• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

If he leaves us after a 10-3 record (as at Temple) or a 11-3 record (as at Baylor), we'll be in a far better place than we are now. I can live with that.
You say that now, but history has shown that in both the Dr. Tom and Bo Pelini eras, a large number of fans VOCALLY said it was NOT enough and tried to get those coaches removed for not winning championships or for the loses being "too big".

I know we start from a bad place but we should not let that deter us from recognizing what our true goals are, getting back to contending and winning championships.

If we aren't going to do that, why try at all? Why not just be a volleyball school that does try for championships?

GBR

You say that now, but history has shown that in both the Dr. Tom and Bo Pelini eras, a large number of fans VOCALLY said it was NOT enough and tried to get those coaches removed for not winning championships or for the loses being "too big".

I know we start from a bad place but we should not let that deter us from recognizing what our true goals are, getting back to contending and winning championships.

If we aren't going to do that, why try at all? Why not just be a volleyball school that does try for championships?

GBR
Your point is valid. However, our more recent history of No bowl games and averaging 4 wins a year will remain close in our heads as a reminder for the majority of the fans. At least till after our second conference championship game massacre. ;)

Maybe all we should be looking for is a solid coach instead of seeking a savior. That is an expectation that will lead to frustration and failure. Once we have a well rounded program that can occasionally beat the strong teams on the schedule, we can have grand ideas about championships. Whoever takes over the program will likely struggle to win games next year unless they magically cure this o-line and find a QB that can play at a very high level.
On the way to championships we beat mediocre teams. Sorry I don’t feel the desire to just be good. It won’t happen over night

GBR
I, for one, can't wait for the next time we can start bickering about whether 9 wins is enough again. We'll just have to cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

First things first. This team has a HUGE chasm to cross before that's a problem. Winning records and bowl games (even crappy ones) will keep this fan base quite happy after the misery its experienced the last several years. They just want to not be a laughingstock anymore.

On the way to championships we beat mediocre teams. Sorry I don’t feel the desire to just be good. It won’t happen over night
Nobody just desires to be good! No one suggested that. But EXPECTING a new coach to come in and play for championships in year one and two is counter-productive. Maybe it will happen and everyone hopes it will. But it may not happen. Bo did it and we know what happened to him. Frankly, before the mid 90’s, fans were calling for Osborne to be fired. Luckily, we didn’t have social media back then to amplify that minority.

For me, complaining about a coach before its even clear he’s been hired, without knowing anything about who his staff is going to be, is just getting ahead of the game. Maybe we should give whoever is hired an opportunity to build something before we try to tear it down.

I personally liked Pelini, he was a member of our church, and I was always reluctant to meet eyes with him for fear he would tell me to drop and give him 50. He always seemed to be "on". The players loved him, and he fit the strong character mold, unfortunately his onion skin did him in along with those uncharacteristic 70-point beat downs.

If it is Ruhle he will have to buckle up his chin strap, this isn't the Temple or Baylor or even the Carolina Panthers fan base. This is a high reward, high risk fan base not for the faint of heart. This can be said about anyone who takes the job, a strong character and a thick skin will come in handy.
And depending on how he is perceived to have been treated, we may have difficulty finding new coaches to follow on after him. No coach wants to come try to fix a program where fans are not going to give him a fair shake and are not grateful for the efforts.

Nobody just desires to be good! No one suggested that. But EXPECTING a new coach to come in and play for championships in year one and two is counter-productive. Maybe it will happen and everyone hopes it will. But it may not happen. Bo did it and we know what happened to him. Frankly, before the mid 90’s, fans were calling for Osborne to be fired. Luckily, we didn’t have social media back then to amplify that minority.

For me, complaining about a coach before its even clear he’s been hired, without knowing anything about who his staff is going to be, is just getting ahead of the game. Maybe we should give whoever is hired an opportunity to build something before we try to tear it down.
@BigRedMax , anyway we can make this last paragraph (or sentence)some type of banner?

GBR
He said he was fine if Rhule left after getting us to 10 or 11 wins, not that he would be satisfied long term with that success rate.

But you are right, many would be calling for firing a coach with that kind of record.

Are you suggesting we not learn from those fools?
Nobody has suggested otherwise

GBR
It's a rare bird that plays for championships every year. I think the Tom Osborne model of consistent closeness gives the best opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle, on the fortunate confluence of elite players, coaching, luck of the bounce.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back