’ve used this analogy many times before, but if the prom queen wants to go back to your place, are you really going to turn her down just because you don’t think you’ll end up marrying her?
Damn. I mean...this is truly the greatest analogy ever posted on Huskermax!!! I mean like on the history of everything

Rhule turned around Temple, went from 2 wins to 6, 10, and 10; Baylor was a dumpster fire and he went 1 win, 7, then 11. He's got the best record of success of any coach since Tom Osborne. We'd be fortunate to have him.

Rhule turned around Temple, went from 2 wins to 6, 10, and 10; Baylor was a dumpster fire and he went 1 win, 7, then 11. He's got the best record of success of any coach since Tom Osborne. We'd be fortunate to have him.
I keep hearing the dumpster fire analogy applied to the situation at Baylor before Rhule but Briles had them playing well until the scandal hit. They went 7-6 during the hottest part of the "dumpster fire" and won a bowl game the year before Rhule took over. I really don't mean to take anything away from Rhule's job there but I personally don't think it was as bad as conventional wisdom would have us believe.

I keep hearing the dumpster fire analogy applied to the situation at Baylor before Rhule but Briles had them playing well until the scandal hit. They went 7-6 during the hottest part of the "dumpster fire" and won a bowl game the year before Rhule took over. I really don't mean to take anything away from Rhule's job there but I personally don't think it was as bad as conventional wisdom would have us believe.

After Grobes interim season is when it hit bottom. Because of the sanctions, players left or decommitted in droves.

Regardless who the hire is, we'll have some door slamming, foot pounding temper tantrums from a few who didn't get 'their' guy.

1) It isn't your call.
2) If you are still here you're a sucker for punishment as Riley followed by Frost has been the biggest downhill crap fest we could have ever imagined. If you'll put up with them, you'll put up with whoever Trev hires.
3) Anyone of the 4-5 regularly mentioned guys in the search are a quantum leap forward for the program in terms of leadership and development, something both Riley and Frost didn't feel were needed to be a part of cfb.
4) It isn't your call.

Rhule will have us playing respectable, quality football in short order.
As it should be because this is a football board for all to express their opinion. I’m a big fan of Rhule if he is the chosen one but what we have learned in the last 30 years is the minority was often right. Maybe his critics can shed light we don’t see that encourages us to evaluate as we go instead of drinking and regurgitating all the koolaid like we have in the past.

No it’s not their call. But the call is still being made by people on the University payroll and by nature of their position even the critics should be able to speak up and have an opinion.

Our job as Rhule supporters is express our opinions back as much as we can. That’s the idea. Even if they are as severe as @Oldgrappler. How stupid will we feel in a few years if he was right about Rhule the whole time?

We're actually extremely lucky that up to this point it's only us and Auburn as true top openings and there's actually a few good names that might be available. Look at the last few years. What was there last year, like a quarter of P5 jobs open it seemed?

We're actually extremely lucky that up to this point it's only us and Auburn as true top openings and there's actually a few good names that might be available. Look at the last few years. What was there last year, like a quarter of P5 jobs open it seemed?
That is part of the reason I have admitted my position of wanting SF fired last year might have been wrong. Trev has a better hand to play this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back