• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question?

Few are ready for the NFL out of high school. It’s different than basketball. Adrian Peterson comes to mind. Zero quarterbacks are ready for the NFL out of high school.

Maybe not right out of high school -- but not far removed from it.

High school athletics in general are much more advanced now than when you and I were in high school. Facilities, weight training, nutrition, time commitment, etc. And NIL may eventually make that even more the case. Now sophomores in high school are competing with others for million-dollar NIL pay days -- so that will drive them even more to be better than their peers.

Prior to this century, it was very uncommon (rare even) to see a freshman in college make a significant impact. Even as recently as the late-80s, Nebraska had a freshman/JV football team separate from varsity. 18-19 year old kids weren't ready to compete on the varsity level. Now, many are stars right out of high school, even getting Heisman mentions.

The two best quarterbacks in college football last season were probably Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. 19 year old kids. A few decades ago, that never happened.

I think the gap between each level of sports continues to shrink. The dollar drives that. Back when there wasn't a lot of money to be made in a career of professional sports, many to most athletes weren't training their asses off. They were drinking, smoking, and eating whatever they felt like instead.

I don't think it's completely unrealistic to imagine a time from now -- maybe 10-15 years? -- where college athletics serves no purpose for any athlete good enough to pursue sports as a career. And that includes football. And maybe that's for the best. College football may just become the players not good enough to be professionals. And then NIL dies and we're back to an amateur sport.

I've mentioned before how I'm now a bigger NFL fan than college football. I didn't say that for 80-90% of my life. But in the past few years, my interest in college football has diminished. If I didn't have a team to root for (Nebraska), I doubt I'd watch college football any longer.

Last edited:

Best players are not necessarily in CBB. Some are leaving for short professional stints overseas and/or G-League. Many of the best are one and done’s. Chet Holmgren for example has not grown into the player he will be in a few years.

If Bryce Young went to XFL then Casey Thompson or someone like him will end up QB-ing Alabama.

There are 65 P5 schools each with 85 scholarships … 5,525 athletes. If 100 of them, albeit the best of them, went to the XFL there is still 98.2% left for college.
College basketball sucks, and has for some time. That said, the NCAA tourney is still my fav event.

We shall see how it works out. Time will tell. There are definitely problems here, and more coming to a stadium near you.

Maybe not right out of high school -- but not far removed from it.

High school athletics in general are much more advanced now than when you and I were in high school. Facilities, weight training, nutrition, time commitment, etc. And NIL may eventually make that even more the case. Now sophomores in high school are competing with others for million-dollar NIL pay days -- so that will drive them even more to be better than their peers.

Prior to this century, it was very uncommon (rare even) to see a freshman in college make a significant impact. Even as recently as the late-80s, Nebraska had a freshman/JV football team separate from varsity. 18-19 year old kids weren't ready to compete on the varsity level. Now, many are stars right out of high school, even getting Heisman mentions.

The two best quarterbacks in college football last season were probably Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. 19 year old kids. A few decades ago, that never happened.

I think the gap between each level of sports continues to shrink. The dollar drives that. Back when there wasn't a lot of money to be made in a career of professional sports, many to most athletes weren't training their asses off. They were drinking, smoking, and eating whatever they felt like instead.

I don't think it's completely unrealistic to imagine a time from now -- maybe 10-15 years? -- where college athletics serves no purpose for any athlete good enough to pursue sports as a career. And that includes football. And maybe that's for the best. College football may just become the players not good enough to be professionals. And then NIL dies and we're back to an amateur sport.

I've mentioned before how I'm now a bigger NFL fan than college football. I didn't say that for 80-90% of my life. But in the past few years, my interest in college football has diminished. If I didn't have a team to root for (Nebraska), I doubt I'd watch college football any longer.
I think we just don’t know what’s coming. Could be many things. None of it is good for college football. That’s for sure.

Just lol. No response for this nonsense. They are getting something and always have.

I bet you'd be thrilled to make millions upon millions for your company and be told that you're just an intern, so you should be thankful.
The nonsense is you and other fans didn't say a word when coaches salaries were skyrocketing and conferences were signing hundred million dollar TV deals.

So the coaches making millions wasn't a contributing factor as well? How about schools making money off the players through uniform sales and video games?
How does that change the fact that the student athletes are getting 6 figure educations for free, voluntarily, in exchange for playing the greatest sport in the world? I'm sure the countless walk ons who have gone through the program are really shedding tears.
I bet you'd be thrilled to make millions upon millions for your company and be told that you're just an intern, so you should be thankful.
The nonsense is you and other fans didn't say a word when coaches salaries were skyrocketing and conferences were signing hundred million dollar TV deals.
If I'm getting a free education in a profession of my choosing along with having my housing and food taken care of? You're damn right I'd be thankful.

How does that change the fact that the student athletes are getting 6 figure educations for free, voluntarily, in exchange for playing the greatest sport in the world? I'm sure the countless walk ons who have gone through the program are really shedding tears.

If I'm getting a free education in a profession of my choosing along with having my housing and food taken care of? You're damn right I'd be thankful.

Ok

OMG, the coaches are professionals. Do you not understand bleeping amateurism? You just don’t get it. Don’t like it? Don’t bleeping play. Go find another Avenue. No one forced anyone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back