• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Raiola commits to Georgia

Who is there that is better than Raiola?

Carson Beck is probably going to be the starter in 2023. He signed with UGA in 2019 -- meaning he's five years older than Dylan Raiola. 4-star QB.

Then we'll see in 2024. Maybe Beck plays an extra "Covid" year. Maybe Raiola sits a year like Arch Manning will do. Maybe Dylan comes in and takes the job right away.

I don't get the idea that the best QB you've ever signed is likely to bolt Georgia, as you say. Is there a bunch of discussion in Georgia about Dylan ultimately leaving the team? Message board I can read?

First game of the 2024 season: Georgia vs Clemson.
Exactly. If he bolts Georgia who says he will be good enough for us in 2 or 3 years?

I'm looking forward to an Arch Manning - Dylan Raiola matchup. I'll snag a ticket off StubHub if/when that happens in Austin.
It'll likely be a Ole Miss versus Nebraska matchup in a Texas based Bowl Game ... but I don't think Austin hosts any bowl games!

I wish him and any Raiola's the best. Especially Donovan and our O-Line.
Did the rumored $8 mill. NIL deal ever get confirmed?

But he is also going to be just another QB in a long line of UGA QBs. The chances of him delineating himself are less. UGA is going to continue to recruit elite QBs.
And yet, he still chose UGA, which tells me he is a gamer and someone I want on my team. I don't understand how people can look at that as a negative.

He's going there to win a job over other elite players. I wish Nebraska had more gamers like that.

I don't disagree with your assessment.

It's just more than a little ironic to me that all the elite HS/College players gravitate to the elite college programs to increases their changes of getting to the NFL. If their "easy button" approach is successful, they will be a HIGH draft pick, meaning they will go to one of the worst NFL teams of the previous year. What a rude awakening this must be for those elites who can't take the easy way out (unless you whine like Elway did and get traded) and pick where they play at the next level.

I wonder what first choice/1st rounders like the Bryce Youngs/Joe Burrows/Trevor Lawrences of the world were thinking when they showed up at that first mini-camp and they were arguably on the worst team in the NFL? Must be quite the culture shock to them to longer be surrounded by nothing but the best of the best...
Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence are doing quite well, so not sure what your point is. Great QBs turn programs around. It's what they do. They make everyone around them better.

And don't forget, there is a fine line from a talent perspective in the NFL. Those guys may have joined "bad teams," but in most cases, teams arent bad because of talent in the NFL, it starts with the front office and coaching staffs.

And yet, he still chose UGA, which tells me he is a gamer and someone I want on my team. I don't understand how people can look at that as a negative.

He's going there to win a job over other elite players. I wish Nebraska had more gamers like that.
Is Justin Fields a gamer? How about Caleb Williams? Jalen Hurts? Russell Wilson? Joe Burrow?

No one is suggesting DR isn’t a gamer, nor is CT or Logan Smothers but things change. What is/was important now may not be important next year. DR may realize that the reasons he made his choice today aren’t as important as they were.

He may think he’s all that and can win the starting spot once he arrives. There are two 4*s and one 5* on the roster who might disagree.

...or maybe they just gave him a lot more NIL $$?

If you can get the top player in the country, you take it. But if you’re trying to build this egalitarian culture from the ground up maybe it’s better to not have a superstar, million-dollar NIL qb in the building.

Let him go be a big fish in a big pond and who knows, maybe he comes back after our pond gets renovated.
I agree. Our biggest problems right now at Nebraska are probably not related to the lack of a 5 star quarterback. We need to fix our fundamental foundational problems so that we can take full advantage of the skills provided by a superstar QB. We show top recruits that we have fixed those problems and I think we will be more successful in bringing them into the fold.

I’ll just get you a security shirt and watch em from the field. Then hang out with me guarding cheerleaders room
1684337936882.png

...or maybe they just gave him a lot more NIL $$?
Based on his upbringing, I'd venture to guess that:
#1 - He feels a championship organization gives him the best chance to showcase his abilities
#2 - He's competitive and confident to the point that he's not afraid of who's on the current roster.

He can get $ anywhere he goes.

Last edited:
Is Justin Fields a gamer? How about Caleb Williams? Jalen Hurts? Russell Wilson? Joe Burrow?

No one is suggesting DR isn’t a gamer, nor is CT or Logan Smothers but things change. What is/was important now may not be important next year. DR may realize that the reasons he made his choice today aren’t as important as they were.

He may think he’s all that and can win the starting spot once he arrives. There are two 4*s and one 5* on the roster who might disagree.
You missed the point entirely.

I responded to your comment that he was going to be "just another guy" at Georgia because of all the talent they have. My point is that I love the fact that he's going there knowing this, understanding the level of competition at his position, and he has zero fear of what's ahead of him. All of this knowing that if he went to Nebraska he would be a starter from day one. To me, this sounds like a kid who wants to be great and he's putting himself into the best possible position to achieve his goals. Ultimately he's gambling on himself and his abilities. I wish every kid had that attitude.

This is the true definition of "No fear of failure"

Last edited:

You missed the point entirely.

I responded to your comment that he was just going to be another guy at Georgia because of all the talent they have. My point is that I love the fact that he's going there knowing this, understanding the level of competition at his position, and he has zero fear of what's ahead of him. All of this knowing that if he went to Nebraska he would be a starter from day one. To me, this sounds like a kid who wants to be the greatest that he can be and he's putting himself into the best position possible to do so. Ultimately he's gambling on himself and his abilities. I wish every kid had that attitude.
And you’re missing my point entirely…the decision to go to UGA has nothing to do with whether he is more or less confident in himself ... every athlete at their level has that air of confidence, that belief in himself.

But anyone rationally looking at the situation knows there is much more that goes into showing up on campus and being the starter from day one, even at Nebraska.

The reasons to come to Nebraska are different than those going to Georgia. In fact, I could argue that going to UGA - knowing you will be surrounded by 4* and 5* athletes, knowing your program is already almost penciled in as a CFP qualifier, knowing that worst case scenario is you lose out on the starting position and you can transfer is an EASIER route than going to a rebuild, going to a program that isn't at the level UGA is at ... is less courageous than going to NU.

Come to NU, be successful and you will guarantee yourself significant life after football opportunities ... either around the sport or in the business world. Come to NU and be part of the rebuild that would transform the program.

Right now he has a much better chance to win and be successful at UGA ... but he's likely, even if he's the starter and high NFL draft pick, more likely to be just another QB in the long line of successful QBs at UGA.

Last edited:

And you’re missing my point entirely…the decision to go to UGA has nothing to do with whether he is more or less confident in himself ... every athlete at their level has that air of confidence, that belief in himself.

But anyone rationally looking at the situation knows there is much more that goes into showing up on campus and being the starter from day one, even at Nebraska.

The reasons to come to Nebraska are different than those going to Georgia. In fact, I could argue that going to UGA - knowing you will be surrounded by 4* and 5* athletes, knowing your program is already almost penciled in as a CFP qualifier, knowing that worst case scenario is you lose out on the starting position and you can transfer is an EASIER route than going to a rebuild, going to a program that isn't at the level UGA is at ... is less courageous than going to NU.

Come to NU, be successful and you will guarantee yourself significant life after football opportunities ... either around the sport or in the business world. Come to NU and be part of the rebuild that would transform the program.

Right now he has a much better chance to win and be successful at UGA ... but he's likely, even if he's the starter and high NFL draft pick, more likely to be just another QB in the long line of successful QBs at UGA.
Nebraska fans are hilarious. You do realize if he succeeds at UGA he will have a lifetime of opportunities there as well, don't you? It isn't mutually exclusive to Nebraska.

And I disagree about going to Nebraska being a harder route. He will be a day 1 starter regardless of who else Rhule brings in. At Georgia, the competition will be fierce and he will have to earn the right to play among other 4 and 5 star players.

I think we believe that Nebraska is completely different than other bluebloods. That's simply not the case. Right now, UGA provides a greater opportunity to win a championship, win a Heisman, and to set himself up to be an early round draft pick. Period.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back